Will I be competitive for School Psychology Programs (USA or Canada)

CanadianPsyGuy

Hello everyone, 

I'm new here so I'm not totally sure if this is the best place to post this. Let me know if I need to post this somewhere else! :) 

I'm a Canadian teacher working/living in Korea. I really want to become a school psychologist, so I intend to apply for PhD programs in Canada and the USA next year. I've heard psychology programs are quite competitive, so I wanted to know if I will have a decent shot at getting in? Here is my profile: 

GPA: 4.2/4.3 or 3.9/4.0. I did my honors thesis on the psychological causes of school dropouts around the world. My honors degree was in sociology but I have 45 credit hours in psychology (15 half courses) including all the necessary courses for an honors degree (e.g., stats, history of psychology, etc). 

Research: I held 3 different Research Assistant positions during my undergrad. Each was quite extensive and lasted for over 6 months. I also had a month-long research assistantship last summer. 

Teaching: Worked as a teaching assistant for three professors during university, worked as a supply teacher in Canadian public schools for 6 months (all grade levels), and I've spent the last 3 years working as a full-time elementary school teacher in Korea. I've also spent several months in Korea working on curriculum and test design. I've also been a volunteer tutor for a number of students and spent one-year working one-on-one with a high school student with severe learning disabilities. We met every week and I helped him with his homework and assignments. 

Other: 4 months of volunteer work at an old folks home, a 3-week trip to Nepal where I volunteered with children in a Buddhist monastery, and I worked at a law firm one summer during undergrad. 

Sorry if that's information overload. I'm sort of new to the grad school application stuff, so I wanted to get some expert opinions. Thanks for reading this! 

It is hard to give a generalized yes/no because there are so many school psych programs out there available - but I will give you the heads up for Canadian-based school psych programs, you typically apply at the masters level, then apply and start the process over again at the PhD level.