2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

18 minutes ago, epr said:

Agreed—people forget that there’s only one administrative coordinator for a lot of these programs. That person is responsible for communicating grad decisions, helping current grad students, coordinating undergrads and ANY other departmental stuff going on. Add on the number of applications and it’s an overwhelming position. The fact that they can make and communicate decisions in less than two months considering the number of applicants is genuinely astounding and shows how fricken hard everyone on their end (staff, faculty, students, etc) are working. 

I’ve been in a hiring position before and going through 40 applicants with only two pieces of material (a cover letter and resume) took like 6 weeks in order to fairly assess everyone and narrow down to one candidate. Now imagine how much harder that is for hundreds.

It seems to be really normal for rejections to lag behind acceptances by 1-2 weeks and JHU literally just released their results. It sucks to be rejected, but there’s no malice behind it ya’ll.

No one is talking about being rejected or how long that process takes. There are three categories, each with one general letter. In the acceptance, there may be a few tweaks with respect to fellowships or other specifics. Waitlists may or may not include a ranking or other particulars, but those too tend to go out together. It takes exactly as long to determine acceptances as waitlists and rejections. The fact is, once the first two are completed, all you have to do is change the date on last year's rejection letter and c&p the new recipients. 

Moreover, we've seen plenty of schools get this right already. Let's stop making excuses for those who haven't. 

5 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

CORNELL REJECTIONS R OUT

For poetry? I'm still seeing 'submitted' on my fiction application.

It feels like every program I applied to is taking extra long just to torture me personally. I've heard back from 1 of 12 so far 🫠.

13 minutes ago, brdiget said:

I'm 22 and finishing my undergrad in montreal! i love anne carson and chopin. im wearing an anne carson t shirt right now and its my most prized possession

OOh. I love Chopin too. did a bit of work on her as an undergrad. 

23 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Another question for the hive: Has anyone actually checked a portal and seen a real status update? I've looked a few and many don't seem to even have a space to indicate an actual status. 

Nope, and my waitlist for JHU doesn't show up in the portal. Most say "complete," "under review," or nothing at all, like you described.

2 minutes ago, lemmmein said:

It feels like every program I applied to is taking extra long just to torture me personally. I've heard back from 1 of 12 so far 🫠.

Yes, poetry. It was a form email. I hope you hear back from another program next week!

10 minutes ago, lemmmein said:

I hear you but it seems this year results are actually coming earlier than usual. I heard early from one of 28 and I think it made my expectations unrealistic. Be patient. 

Good things. 

Congrats to the Cornell acceptances and condolences to the rejectees. I really wanted to apply there but I fucked the dog. 

Hi everyone! Nice to meet everyone and see such diverse ages and backup plans. :-)

I'm 39 and am applying for a second year after only applying the University of Arizona last year and getting rejected. (I'm from Tucson, so UA is my #1 choice. I LOVE it here!) I went into a philosophy PhD program straight out of undergrad, and so I've been teaching philosophy while learning the art of creative writing (and taking classes where I teach). My first piece of creative nonfiction is coming out next week in The Los Angeles Review! I hope this will soften the blow of rejections. :-S But I know from last year that rejection hurts but also that it doesn't stop me from writing. 

I applied to five programs (UA, WashU, Wyoming, Oregon State, & UT Knoxville), listing CNF as my primary genre and fiction as my secondary genre. I also write short stories and am working on a novel. Hoping to make that transition from CNF to fiction eventually. 

My backup plan is to do the low-residency MFA program through the university I teach at, using my tuition waiver to pay for it. Because that's the thing with the low-res programs - they're just so expensive! 

Wishing everyone the best,

Sarah

2 minutes ago, SarahRuth said:

Hi everyone! Nice to meet everyone and see such diverse ages and backup plans. 🙂

I went into a philosophy PhD program straight out of undergrad, and so I've been teaching philosophy while learning the art of creative writing...

Hi!! A fellow philosopher:) I graduated with my philosophy BA in 2022 and loved it sm.  I focused on feminist ethics. It's a great discipline, though not always friendly to us women. (I'm assuming your gender based on username, sorry if I'm wrong!) I'd love to hear about how you view the connections between your CNF work and your philosophy work. 

