Is 20,000 (minus taxes) enough to live on in Palo Alto?

20,000 is not enough, but it would do if you have a roomate. I would recommend trying to get an on-campus apartment and then sharing it with one or two others.

if you live a little southeast of palo alto, like in santa clara or sunnyvale, you can find cheaper rent. i'm living just south of palo alto on much less than 20K.

Guest Moniqua

I've been living here for three years for less than that.

You can be on campus, or get a room in Palo Alto for even less than campus prices- you can find very decent rooms in a house with roommates for 600-750. Transportation to San Francisco on Caltrain is approx. 125 unlimited per month, but is completely covered by University, and you should take advantage of that.

Food can be a tiny bit expensive - the closest supermarket in downtown PA is a Wholefoods. However, you can bike to Safeway easily a couple of times a week if you want slightly cheaper stuff.

Otherwise, yes, the entire Bay Area is a rather expensive place, but you'll be able to pull it off without going into debt if you're not too extravagant.

have fun! it is truly heaven on earth here - i'm looking outside at the beautiful green lawns, the trees in bloom, the gorgeous hills... I hate the thought I'll be leaving for grad school in a few short months.