2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

4 minutes ago, iamreallyabigskeletonirl said:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am one of the applicants at the top of the waitlist but I'm not sure how many others are waitlisted alongside me. I hope by one of the students I'm only one or two applicants behind lol

Oh, okay! Well, there are 5 people listed as waitlist on the spreadsheet, so assuming that’s accurate, at least six! Here’s hoping you and I are 2 and 3 XD

Unfortunately, this is my first time applying, so I have no answer about likelihood of getting off the waitlist.

59 minutes ago, messindistress said:

Hi all. Been scrolling through the thread for a couple days now and I just decided to sign up. 😕

I applied to a lot of schools with a speculative fiction writing piece (it's the only genre I'm able to write in) and so far all I've been getting are rejects haha. Can't help but wonder if it was one of the worst life decisions I made.

Anyway, congrats to all who got the good news.

I agree with the other commenter, I wish I could write speculative fiction. It's what I have the most fun reading. Every time I try to, I get discouraged and quit. I haven't cracked the code on how to make long plots interesting yet. Lots of respect for you.

Did you happen to apply to any programs that are super friendly towards speculative fiction (e.g. University of Nevada in Reno, UC-Riverside, NCSU)? 

1 minute ago, Rixor said:

I agree with the other commenter, I wish I could write speculative fiction. It's what I have the most fun reading. Every time I try to, I get discouraged and quit. I haven't cracked the code on how to make long plots interesting yet. Lots of respect for you.

Did you happen to apply to any programs that are super friendly towards speculative fiction (e.g. University of Nevada in Reno, UC-Riverside, NCSU)? 

I did! Currently gnawing on my fingernails as I wait for UCR's results to start rolling in. I'm guessing I'll have to do that for a little while more.

This was said of Vanderbilt for fiction in the spreadsheet: “ranked waitlist, will inform us of position on waitlist once we ask to stay on.” I think I’m gonna count that as an official unofficial rejection

Hi everyone, quick question! I remember there was a poetry acceptance for Syracuse on the draft spreadsheet but it's just been that one and I don't recall seeing anything about fiction anywhere. According to last year's spreadsheet, rejections went out on the first of March...so does this mean the ball is still rolling for Syracuse or have fiction acceptances and waitlists gone out already and I should cross it off the list?

2 hours ago, AngusWanderer said:

I got into NYU😲

I missed a call from Deborah Landau because it was in the middle of the night for me, but she sent me a congratulatory email setting up a call for later (also I'm not on draft). Happy but also anxious in terms of the funding. I don't think I'll go there unless it's fully funded. 

fiction, non fiction, or poetry?

8 minutes ago, catacatacat said:

fiction, non fiction, or poetry?

poetry!

Thanks for all your warm words! Fingers crossed for you all. 

51 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I relate to y'all in waitlist hell. JHU waitlist = unranked; Vandy waitlist = they say I'm at the top but no guarantee anyone will decline. This is a special kind of limbo...

I was waitlisted by JHU last year. They said their list was unranked and asked if I wanted to stay on the list. I replied, and they said, "Thanks for replying." I never heard from them again until 11 April when the system updated and sent me a form rejection. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and I am sorry if I've put a damper on things for you😭 

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

I relate to y'all in waitlist hell. JHU waitlist = unranked; Vandy waitlist = they say I'm at the top but no guarantee anyone will decline. This is a special kind of limbo...

Though I think they did say, for JHU at least, that in some years no one got in, but in other years a few people got in. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, saramsarang said:

Hi everyone, quick question! I remember there was a poetry acceptance for Syracuse on the draft spreadsheet but it's just been that one and I don't recall seeing anything about fiction anywhere. According to last year's spreadsheet, rejections went out on the first of March...so does this mean the ball is still rolling for Syracuse or have fiction acceptances and waitlists gone out already and I should cross it off the list?

Usually Syracuse has tended to send acceptances and rejections pretty close together, and there's only been that one piece of news, so for now I'm skeptical it's legit. But we were all being skeptical about NYU earlier and had that proven wrong, so it's hard to say 😅 for now though I definitely would not cross it off! Still a good chance they haven't even started sending acceptances!

1 hour ago, writernity said:

Usually Syracuse has tended to send acceptances and rejections pretty close together, and there's only been that one piece of news, so for now I'm skeptical it's legit. But we were all being skeptical about NYU earlier and had that proven wrong, so it's hard to say 😅 for now though I definitely would not cross it off! Still a good chance they haven't even started sending acceptances!

Ahh that makes sense, thank you so much!

7 hours ago, AngusWanderer said:

poetry!

Thanks for all your warm words! Fingers crossed for you all. 

