2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

16 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

After posting this, I quickly realized Northwestern isn't fully funded (I thought I had applied to only funded schools but I guess one slipped through the cracks...) and my excitement faded lol

Wtf??? When did they stop funding?

8 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Thanks! ❤️Yeah, NW has an MFA separate from the Litowitz :(

Booo! Surely if they can fund one of the MFA programs, they can fund the other. Both of UT’s MFA programs are fully funded. Ah, but still. Congrats! 

-

Cornell rejection is in. Didn’t think I’d get in anyway so it doesn’t sting as much. Congrats to those who got in or were waitlisted! 

1a/2r/0w/7p

2 hours ago, 3feetofsnow said:

Oh no, I’m so sorry! Which program is it if you don’t mind me asking?

Nevada, the founder of the program is super, duper kind and it's a pleasure corresponding with him--and it's not like applicants were explicitly told "this might get cancelled," moreso, "there was a development" that could impact it. But yeah, it sucks to feel all uncertain again. 

Y'all, celebrate your acceptances but also don't get too daydreamy about them 😭 Unfortunately things happen and plans can become uncertain. I know I'm being a little doom-and-gloom but I told people "yeah, I'm going to grad school :)" and researched the city and stuff and that's not entirely certain anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Nevada, the founder of the program is super, duper kind and it's a pleasure corresponding with him--and it's not like applicants were explicitly told "this might get cancelled," moreso, "there was a development" that could impact it. But yeah, it sucks to feel all uncertain again. 

Y'all, celebrate your acceptances but also don't get too daydreamy about them 😭 Unfortunately things happen and plans can become uncertain. I know I'm being a little doom-and-gloom but I told people "yeah, I'm going to grad school :)" and researched the city and stuff and that's not entirely certain anymore. 

Ugh. I'm so so sorry. Something similar happened to me years ago, except I had already started the program (as an international student, so I had moved across the world to do so 🙃) when they told me they were essentially cancelling my program due to a faculty change and I would need to transfer into a totally different degree. It's so unbelievably frustrating to realize you've done everything you were supposed to do and some things are still out of your control. Hoping everything works out  ❤️ 

1 minute ago, pananoprodigy said:

Ugh. I'm so so sorry. Something similar happened to me years ago, except I had already started the program (as an international student, so I had moved across the world to do so 🙃) when they told me they were essentially cancelling my program due to a faculty change and I would need to transfer into a totally different degree. It's so unbelievably frustrating to realize you've done everything you were supposed to do and some things are still out of your control. Hoping everything works out  ❤️ 

Oh man, I can't imagine enduring something like that! I'm so sorry--especially as an international student, that's so, so tough! 

Thank you so much. I hope all works out for you, too! 

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

i hope so. these soft rejections are killing me. 

Same. I was waitlisted by them last year. They alternate the acceptance numbers by genre each year. Last year, they accepted 2 for fiction, so this year it should be 3. 

Another one bites the dust (Cornell rejection for me). Yes, the soft rejections are hard, I still have no idea if I should even be holding out hope for a USC waitlist bc there’s only acceptances logged so far on the draft sheet

4 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Anyone have advice for who and what I should email to find out if Nw Is offering me funding? I got an automated portal email admitting me, lol. I'm a noob (obviously)

Don't want to dampen your achievement, but I don't think Northwestern grants any funding for the MFA (aside from the Litowitz MA+MFA program). 

6 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Anyone have advice for who and what I should email to find out if Nw Is offering me funding? I got an automated portal email admitting me, lol. I'm a noob (obviously)

I’m not sure, there’s no contact info on the email/in the portal? Online I’m only finding resources for Litowitz and nothing for a second MFA program

5 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Don't want to dampen your achievement, but I don't think Northwestern grants any funding for the MFA (aside from the Litowitz MA+MFA program). 

Nah don't worry, that's what i thought. I just wish I had realized before applying! I should have applied for the litowitz instead! Well, there's always next year!

