Teachers College 2024

PopCultureScholar

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2024 at 3:05 PM, gphmfc said:

Hi there, I also applied for a Ph.D. program at TC and am still awaiting status updates.

For your Ed.D. program, is it fully funded? 

TC is a bit odd, and the answer is it depends (policy below). My program only admits full-time, and thus, some money is provided. Whether they will be stingy (not get enough points) or over-accept and offer someone partial/no funding is another story. I work full-time in the field, so I don't need or want an assistantship. I am finishing my second master's at TC (the first one at an R2), and they gave me partial non-service funding in the form of points. I hope I am admitted with points that cover tuition, and that is it. 

"

Doctoral Candidates

Full and partial funding packages are offered to qualified candidates. Such support may include, but is not limited to: points (tuition scholarship), stipend, fellowship, or other work opportunities. Doctoral funding is not guaranteed, and students may be admitted without the promise of continuous funding. Prospective students should speak with the faculty in their academic program of interest."

From: https://www.tc.columbia.edu/admission/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/

17 minutes ago, gphmfc said:

Hi there, I received an email to check application status update. I got accepted in EdD program in Mathematics Ed in TC at Columbia University.

Congrats! Welcome to Columbia! Did it come with the funding offer?

Hopefully, this is a sign I will hear as Math Ed is under the larger department where my current program is housed and where I applied for an Ed.D., so maybe I will hear soon. Regarding my doc app, I just got off with Admissions; they said I would hear mid to late March but I think it's just a canned answer. So many people are getting offers. That is likely the deadline for departments to get everything in. 

46 minutes ago, PopCultureScholar said:

Congrats! Welcome to Columbia! Did it come with the funding offer?

Hopefully, this is a sign I will hear as Math Ed is under the larger department where my current program is housed and where I applied for an Ed.D., so maybe I will hear soon. Regarding my doc app, I just got off with Admissions; they said I would hear mid to late March but I think it's just a canned answer. So many people are getting offers. That is likely the deadline for departments to get everything in. 

Thanks. I'm waiting for funding decision. I think later the department or PI will reach out to me.

What EdD program or specialization in TC did you apply to?

1 hour ago, gphmfc said:

Thanks. I'm waiting for funding decision. I think later the department or PI will reach out to me.

What EdD program or specialization in TC did you apply to?

Have my fingers crossed, you get full funding! I applied to the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology & Media. 

15 hours ago, PopCultureScholar said:

Have my fingers crossed, you get full funding! I applied to the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology & Media. 

Thank you! Even then, I feel like the living expenses in New York are too expensive for me.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:36 AM, gphmfc said:

Thank you! Even then, I feel like the living expenses in New York are too expensive for me.

Yes. It is quite impossible on a student's salary to live without roommates or in campus housing/loans. Yet it is the number 1 school in the US, so if academia is the goal, it makes sense. If not, then I could see pivoting to a more affordable place.  I live 2 hours away and will take the bus for classes. It is not a fun commute, but you do what you have to do. Hoping can make it one day instead of multiple a week.

8 minutes ago, PopCultureScholar said:

Yes. It is quite impossible on a student's salary to live without roommates or in campus housing/loans. Yet it is the number 1 school in the US, so if academia is the goal, it makes sense. If not, then I could see pivoting to a more affordable place.  I live 2 hours away and will take the bus for classes. It is not a fun commute, but you do what you have to do. Hoping can make it one day instead of multiple a week.

This is all, of course, if I get in which I am not sure I have a shot. Hopeful but quite weary.