Comparative Literature 2024

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sarahpc2020 said:

Congrats, @confusinggrace! How did it go?

Thanks! I really don't know what to think of the interview. I was let into the zoom meeting like 10 minutes late and I felt like we were in a rush to still finish on time. We went over by a few minutes, so I still got about 15 min of my 20 min interview slot, but it was a struggle to try to answer their questions in such a short time period. I felt I didn't have the time to explain much of anything outside of what was already on my application. I had read that Duke's interviews could be pretty brutal, but the adcoms all seemed pretty cordial with me. One of them (I think it was Antonio Viego) said he really enjoyed my writing sample. Although, another one hinted that my research interests may be too broad for doctoral research... I suppose I won't really know how it went until I hear back.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:21 PM, confusinggrace said:

Thanks! I really don't know what to think of the interview. I was let into the zoom meeting like 10 minutes late and I felt like we were in a rush to still finish on time. We went over by a few minutes, so I still got about 15 min of my 20 min interview slot, but it was a struggle to try to answer their questions in such a short time period. I felt I didn't have the time to explain much of anything outside of what was already on my application. I had read that Duke's interviews could be pretty brutal, but the adcoms all seemed pretty cordial with me. One of them (I think it was Antonio Viego) said he really enjoyed my writing sample. Although, another one hinted that my research interests may be too broad for doctoral research... I suppose I won't really know how it went until I hear back.

15 minutes does not seem like a lot of time to delve into things! I would think it would be more about putting a face to a name. Fingers crossed that you'll hear some good news soon!

12 hours ago, sarahpc2020 said:

15 minutes does not seem like a lot of time to delve into things! I would think it would be more about putting a face to a name. Fingers crossed that you'll hear some good news soon!

I hope so. I just received my first decision of the cycle this morning, a rejection from Dartmouth's comp lit MA. I figured it would be a nice backup in case I don't get accepted into a PhD program. Guess I was wrong, but I have two other masters programs to apply to as well. 

Anyway, how are your applications going? Any news yet?

On 1/31/2024 at 2:03 PM, confusinggrace said:

I hope so. I just received my first decision of the cycle this morning, a rejection from Dartmouth's comp lit MA. I figured it would be a nice backup in case I don't get accepted into a PhD program. Guess I was wrong, but I have two other masters programs to apply to as well. 

Anyway, how are your applications going? Any news yet?

Yeah, rejections are so tough. I was rejected from the UMich Comp Lit PhD program and that hit hard. That's the only Comp Lit program I've heard from though! I've been accepted to one French PhD and two French MA programs so far, but nothing from the other Comp Lits. And I mainly applied to Comp Lits, so here's hoping . . .

Edited by sarahpc2020

23 hours ago, sarahpc2020 said:

Yeah, rejections are so tough. I was rejected from the UMich Comp Lit PhD program and that hit hard. That's the only Comp Lit program I've heard from though! I've been accepted to one French PhD and two French MA programs so far, but nothing from the other Comp Lits. And I mainly applied to Comp Lits, so here's hoping . . .

Got the UChicago and Brown rejections last night! Scared to hope for the others!

• 2 weeks later...

I was rejected by UIUC History program (Ph.D.), but now I am awaiting the decision of the French Studies (master) program at the same uni. I got accepted by Western Michigan Medieval Studies, but I don't have any scholarships available :( Besides that, I am still awaiting decisions on the Comparative Literature program at UCSB, wish me luck guys, fingers crossed!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 7:02 PM, confusinggrace said:

It worked! I finally got my first acceptance today (UCLA off the waitlist) after a long slew of rejections that made me question my entire existence. I'm going to grad school!

Wow, congratulations! What a fantastic program as well! And sunny California :)