Applying PhD Willing to Accept Terminal MA SOP question

platosman

Hi all. I'm applying to PhD programs (Columbia, NYU, CUNY, Cornell, Boston U, Northeastern) for the first time in a moon shot since I just graduated with a BA in philosophy, minor in political science from a SUNY. Like the title says, I'm willing to accept a terminal MA and pursue scholarships on my own. Northeastern says, along with many schools, that there is a button I can click to indicate this. Great. However, NE also indicates that I "may also include this in [my SOP]," has anyone tried this or would you recommend it? Can it hurt me if I do so? Seems like I'd have to go about it in just the right way in my SOP so as to not let it weaken my interest in the PhD but also demonstrate my interest in beginning grad school regardless of guarantees into a PhD program. 

Thanks!

Hey, First of all, best of luck with all your applications!

I have not tried this, but I've been admitted to MAs in similar-level programs and my recommendation would certainly be to avoid mentioning it in your SOP. I say this for two reasons:

- It would most likely give you lower chances for your PhD applications. Someone on the committee would certainly be thinking "We can just send them toward the MA and they can come back better next year". 

- I honestly believe it'd also hurt your chances at the MA programs. I say this because a lot of times when you barely make the cutoff for PhDs, they send you towards the MA and give you decent/full funding. Them knowing that you were already okay with the MA program makes them think you can somewhat afford it/take loans for it. 

Not mentioning it and aiming for PhDs with the "worst" scenario being dropped to MA is a good strategy. I would also recommend applying for MA programs directly at different schools. (MAPSS at Chicago is great if you get full funding, LSE MSc is also great when you get a scholarship that covers tuition, same for Oxford etc...). Another point I'd recommend is, also apply for independent funding for an MA program (i.e. Rhodes, Fullbright etc...). These are great as they not only pay your tuition but they're seen as prestigious and will help you next cycle when you apply for PhDs. I think getting full funding for MA programs is a great booster for PhD applications and is not mentioned enough in this forum. 

Best of luck!

Edited by redax

10 hours ago, redax said:

- I honestly believe it'd also hurt your chances at the MA programs. I say this because a lot of times when you barely make the cutoff for PhDs, they send you towards the MA and give you decent/full funding. Them knowing that you were already okay with the MA program makes them think you can somewhat afford it/take loans for it. 

Not mentioning it and aiming for PhDs with the "worst" scenario being dropped to MA is a good strategy.

Thank you so much for the advice! I definitely will shy away from mentioning it in my SOP. But are you saying that even if I don't check the "I'm willing to accept terminal MA" button they may offer a not/partially/fully funded MA? I'm worried that if I don't check it they won't consider it an option for my application.

Thanks again!

For clarification I'm pursuing grad degrees in political science I somehow forgot to mention that part!

Edited by platosman

20 hours ago, platosman said:

Thank you so much for the advice! I definitely will shy away from mentioning it in my SOP. But are you saying that even if I don't check the "I'm willing to accept terminal MA" button they may offer a not/partially/fully funded MA? I'm worried that if I don't check it they won't consider it an option for my application.

Thanks again!

For clarification I'm pursuing grad degrees in political science I somehow forgot to mention that part!

No certainly tick the box, just don't mention it in your SOP. I also am talking about PoliSci, your thread was posted on the political science page of the forum, so it's in the right place!