2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

Very well said, @Rixor.

I’m proud of all of us. No one understands this process, and how tough it is, better than the people who are living through it. I’m so thankful for this little community. We are writers!! MFA or not. Rejection stings but we have years of growth and change ahead of us and can re-apply if we choose to. I finally sat down and wrote a paragraph of a new short story today. First thing I’ve written since I started submitting apps. I like where it’s going. Funnily enough, it’s not something I would or could have written 3-6 months ago to include in my writing samples. 

Anywho. There is a really strong, comprehensive list of MFA resources on Winniebell Zong’s website in case anyone finds it helpful now or in the future:

winniebellxzong[dot]com/mfa

Edited by pomelo

23 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I'm out of reactions, but congratulations to all of you with good news to share!!!!! I'm so happy for you all!! And I hope some of those w's turn into a's for everyone:) 

Everyone struggling with uncertainty--I wish I had something worthwhile to say. I'm holding out hope that you all hear good news soon. This process is difficult--both on our wallets and our psyches. Many of us spent hundreds on application fees alone. Everyone here seems so kind and talented; I'm hoping we all get into programs this cycle, if only to spare us from doing this process again in the future.  

Since learning there's a possibility my 'a' program might be cancelled, I've been thinking a lot about how to cope if I have to go through a cycle again next year (and maybe the year after that... And after that...)... Upon research, it seems like a lot of excellent writers--many of whom are authors/professors/etc--were rejected across the board the first time around. It's just that so much about the recruitment process is up purely to chance. I have no doubt that every person here would thrive in an MFA program. 

I keep telling myself that, if I do have to go another cycle, I'll be coming out of this with experience, drive, and connections. I now know about new programs to apply for. I now know not to accidentally apply for unfunded programs. I now know talented, skilled, kind people like you all who I could probably bug to read over my SOP and sample. I've got a plan lined out to submit more, write more, etc.

I'm really, really hoping none of us have to go through this process again--because clearly, it is rough--but I think that, if we have to, we'll all be in a really good spot. 

I'm really hoping the best for everyone. 

All of this. I was listening to the final episode of Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Wiser Than Me podcast where she interviews Carol Burnett. Carol said she got to the final round of some audition and they picked the other girl and she just thought, “well it’s her turn, it’s not my turn right now.” I’ve found this to be such a helpful reframe when I want to get down on my writing or the process or whether or not a meritocracy can ever exist around art. Wishing for you all (and myself) that it’s our turn soon but also just settling into the reminder to work hard and be kind and try to maintain a decent sense of character. 

25 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Since learning there's a possibility my 'a' program might be cancelled, I've been thinking a lot about how to cope if I have to go through a cycle again next year (and maybe the year after that... And after that...)... Upon research, it seems like a lot of excellent writers--many of whom are authors/professors/etc--were rejected across the board the first time around. It's just that so much about the recruitment process is up purely to chance. I have no doubt that every person here would thrive in an MFA program. 

I keep telling myself that, if I do have to go another cycle, I'll be coming out of this with experience, drive, and connections.

6 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Very well said, @Rixor.

I’m proud of all of us. No one understands this process, and how tough it is, better than the people who are living through it. I’m so thankful for this little community. We are writers!! MFA or not. Rejection stings but we have years of growth and change ahead of us and can re-apply if we choose to. I finally sat down and wrote a paragraph of a new short story today. First thing I’ve written since I started submitting apps. I like where it’s going. Funnily enough, it’s not something I would or could have written 3-6 months ago to include in my writing samples.

Just now, Hjanep said:

All of this. I was listening to the final episode of Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Wiser Than Me podcast where she interviews Carol Burnett. Carol said she got to the final round of some audition and they picked the other girl and she just thought, “well it’s her turn, it’s not my turn right now.” I’ve found this to be such a helpful reframe when I want to get down on my writing or the process or whether or not a meritocracy can ever exist around art. Wishing for you all (and myself) that it’s our turn soon but also just settling into the reminder to work hard and be kind and try to maintain a decent sense of character. 

I wouldn't have made it through the last few weeks without gradcafé and you guys! I'm hopeful for our results but I, too, want to reapply if I don't make it this year, and I'd be happy to do it all over again but this time knowing I have a community on my side!

I also wrote a whole poem for the first time since submitting my apps yesterday (kind of embarrassing, tbh, but it's part of being a writer sometimes) and I'm so glad you guys are writing too and not letting rejection discourage you. I'm really impressed and thankful at how kind and positive this forum has been!