I was waitlisted by JHU last year. They said their list was unranked and asked if I wanted to stay on the list. I replied, and they said, "Thanks for replying." I never heard from them again until 11 April when the system updated and sent me a form rejection. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and I am sorry if I've put a damper on things for you😭 

Omg, no worries. That is basically what I am expecting from JH - it mirrors my experience perfectly so far. I have to admit I'm getting my hopes up for Vanderbilt though, even though someone from draft told me no one declined their acceptance last year. Well, a little hope never killed any body...or did it?

9 hours ago, saramsarang said:

My understanding is Syracuse poetry goes out a few weeks earlier than fiction and fiction acceptances will be end of Feb and rejections will be a few days later

8 hours ago, writernity said:

There have been at least a couple more poets with acceptances from Syracuse (including myself). It's legit. I really don't think there are nearly as many trolls or fake postings as folks seem to think, especially in Draft and the spreadsheet.

Edit: But I do think it's odd rejections haven't come out yet! And no word on waitlists. I don't think anyone should cross it off the list.

Edited by CorneliusBreadicus

Just to be clear... When colleges offer "full funding" and "tuition remission" this generally applies the same regardless of whether you're in-state or out-of-state, right?

All my possible programs are out-of-state and I'm secretly very fearful that I'll get hit with a, "sorry, you must've misunderstood, we only cover half the tuition for OOS students!" 

9 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Just to be clear... When colleges offer "full funding" and "tuition remission" this generally applies the same regardless of whether you're in-state or out-of-state, right?

All my possible programs are out-of-state and I'm secretly very fearful that I'll get hit with a, "sorry, you must've misunderstood, we only cover half the tuition for OOS students!" 

Yes, it doesn't matter, generally speaking, if you're in-state or out-of-state re: tuition remission. Some schools (Bowling Green, IIRC) do require you to formally become a resident of that state after the first year to reduce the tuition amount to the in-state number, though.

3 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Yes, it doesn't matter, generally speaking, if you're in-state or out-of-state re: tuition remission. Some schools (Bowling Green, IIRC) do require you to formally become a resident of that state after the first year to reduce the tuition amount to the in-state number, though.

Thank you!!! Good to know! 

I still haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to since December, when UTK said I made it to round 2, but I think it's safe to say I won't be getting any acceptances this year. I had no idea it would be so utterly discouraging and disappointing to watch draft's spreadsheet fill up with acceptances/waitlists while my inbox is totally empty. I keep telling myself that I only need one, but even that now seems impossible. I just feel like a failure, and that I wasted my recommenders' time and my own with all this.

I guess I need to drastically rethink my writing sample and SOP if I try again for next year though right now I have no desire to do any of this again.

0a/0w/8r/9p

Edited by Southron

34 minutes ago, Southron said:

I still haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to since December, when UTK said I made it to round 2, but I think it's safe to say I won't be getting any acceptances this year. I had no idea it would be so utterly discouraging and disappointing to watch draft's spreadsheet fill up with acceptances/waitlists while my inbox is totally empty. I keep telling myself that I only need one, but even that now seems impossible. I just feel like a failure, and that I wasted my recommenders' time and my own with all this.

I guess I need to drastically rethink my writing sample and SOP if I try again for next year though right now I have no desire to do any of this again.

0a/0w/8r/9p

OOofff I feel this and I even got into a place. This whole process is VERY exhausting. I feel for you, Southron!  I'll hold out hope for you if it helps. Getting to a second round is huge, so congrats on that!

50 minutes ago, epr said:

Does anyone know if UVA is interviewing their top choice candidates this year? They did last year, but I don’t see anything on their website for this round.

Ahhhhhh I have no information for you but I also applied and am wondering. 

2 hours ago, CorneliusBreadicus said:

There have been at least a couple more poets with acceptances from Syracuse (including myself). It's legit. I really don't think there are nearly as many trolls or fake postings as folks seem to think, especially in Draft and the spreadsheet.

Edit: But I do think it's odd rejections haven't come out yet! And no word on waitlists. I don't think anyone should cross it off the list.

Thank you for the info, good to know! And CONGRATS!! 🎉 there definitely are some trolls-- we've had one confirmed this year-- but I'm sure they're not that common. I just like to stay skeptical until more data comes in, and I never count anything out til the official rejection comes in.

2 hours ago, Rixor said:

Yeah usually it's for everyone, though sometimes it does depend and most of the time the school will be clear about that upfront from what I've seen. I know Hunter only covers full tuition for in-state students, and applies that amount to OOS tuition, which they say on the app info page.

1 hour ago, Southron said:

0a/0w/8r/9p

Don't give up hope yet! You still have 9 schools to go, and a lot of programs don't start notifying at all til March! It's natural to get much more rejections than acceptances, especially with competitive programs. Making it to round 2 for UTK is already an accomplishment that shows you're on the right track! Your recommendors had faith in you, so have faith in yourself that something good will come.