17 minutes ago, SarahRuth said:

Hi everyone! Nice to meet everyone and see such diverse ages and backup plans. 🙂

I'm 39 and am applying for a second year after only applying the University of Arizona last year and getting rejected. (I'm from Tucson, so UA is my #1 choice. I LOVE it here!) I went into a philosophy PhD program straight out of undergrad, and so I've been teaching philosophy while learning the art of creative writing (and taking classes where I teach). My first piece of creative nonfiction is coming out next week in The Los Angeles Review! I hope this will soften the blow of rejections. :-S But I know from last year that rejection hurts but also that it doesn't stop me from writing. 

I applied to five programs (UA, WashU, Wyoming, Oregon State, & UT Knoxville), listing CNF as my primary genre and fiction as my secondary genre. I also write short stories and am working on a novel. Hoping to make that transition from CNF to fiction eventually. 

My backup plan is to do the low-residency MFA program through the university I teach at, using my tuition waiver to pay for it. Because that's the thing with the low-res programs - they're just so expensive! 

Wishing everyone the best,

Sarah

I applied to UA as well MM is fantastic.  Also WashU and UTK. 

37 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I hear you but it seems this year results are actually coming earlier than usual. I heard early from one of 28 and I think it made my expectations unrealistic. Be patient. 

Good things. 

Congrats to the Cornell acceptances and condolences to the rejectees. I really wanted to apply there but I fucked the dog. 

Oh for sure! I've been crossreferencing this year's announcement's with last year's draft spreadsheet as if I have nothing better to do with my life lol. Appreciate the solidarity of mostly not knowing!

@jadedoptimist Yay! Another philosopher. I agree; the discipline is NOT kind to women. I made it work for a number of years but actually started strategizing my exit a long time ago. I still strongly identify as a philosopher, though. (Sounds like you do, too!) But I expect I will find a kinder place in the writing community. CNF has been great because it's given me a space to write about things professional philosophers are only beginning to talk about. Rad that you were able to study feminist ethics!! We just added ethics of care to the Intro class I teach. :-)

23 minutes ago, SarahRuth said:

@jadedoptimist Yay! Another philosopher. I agree; the discipline is NOT kind to women. I made it work for a number of years but actually started strategizing my exit a long time ago. I still strongly identify as a philosopher, though. (Sounds like you do, too!) But I expect I will find a kinder place in the writing community. CNF has been great because it's given me a space to write about things professional philosophers are only beginning to talk about. Rad that you were able to study feminist ethics!! We just added ethics of care to the Intro class I teach. 🙂

I'm glad you're making the transition! I had the same feeling that CWR might be kinder, just a bit earlier in life! I hope the community is everything you hope and more:) And guess what... they're talking about ethics of care in my Teacher Preparation program! It's really catching on, and I'm proud because I think it's a beautiful philosophical concept

I just saw a waitlist result on grad cafe for Michigan. I was wondering if anyone here has received anything from there? There’s only one result so I didn’t know if it was an outlier. 

37 minutes ago, SarahRuth said:

@jadedoptimist Yay! Another philosopher. I agree; the discipline is NOT kind to women. I made it work for a number of years but actually started strategizing my exit a long time ago. I still strongly identify as a philosopher, though. (Sounds like you do, too!) But I expect I will find a kinder place in the writing community. CNF has been great because it's given me a space to write about things professional philosophers are only beginning to talk about. Rad that you were able to study feminist ethics!! We just added ethics of care to the Intro class I teach. 🙂

Hello fellow female philosophers! I also have a degree in philosophy and focused on educational philosophy when I was in undergrad.

1 hour ago, GoldenTree said:

I just saw a waitlist result on grad cafe for Michigan. I was wondering if anyone here has received anything from there? There’s only one result so I didn’t know if it was an outlier. 

To protect my tender heart, I will not be assuming a rejection from Michigan until the waitlist result is also posted on Draft.

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

To protect my tender heart, I will not be assuming a rejection from Michigan until the waitlist result is also posted on Draft.

