Unofficial Interview

troy.princess

I applied to Business PhD - Marketing (Consumer Behavior) for Fall 2011 admission.

2 months ago I sent an email to a potential advisor at one of the schools I'm applying to telling him about my research interests and their relation to his. it's my dream school and he is one of my main reasons for choosing this school. I also stated in my SOP that his research is one of my reasons for applying. We talked on email for some time and then I asked if i could meet him to talk more about his research and the department and he replied that he wants to see my application in order to know me better and then he will think about it. Today I received an email from him asking me to come for a "meeting" rolleyes.gif.

I'm soooo happy! and in total panic...

I have some questions:

1. Is this a good sign? regarding the possibility of acceptance?

2. He called it "meeting" and not an interview. what does it mean?

3. what is the proper attire for this meeting?

I come from a very casual country where "business casual" is when you don't wear flip flops and a tank so your advice is crucial to me.

I was thinking a tailored bright shirt, nice grey slacks and pumps.

But, I'm not really a heels type girl - will it be appropriate to wear flats?

Is it appropriate to carry a colorful purse - dark purple/red?

4. what is going to happen in that kind of meeting?

Thanks in advance for any advice and your kind help.

Congrats!It definitely sounds like an interview, and he wouldn't have asked you to come unless he liked your application. So while its not a guarantee of admission, it's definitely a good sign.

As for what you should wear, what you have described sounds appropriate. I think flats should be ok and if you're more comfortable in them than heels then you should wear them - you don't want to be worrying about something else during the meeting. I think the purse would be ok. I'm a guy so I'm not an expert on women's attire, so perhaps someone else can give their advice on this.

The meeting will likely be about what you requested it for initially - about your research and his and how your interests fit with what the department is doing. Be prepared to discuss anything in your application and also be prepared to ask a few questions about his research. Best of luck!