PhD Applications: Help finding programs

maohio

Hi all, 

Since we’re heading into the application season, I was hoping to gather some outside thoughts/suggestions on PhD programs worth applying to. At the moment, I am wrapping up a (funded) MA in philosophy; my present work focuses largely on 20th c. French philosophy (esp. Derrida), psychoanalysis (Freud/Lacan), and German Idealism (Hegel), however I am also interested in social/political philosophy and critical theory.

I intend to apply to DePaul, Emory, Penn State and Duquesne, as these seem to have the best fits for me. However, I realize that these are probably among the most ‘competitive’ programs for continental, so I would like to have some solid potential secondary options. Any additional recommendations on other programs that would be a good fit would be deeply appreciated!

A couple thoughts. 

First, I might suggest thinking about a more specific angle you plan to go in for your applications, having a strong basis and focus on the fields you have mentioned is important, but it is also relevant to think about and explain how you plan to apply them. Two of the programs you have mentioned, Emory and Penn State, are today very interested in the application of the areas of interest you have mentioned to Philosophy of Race, Decolonial Thought etc.  Not saying you have to have a specific interest in one of those, but ask yourself how your training in Continental Philosophy is relevant to the social world, esp. in the case of those two programs. 

Second, I think you can add other programs to your list.  U Oregon, while more pluralist, comes to mind, and they have increasing strengths in Latin American and Phil of Technology, in conversation with the areas you have mentioned.  Loyola (mine :) ) could also be a nice option, as well as The University of Memphis.  Also, if you find just two faculty members in another program that is more pluralist or analytic, that could be a recommendation, because it would be unlikely both would leave and you would surely have someone to work with and advise you.  For that maybe University of North Texas or Texas AMU could be options, but look wider because my knowledge is a few years old.

With that in mind, and looking at your interests, if you speak other languages Comp Lit programs with a heavy theory emphasis could be good for you: I am thinking NYU, Brown, Columbia. 

I partially mention this because a lot of the programs you have mentioned as your top do have reputations for being difficult.  Penn State can be hard for people due to the isolation of that campus, as well as the requirement (I believe still in place) that students remain on campus while finishing the thesis.  DePaul, from what I have heard, I would honestly try to avoid if I had the opportunity.  There are record numbers of students leaving that department, apparently with scandals related to Title IX from both students and professors alike dealing with harassment and racism.  Also, I thought about taking a grad seminar there, and was then told it would have 12 undergrad students, because apparently their financial issues are leading them to combine undergrad and grad classes. Would not enjoy that personally.

Anyway, I would say keep your options open, keep exploring and apply wide, and when you get into programs remember to evaluate all aspects, including funding resources and campus community in addition to prestige.  

Good luck!