Fall 2024 Business PhD applicants

PhD2024

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 1:52 PM, keby1nja said:

In case you're applying to the same school, the interview invite for LBS OB program was sent out last night! Fully online via Zoom for mid-January.

Received the invite for LBS OB interview too! I remember seeing somewhere that they had on-campus interviews the previous intake (23/fall) and am wondering if they gonna do that again for 24 fall. 

Hey everyone! I applied for a couple different types of PhD programs. Some were Organizational Behavior and others were Organizational Psychology programs. My list was- 

Columbia University- Org Psych

Yale- Management (OB)

UPenn- OB

Cornell- ILR 

Harvard- OB

George Washington- Org Psych

University of Connecticut- Business Management and Org Psychology (2 programs)

Montclair State University- Org Psych

CUNY- Org Psych

Fordham- Business Management 

Some background:

Master’s degree from Columbia University in Organizational Psychology

GPA (graduate): 3.93

GPA (undergraduate): 3.85 overall, 4.0 in major

GRE: (so this wasn’t required for all of the schools I applied to but it was for some. I got a perfect score on the writing section (5.0) but I didn’t think I was going to need to take it because I had scores from a couple years ago & did not think they were expiring soon so I was forced to retake it without having time to study for it so my scores on the verbal and quantitative portion of the exam were much worse than they were the first time I took it a little over 5 years ago. I don’t even want to post them because I feel so bad about them)

Other relevant information: 

Publications in field: 2

Research experiences: Worked in 9 labs, 1 clinic, and did 1 partnership with a past professor from my last PhD program I was in. About 6 or 7 years of research experience (I started a PhD in a different field before switching to Organizational studies so I have a good amount of research experience)

I will keep you posted on updates when I hear back from schools. If anyone has applied to any similar programs (or same programs), I would love to hear about your background. Or if anyone wants to provide me any feedback on whether they think I have a good chance at getting into these programs. I don’t know how many publications typical applicants have and if having a lot of research experience can increase my chances of getting into schools even if I didn’t have a great GRE score. Also any opinions on whether it matters that I got a perfect score on the writing portion if the other scores are lower. I feel like I have a perfect application except for the GRE verbal & quant score but I know that that’s a critical component.

Schools that required the GRE:

UConn- Business Management (but not Org Psychology)

UPenn

Yale

Cornell

George Washington 

Montclair State

On 12/23/2023 at 1:40 AM, jx_ said:

Received the invite for LBS OB interview too! I remember seeing somewhere that they had on-campus interviews the previous intake (23/fall) and am wondering if they gonna do that again for 24 fall. 

Where are you based? Im in Southeast Asia so perhaps it's expensive + impractical to have me there (UK visa takes a long time for my country). Maybe those based around the UK EU region might still be on site. Just a hypothesis though :)

On 12/24/2023 at 10:50 PM, Gradstudentapplicant said:

Hey everyone! I applied for a couple different types of PhD programs. Some were Organizational Behavior and others were Organizational Psychology programs. My list was- 

Columbia University- Org Psych

Yale- Management (OB)

UPenn- OB

Cornell- ILR 

Harvard- OB

George Washington- Org Psych

University of Connecticut- Business Management and Org Psychology (2 programs)

Montclair State University- Org Psych

CUNY- Org Psych

Fordham- Business Management 

Some background:

Master’s degree from Columbia University in Organizational Psychology

GPA (graduate): 3.93

GPA (undergraduate): 3.85 overall, 4.0 in major

GRE: (so this wasn’t required for all of the schools I applied to but it was for some. I got a perfect score on the writing section (5.0) but I didn’t think I was going to need to take it because I had scores from a couple years ago & did not think they were expiring soon so I was forced to retake it without having time to study for it so my scores on the verbal and quantitative portion of the exam were much worse than they were the first time I took it a little over 5 years ago. I don’t even want to post them because I feel so bad about them)

Other relevant information: 

Publications in field: 2

Research experiences: Worked in 9 labs, 1 clinic, and did 1 partnership with a past professor from my last PhD program I was in. About 6 or 7 years of research experience (I started a PhD in a different field before switching to Organizational studies so I have a good amount of research experience)

I will keep you posted on updates when I hear back from schools. If anyone has applied to any similar programs (or same programs), I would love to hear about your background. Or if anyone wants to provide me any feedback on whether they think I have a good chance at getting into these programs. I don’t know how many publications typical applicants have and if having a lot of research experience can increase my chances of getting into schools even if I didn’t have a great GRE score. Also any opinions on whether it matters that I got a perfect score on the writing portion if the other scores are lower. I feel like I have a perfect application except for the GRE verbal & quant score but I know that that’s a critical component.

Schools that required the GRE:

UConn- Business Management (but not Org Psychology)

UPenn

Yale

Cornell

George Washington 

Montclair State

I'm going for OB in Insead, LBS, Columbia, Toronto; also A&M in Harvard. All my schools required a GRE.

Without full disclosure of my complete identity, i'm Southeast Asian, my Engineering undergrad GPA was 3.6+, i have a MBA from a global top-20 school, GRE of 325+ and AWA perfect score. My GRE quant was meh, but I did well in my Engineering undergrad so maybe that helped offset. One 1st author publication but in Engineering, not business. I come with about a decade of work experience across oil and gas, strategy consulting, and agriculture. 

Will also keep y'all posted if more updates come!

2 hours ago, keby1nja said:

Where are you based? Im in Southeast Asia so perhaps it's expensive + impractical to have me there (UK visa takes a long time for my country). Maybe those based around the UK EU region might still be on site. Just a hypothesis though :)

I am based in Singapore. I think they do provide reimbursement and accommodation for international interviewees, but you need to pay out of your own pocket first and claim later.

Yes, visa may be an issue as the invitation last year was only sent 2 weeks prior to the on site visit. No idea how many went but it was probably just a handful.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:42 AM, AsahiKokura said:

Hi, I'm applying to marketing and IS programs in the US this cycle. My discord id is asahikokura. Feel free to add me!

Just submitted all my applications. Waiting time now...

Hi, I am also applying for PhD in Quant Marketing and IS this cycle. Added you on Discord. Happy to connect!

Hello there! I'm still submitting my applications for the PhD in Consumer Behavior (Marketing) in the US and Canada this cycle. I was wondering if there's a discord server where people are sharing updates and results related to their applications. My discord id is kaya0391. Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by BerryCherry

8 minutes ago, vu.hoang said:

If you are interested, we can connect on discord and share updates about the interview process 

yBGWtppF

Awesome! Used the channel ID and joined :)

On 1/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Obobobi said:

Hi all, I received an email for a Berkeley Haas OB interview with a professor. 

Hey, may I ask if it is OB Micro or not?