1 minute ago, Hjanep said:

I love that story so much. One of my little mantras I've been repeating over and over is "what's meant for me will never pass me by" and that feels like a similar vibe. 

51 minutes ago, Southron said:

Anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is? I saw someone say that last year the waitlist was over 80(!) people, which is insane (and tempers my excitement just a bit).

Just looking at the spreadsheet alone it seems to be the largest waitlist I've seen. I'm also not seeing any UTK Round 2 rejections which makes me think the waitlist is even longer than what we're seeing on draft/here/etc

Edited by cashewgirl
typo

4 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I wouldn't have made it through the last few weeks without gradcafé and you guys! I'm hopeful for our results but I, too, want to reapply if I don't make it this year, and I'd be happy to do it all over again but this time knowing I have a community on my side!

I also wrote a whole poem for the first time since submitting my apps yesterday (kind of embarrassing, tbh, but it's part of being a writer sometimes) and I'm so glad you guys are writing too and not letting rejection discourage you. I'm really impressed and thankful at how kind and positive this forum has been!

I haven't finished a story since I finalized my Michener apps, soooooo 12/1/23? You're not alone in being burned out of the actual craft that brought us all together.

But yeah, just to echo: this community is amazing. It's made this round of apps so much more survivable to not be talking to people with a "what like it's hard?" attitude toward grad school. Yes!!! It's very hard to get into any of these programs!! But they are not the only way to be a writer! I genuinely wish so much success for everyone in here (and kind of wish we could all just abandon academia and run our own workshop together??)

1 minute ago, cashewgirl said:

Just based off the spreadsheet alone it seems to be the largest waitlist I've seen. I'm also not seeing any UTK Round 2 rejections which makes me think the waitlist is even longer than what we're seeing on draft/here/etc

Am I the only one with a bad taste in their mouth knowing UTK waitlists so many people? Just feels....icky. 

3 minutes ago, cashewgirl said:

Just based off the spreadsheet alone it seems to be the largest waitlist I've seen. I'm also not seeing any UTK Round 2 rejections which makes me think the waitlist is even longer than what we're seeing on draft/here/etc

I'm certain there are more waitlisted people out there then have been reported here and in draft. I do know some people were not invited to round 2, but it's probably not a large amount.

Just got the Michigan rejection (fiction). 

“We received over 800 applications this year, and the limited size of our program means that we can admit only 2.5% from this very strong pool.”

Bloop!

3 minutes ago, electricstardust said:

just got my michigan rejection 🙃

4 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Just got the Michigan rejection (fiction). 

“We received over 800 applications this year, and the limited size of our program means that we can admit only 2.5% from this very strong pool.”

Bloop!

Bloop! Me too guys. 

50 minutes ago, BarryDairy said:

It read to me (through a screen and without knowing the person) like it might not have been a top choice for the person. Like a sort of whatever attitude. 

Well, I agree that you can't tell through a screen. But I promise you guys, if I get into Iowa, unless they tell me not to.. I'm WinPosting On Main.

I'm out of reactions (I wonder what the point of limiting reactions is) but I'm mentally hearting many posts here. @Rixor I could not agree more. Also congrats to @pomelo and everyone writing new work. I've been working on a short story on and off for the past few weeks. Hope to finish and edit it soon in time for a fellowship application in April.

@mudpuddle1 I def agree on UTK. Giving so many people false hope; it feels like a scam, honestly. 

Edited by Chex

2 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

Oh my god guys. Oh my god. I'm on the Syracuse waitlist!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to speak too soon, but I will probably have to reject my poetry fellowship offer from Syracuse 😭 based solely on financial considerations. It's one of the schools I most want to attend, culturally feels like a great fit, love the faculty, but they also only offer 20k rn. That could change with a new union contract coming down the pike, but probably not soon enough for me. A younger, healthier person, though, can live on that in Upstate NY.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, lemmmein said:

Yeah, I applied to both Michener and NWP, and getting rejected from those would sting. They've already turned me down twice before, so I don't know why I'm still precious about it?

Also waiting on University of Houston, Brown, UVA, Oxford and Hunter. (Though those last two aren't funded, so I couldn't have afforded them anyway.)

I also applied to Michener, NWP, and UH- anxiously waiting!

I'm also puzzled about UTK. I made it to round 2 but then got rejected maybe a week or so ago. I haven't heard of any other rejections. I think it's a little funny. I entered my rejection on the spreadsheet expecting a wave of them to follow but then... none. Just me. If I didn't already have an offer, it seriously would've messed with me but luckily it's just something to laugh about.