@3feetofsnow there's barely anything about it online. I had applied to it bc NW is listed on the profellow fully funded list (probably bc of litowitz). Probably just gonna give up on chicago, no worries haha

13 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Nah don't worry, that's what i thought. I just wish I had realized before applying! I should have applied for the litowitz instead! Well, there's always next year!

The Litowitz program rotates which genres they're accepting, and this year they were only accepting fiction and creative non-fiction, anyways, so 2025 would be open to poetry if you have to reapply next year.

6 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

The Litowitz program rotates which genres they're accepting, and this year they were only accepting fiction and creative non-fiction, anyways, so 2025 would be open to poetry if you have to reapply next year.

I believe they were accepting poetry and non-fiction this year? I emailed them because they website was confusing and was told fiction was next year so I didn't apply to the Litowitz this year....Did I get that wrong?

@Rixor Really sorry to hear about the sudden confusion in the program, I hope it ends up working out for you, seems really unfair to have this uncertainty after acceptances have gone through. Sending you lots of hugs and luck, hopefully another acceptance also turns up so you're not dependent on this one alone.

Also I am here to report I too received my Cornell rejection and I'm grateful for once because I finally got the rejection email instead of being left in limbo! 

13 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

I believe they were accepting poetry and non-fiction this year? I emailed them because they website was confusing and was told fiction was next year so I didn't apply to the Litowitz this year....Did I get that wrong?

Actually I think you're right. english.northwestern.edu/graduate/admissions/mfa-ma-admissions.html says the 2023 application period is closed, but then on the same page it says "applications for 2024 are no longer being accepted". I don't know why they're going off of "application year" instead of the year of when the program would start.

3 minutes ago, 3feetofsnow said:

I’m definitely getting more nervous now that I’ve heard back from as many schools as I have left (if you count the unofficial official vandy rejection) with no As yet 😬

Ahh same. The only schools I'm left to hear back from are Syracuse, UT Austin (Michener), Brown, Michigan, Iowa and NYU which honestly have the same likelihood as Cornell or JHU or any of the other rejections I've received so far. I've heard people say that if you've gotten one acceptance you're likely to get at least one more since your quality of work is good enough for the standards that these schools run in. So I'm just waiting for the rejections to pile up in my inbox at this point. 

I hope we receive just the one acceptance at least, it's all that I need honestly. So fingers crossed, hopefully it works out for us! Here's to hoping. 

17 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Oh shoot! Re: litowitz, I'm wondering which it is now too as I'd like to apply but I'm bad at writing fiction lol!

From the site:

2023 (closed)
Creative Nonfiction, Poetry

2024: Creative Nonfiction, Fiction
2025: Fiction, Poetry
2026: Creative Nonfiction, Poetry

Oh wait yeah that’s by application year very weird to do it that way…

Edited by 3feetofsnow

10 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

Ahh same. The only schools I'm left to hear back from are Syracuse, UT Austin (Michener), Brown, Michigan, Iowa and NYU which honestly have the same likelihood as Cornell or JHU or any of the other rejections I've received so far. I've heard people say that if you've gotten one acceptance you're likely to get at least one more since your quality of work is good enough for the standards that these schools run in. So I'm just waiting for the rejections to pile up in my inbox at this point. 

I hope we receive just the one acceptance at least, it's all that I need honestly. So fingers crossed, hopefully it works out for us! Here's to hoping. 

I’m down to Brown and Michigan (long shots to begin with) along with USC (still hoping…), Rutgers-Newark, Arizona and Georgia College. I’m trying to stay positive but it’s hard!

9 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

Except for Brown, I'm waiting on these too. And like you, I just need one. 

Here's to hoping. 

Hello! Is anyone still waiting on Virginia Tech? I applied there, JHU, and Michigan — seems like they gave acceptances/waitlists last year across a range of dates in Feb… 

For fiction btw!