killerwhales

(First off, apologies if this isn't a great spot to ask this question; I'm new to Grad Cafe. I'm posting in Art History because that's my discipline, and searching through the site for my question wasn't giving me what I was looking for.)

I'm working on my PhD in Chinese art history right now, and my program requires two languages. My Chinese is pretty good, but I've never studied Japanese before. (I did French during my MA, but French won't take me nearly as far as Japanese would in my research, and, honestly, I did French during the peak days of Zoom University, and not too much of it stuck.) To fulfill my second language requirement, my advisor has given me permission to complete an intensive summer Japanese language program before coming back to campus and sitting for a Japanese exam that he'll administer (these "exams" are informal, open-book translations that you complete in a certain timeframe, so I think that one summer intensive should be okay to get me there if it's the right program; then I'll have more flexibility to pursue intermediate language training on my own timeline). 

My question is: Does anyone have a recommendation for Japanese language summer programs for absolute beginners? I am open to programs in both the US and Japan. I plan to apply to the Middlebury Language Schools program, and I've seen that Beloit College in Wisconsin offers something similar. I will apply to both, but I'm looking for 1-3 more options. I was attracted to the Critical Languages Scholarship program, but you need to be an intermediate learner to qualify for it. 

Thank you!