But seriously! Why such a long waitlist? I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I am curious.

Edit: To add, the email I got for my rejection said they got "over 104 applicants." Not sure if that's just for poetry or overall.

Edited by CorneliusBreadicus

Guys I'm on the waitlist for Oregon State nonfiction. This is my 4th waitlist my freaking god. 

How do I say what I'm feeling right now. On one hand, I'm extremely grateful and shocked, because I went into this process thinking that I'll be really happy to get into one program, and I'll be ecstatic if I get into two and have the option of choosing. Knowing that all of these waitlists have a strong likelihood of turning into acceptances is crazy to me, and it also makes me want to beg my remaining schools for at least one rejection, because how am I supposed to make a decision?! Like I know this is a really good problem to have, better than the alternative. 

On the other hand, I'm finding myself in this extreme limbo stage that I wasn't expecting to be in. Being waitlisted means that I'm not invited to any open house they have for their currently accepted admits, so I have no way of sussing out what these programs are actually like in person, and I also don't know when the schools will update me. My one acceptance currently is at Miami University, which I visited and the professors and students there are incredible. However, I have reservations because the teaching load is pretty heavy and they also don't pay for health insurance and 67% of their graduate student fees, which knocks several thousand off their already insufficient stipend. While I think I would be very happy learning and working with the people there, I also think there's a good chance that I'd take any other program over them.

I don't feel good, though, about accepting an offer from a school that I haven't visited in person. I guess I'm anxious about not hearing back from my waitlists until close to April 15th and, if I receive one or more acceptances then, having to make a last-minute decision without having sufficient info about their program. Or, accepting my Miami offer, receiving acceptances after April 15th, and being put in the position of having to decide whether to renege on Miami for a different program. Either way, I'd be compelled to make a decision I'm not 100% confident in.

I empathize with all those who have yet to receive a single acceptance, and I know I'm in an extremely favorable position. There's just still a lot more uncertainty than I was ever expecting to experience.

15 minutes ago, writercl said:

Do we know the span of days in which Michener Center for Writers acceptances come out? How many people have been accepted/denied so far?

There are two fiction acceptances in the spreadsheet, and those people have confirmed it in Draft. there's one reported poetry acceptance based on someone in this forum who knows someone at the Uni. also, someone in Draft got a poetry waitlist and said they thought everything was out. based on all of this, I'm thinking it's just rejections to come :(

3 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

There are two fiction acceptances in the spreadsheet, and those people have confirmed it in Draft. there's one reported poetry acceptance based on someone in this forum who knows someone at the Uni. also, someone in Draft got a poetry waitlist and said they thought everything was out. based on all of this, I'm thinking it's just rejections to come :(

awe mannn. i applied for primary poetry and secondary fiction 😭 well, i'll just be praying for my other programs then and holding onto some hope for michener. thank you so much!

Congrats to everyone who got good news! Just received my official rejection from Michigan. It was probably the nicest one I’ve gotten so far, and it said a lot of the things people in here have been saying about it not reflecting on my quality as a writer. I am also increasingly anxious for any kind of news about U of Arizona… I’m also out of reactions, and there were other things I wanted to respond to I’m sure, but I had to catch up on so much since I last checked in here that I don’t remember!

Edited by 3feetofsnow

Just got the rejection email from Oregon State. 😭 It's my alma mater and the only fully funded program I applied to. It's a little painful. Luckily, the University of Montana acceptance came first and helps to soften the blow. 

Congrats to everyone for this week's acceptances and waitlists!

1a/0w/1r/3p

45 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

I don't want to speak too soon, but I will probably have to reject my poetry fellowship offer from Syracuse 😭 based solely on financial considerations. It's one of the schools I most want to attend, culturally feels like a great fit, love the faculty, but they also only offer 20k rn. That could change with a new union contract coming down the pike, but probably not soon enough for me. A younger, healthier person, though, can live on that in Upstate NY.

A very understandable decision! It definitely seems like a great program but the funding is a little sparse compared to some other schools. I hope you get an offer that matches with your needs! :)

Is anybody else feeling particularly dire (i.e. like death warmed up) about this whole process. Like, I just got an email from my single a and apparently there's a good chance that the program's going to be cancelled--haha. I don't think I can go through the whole process again so this was my first and last round and . . . yeah. It hurts. Bad.