Tbh tho, I'm not sure they've accepted anybody yet, or if they have, I don't know about it. I'm not on draft but no one's mentioned anyone getting accepted there to my knowledge. So even if it is double-posted, I do think there's still could be a chance unless a bunch of acceptances & waitlists already went out. I'm gonna hope that isn't the case. 

Edited by GoldenTree

2 hours ago, justasmidge said:

Hello fellow female philosophers! I also have a degree in philosophy and focused on educational philosophy when I was in undergrad.

Educational philosophy is so cool! I'm working on my pedagogical student teacher journal right now. It's due at midnight and I'm Struggling. But as I am struggling... I need to remember... Educational Philosophy is actually really interesting and important! in some of my apps I wrote about wanting to "capture the feeling of awe that characterizes learning" in my poetry, lol.

Finally sorted out Google authentication and I can post now! 

On 2/9/2024 at 5:05 AM, girlgenius said:

honestly not coping well at all!! it definitely doesn't help that I really hate my job, which requires talking to clients all day, and I am so ready to quit. it's this combination of waiting for news that will take me away from this job while also hating the job itself more and more with each passing day, unable to focus during work because I just keep refreshing my email -- a lethal combo that leaves me completely drained, emotional, and anxious at the end of every day! (and that's not even taking into account the actual creative hopes and desires about getting into a program) it's my second time applying and the wait is even harder this year. you are not alone!!

This is my second round applying. Last year I had to wait until the very end of the cycle to receive my first waitlist (and no offers). As time passed it was excoriating to check emails and phones and Gradcafe threads over and over. This year, I had my first acceptance on 2 Feb, after only two rejections from OSU and UIUC.  But did it get better? No. I still check these things compulsively like every hour, staying awake til the early morning (I'm International) and hating myself. After all, a rejection is a rejection and it is hard not to feel rejected (otherwise it won't be much of a rejection no?) The sad truth is that rejection is just part of the writing life, and almost everyone suffers from it 😢 One thing I do find helpful is just to go out and get distracted. Go for a run or meet with friends/family. It takes your mind off things for a while. 

On 2/9/2024 at 1:50 AM, untemperedoddity said:

Does anybody know if international applicants tend to get calls? I keep waiting by the phone, but maybe an email is more likely.... This Iowa situation has me freaking out. Also, because I've heard they snail mail acceptances. I get mail months later in my country :(

All my waitlists (including Iowa) last year came through emails, and last week I was informed of my acceptance through email as well. 

1A(VT)/0W/3R/15P. But think about it, even if I got into 2/3 more programs, I'd still be getting 10 more rejections at least, right? What a life. 

31 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

Finally sorted out Google authentication and I can post now! 

This is my second round applying. Last year I had to wait until the very end of the cycle to receive my first waitlist (and no offers). As time passed it was excoriating to check emails and phones and Gradcafe threads over and over. This year, I had my first acceptance on 2 Feb, after only two rejections from OSU and UIUC.  But did it get better? No. I still check these things compulsively like every hour, staying awake til the early morning (I'm International) and hating myself. After all, a rejection is a rejection and it is hard not to feel rejected (otherwise it won't be much of a rejection no?) The sad truth is that rejection is just part of the writing life, and almost everyone suffers from it 😢 One thing I do find helpful is just to go out and get distracted. Go for a run or meet with friends/family. It takes your mind off things for a while. 

All my waitlists (including Iowa) last year came through emails, and last week I was informed of my acceptance through email as well. 

1A(VT)/0W/3R/15P. But think about it, even if I got into 2/3 more programs, I'd still be getting 10 more rejections at least, right? What a life. 

Congrats on your 1A! VT seems like a great MFA program. What genre are you?

9 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

I wanna learn more about you guys! Distraction thread? How old are you guys in this thread? I'm 23, two years out of undergrad with zero big accomplishments in between, no pubs either. I'm currently enrolled in a Teacher Prep program, so if MFAs don't work out I'll probably be looking for secondary English teaching jobs at private schools in the US. 

HELLO EVERYONE, lurker-turned-poster here!!! I have been following your journeys and rooting for you all!

