Re-apply next year? ..Tranfer to better school?

LL2011

summary:

I decided to apply to grad school (very) late in the game last year (late oct 2010)- totally my fault. I have been accepted to 3 average schools and rejected from 2 top tier schools for FALL '11. One of the programs I got in (UMass Amherst) would be a great fit but not ideal.

Option A: Stick with Umass

Option B: Enroll at Umass, try to transfer after 1 semester or 1 year to a higher ranked school (is that even possible?)

Opition C: Don't go anywhere and re-apply for Fall 2012 (theoretically with a stronger application)

Background:

I only took the GRE once with a week's worth of studying (650 Q, 550 V, 4.5 W). graduated 2 yrs ago w/ 3.2 GPA, I have a little over 3 years of work experience (senior RA in pharma). The only redeeming qualities I had as an applicant was my senior research proposal (won school award) and 4 strong letters of recommendation.

I knew going in that all of this -by no stretch of the immagination- ranked me as a top candidate but I figured I didn't have anything to lose by applying to a few top schools (ie. MIT, Harvard, Berkeley). So far I've received 3 acceptance letters (NEU, UConn, Umass Amherst) and 2 rejections (Berkley and MIT... not in the least bit surprised). I'm still waiting to hear back from Harvard (99.9% sure I won't get in) and 3 more mid tier schools.

With that said; I find the program at Umass Amherst to be a great fit (of all the mid tier schools I've applied to); I have been in contact with a professor and a department head since Nov. and they both think that I/my project would be a great complement to their lab/department. This is all fine and dandy but I find MIT's program to be an even better fit for me (100% on the dot to be exact). But I did not get in..

Here's what I know: If I spend a month or so studying I would get a much better score on the GRE. Likewise, I am confident I can get a strong GPA in my first year at UMass (to clarify, my undergrad biology major GPA was a 3.5, the only reason my overall GPA was low is due to the classes I took for a business minor that drove my grades down ..and other random classes I had to repeat).

I don't know what I should do and any advice will help. Thanks in advance

PS: I applied to Cell and Molec. Bio - & - Biomedical Sci. PhD programs

I would suggest to go to UMass, the chances of getting into MIT are slim for everyone even with great scores. Also, you are a good fit for the program and that's what PhD studies is all about. It depends on what you want to do. You could always get a job as a tech for a year and netwrok at MIT, sounds like your good at that.

On a side note, I also applied to Umass Amherst with a Master's degree in Biology, great numbers, letters and 7 years of research experience but have not heard a thing. Do you know if they are having later interviews. Congrats on your acceptence, if I were in your shoes I would go to Amherst, it's less about the prestige of the school and more about who you work with and what you do, you could publish 4 papers at Umass and only 1 at MIT, or vica versa, who knows. But yay, good luck!

Look: GRE and grades aren't everything. They especially aren't everything if you are applying to a top-tier school like MIT. Improving your GRE scores and grades won't help you get into a top tier school.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In your shoes, I would just accept the offer to UMass, then make sure I got an advisor who focused on personal development, AND preferably had ties to people at top tier schools who could nab you a prestigious postdoc.

(Full disclosure: I turned down a top-tier program for a lesser known one, but now work for an advisor who has strong ties to Harvard and MIT among other places...and she is definitely well known in her field.)

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. This is all making sense ..I guess I just needed to hear other opinions.

I'm not sure if the procedure is the same for the Master's program, but as for the PhD the MCB program retreat/interviews are held during the weekend of Feb 25 ... hope this helps, best of luck :)

I would suggest to go to UMass, the chances of getting into MIT are slim for everyone even with great scores. Also, you are a good fit for the program and that's what PhD studies is all about. It depends on what you want to do. You could always get a job as a tech for a year and netwrok at MIT, sounds like your good at that.

On a side note, I also applied to Umass Amherst with a Master's degree in Biology, great numbers, letters and 7 years of research experience but have not heard a thing. Do you know if they are having later interviews. Congrats on your acceptence, if I were in your shoes I would go to Amherst, it's less about the prestige of the school and more about who you work with and what you do, you could publish 4 papers at Umass and only 1 at MIT, or vica versa, who knows. But yay, good luck!

I think I'll do just that. I really am excited about Amherst now. thanks a bunch for the feedback!

Look: GRE and grades aren't everything. They especially aren't everything if you are applying to a top-tier school like MIT. Improving your GRE scores and grades won't help you get into a top tier school.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In your shoes, I would just accept the offer to UMass, then make sure I got an advisor who focused on personal development, AND preferably had ties to people at top tier schools who could nab you a prestigious postdoc.

(Full disclosure: I turned down a top-tier program for a lesser known one, but now work for an advisor who has strong ties to Harvard and MIT among other places...and she is definitely well known in her field.)

I was told at a conference by a very respectable person, nobel prize winner, etc. "You go to graduate school at the middle of the road school. The reason is you get more experience and people tell you why you are doing something not just how. When it's time to do a post-doc, that is when you go to a top notch program, those programs the mentor is around less and you will then have the independence you need to grow"

I second everyone else. :) Also I think trying to transfer would kill your chances because it could make you look wishy washy. Have fun a UMass! :)

Thanks lab ratta-tat-tat for your post too because I have also been agonizing over the same thing!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that post :) both lab ratta-tat-tat and LL2011.

I've been in a similar situation shh,

I've been accepted to a more "prestigious" school, but would really rather go to UMass Amherst (where I've interviewed but have not been accepted). I've been wondering if I could feel alright about not going to the "prestigious" school if UMass offers me admission.

Oh school is stressful :)

I wish you all luck and will possibly see you around LL2011

I was told at a conference by a very respectable person, nobel prize winner, etc. "You go to graduate school at the middle of the road school. The reason is you get more experience and people tell you why you are doing something not just how. When it's time to do a post-doc, that is when you go to a top notch program, those programs the mentor is around less and you will then have the independence you need to grow"