I'm turning 32 this year, and work full-time at an office-job that's super supportive of my writing. I applied to MFAs straight out of college and was rejected everywhere, which was pretty crushing at the time! I decided to channel my desire to write into building & bettering my practice on my own terms. I was fortunate enough to go to a speculative fiction workshop in 2022 and it rekindled my desire to seriously improve my craft and approach writing in a structured environment!! So I was like damn... time to put myself through applying to MFAs again... because it was so fun last time. 

I didn't apply to too many places because I wanted to shoot for programs that are speculative-friendly or have faculty I really admire... by the end of it all I felt like I was just blowing smoke onto a page, sobs. I applied to University of Arizona Tucson, North Carolina State, Arizona State, San Francisco State, and Cornell (all for Fiction). I'm also applying for a couple of French MAs. 

If I get in anywhere it will be a HUGE shift in my life—my future has a lot of possibilities rn and I'm honestly going to embrace whichever one I get. Even if I don't get in anywhere, I've been able to cultivate a writing practice that meshes well with my career and has built so many wonderful connections for me in the speculative community, so I have faith that I can keep writing on my own terms. BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GET IN TO NC STATE!!! Haha. 

I haven't heard back from anywhere yet. So: 0a/0w/0r/5p ❤️ Although the acceptance from ASU gave me a small heart attack yesterday. I have a feeling if I was accepted I'd have heard back by now... sigh...

Also, for what it's worth: my Cornell application that was rejected in 2015 still just says "Submitted." I don't think online portals can be trusted unless you receive an email saying to check the portal for a result. So chin up!

I am celebrating all of your wins with you and commiserating over rejections! Strength & faith & patience to all!

Edited by branch

9 minutes ago, branch said:

HELLO EVERYONE, lurker-turned-poster here!!! I have been following your journeys and rooting for you all!

I'm turning 32 this year, and work full-time at an office-job that's super supportive of my writing. I applied to MFAs straight out of college and was rejected everywhere, which was pretty crushing at the time! I decided to channel my desire to write into building & bettering my practice on my own terms. I was fortunate enough to go to a speculative fiction workshop in 2022 and it rekindled my desire to seriously improve my craft and approach writing in a structured environment!! So I was like damn... time to put myself through applying to MFAs again... because it was so fun last time. 

I didn't apply to too many places because I wanted to shoot for programs that are speculative-friendly or have faculty I really admire... by the end of it all I felt like I was just blowing smoke onto a page, sobs. I applied to University of Arizona Tucson, North Carolina State, Arizona State, San Francisco State, and Cornell (all for Fiction). I'm also applying for a couple of French MAs. 

If I get in anywhere it will be a HUGE shift in my life—my future has a lot of possibilities rn and I'm honestly going to embrace whichever one I get. Even if I don't get in anywhere, I've been able to cultivate a writing practice that meshes well with my career and has built so many wonderful connections for me in the speculative community, so I have faith that I can keep writing on my own terms. BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GET IN TO NC STATE!!! Haha. 

I haven't heard back from anywhere yet. So: 0a/0w/0r/5p ❤️ Although the acceptance from ASU gave me a small heart attack yesterday. I have a feeling if I was accepted I'd have heard back by now... sigh...

Also, for what it's worth: my Cornell application that was rejected in 2015 still just says "Submitted." I don't think online portals can be trusted unless you receive an email saying to check the portal for a result. So chin up!

I am celebrating all of your wins with you and commiserating over rejections! Strength & faith & patience to all!

Love this and welcome!

I feel you on the your future having a lot of possibilities thing. It's the same for me and it's both scary and exciting. I'm honestly loving your interest in both MFAs and French MAs; that's so cool! I'm glad you've grown in your writing and have cultivated a meaningful practice. Wishing you good luck this season, and I'll be rooting extra hard for you re NC State!

16 minutes ago, branch said:

Welcome Branch, I'm rooting for you too! I also write speculative fiction and although I'm applying mostly in poetry, am doing some fiction apps too (including to NC-State).

Also, a note about NC-State. When I applied there, I thought John Kessel was still on faculty (the result of applying to so many schools, likely) but since he's no longer there, I'm not sure how Spec-friendly NC-State is anymore. I hope you get your dream school but just a note about it. 

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows/ heard anything about waitlists for FSU or USF? I'm just trying to figure out if I should be holding on to hope or not, haha. Thanks in advance!