What's the deal with interviews for art history? Informal 'chats' beforehand?

kleo

Hey everyone. Curious to hear what your experience has been with 'chatting' with potential supervisors on Zoom before applying and/or being invited to interviews afterward.

I reached out to professors at ~12 universities about applying to their PhD program in art history and/or archaeology/visual studies. I sent my CV and a 2-page project exposé with it. Almost all of them responded (some quickly, some not), and about half of these invited me to talk to them on Zoom about my research and why I was interested in the program. In all, I had about 7 or 8 of these informal (c. 15-30 minute) chats. They didn't exactly feel like interviews, but they did ask me what I was interested in researching and asked me to describe my academic journey.

In the end, I applied to 4 programs in the US. I haven't heard back from anyone about an interview yet -- but will I? For more info, I am applying to fairly competitive and fully funded programs this year (trying my luck, can always expand the search next year...). 

What were your experiences like in terms of reaching out to professors beforehand (if you did)? Have you been asked to interview after, or did you talk to anyone before? 

I still think it's a bit early to hear back for formal interviews, so I wouldn't stress about them yet! Even if you have previously spoken with your prospective advisor, some schools will do a separate interview as part of the process, usually with multiple professors (for instance IFA, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, off the top of my head - there are others). You can look at the results board from previous years to get a sense of which schools include interviews as part of their process. I will say, it does get a bit confusing because some people post informal chats as interviews, and I certainly think there is a range between formal interviews and instances where an individual professor wants to get a better sense of a prospective student after reading their application.

When I applied last year, some professors offered to speak when I indicated my interest in applying, and then I was asked to interview formally for some programs. However, because this was my second cycle, I was personally more laissez faire and felt I could have more in-depth conversations in the spring, if I were to be admitted.

Hopefully this helps!

Edited by Peter Kandinsky

That's helpful, thanks! I guess I'll have to wait and see. It's interesting that whether there is an interview or not is not a transparent part of most programs' websites. I wonder if they interview all considered candidates, or if it depends. Curious to know what others' experiences have been. 

I think most places have only recently started reading applications (I don’t think many schools would start on apps before the end of the fall semester). So I definitely wouldn’t be worried about not hearing about interviews yet—my guess is that places will start reaching out for that in February. 

Edited by Beek2023

This is a question that has also been on my mind! The advisor I am hoping to work with at my top choice school reached out earlier this week asking me to make an appointment to chat, but specifying that it's not a formal interview. I'm interpreting it as my chance to ask more questions about the program/field what our working relationship might be like. We were also in touch prior to applying, and they did not make the same offer then--on their website it says they only communicate with prosp. students via email prior to being admitted. 

Wondering how much to read into it and/or how nervous to be!

To update: I had a nice chat with the advisor--I got to ask some questions about the program and they informed me I was on a shortlist and explained what the formal interview w/ admissions committee would look like if I were to be selected for it (with the implication that I'd hear back soon).

11 minutes ago, michaelbubly said:

To update: I had a nice chat with the advisor--I got to ask some questions about the program and they informed me I was on a shortlist and explained what the formal interview w/ admissions committee would look like if I were to be selected for it (with the implication that I'd hear back soon).

This is great! You mind sharing how the interviews will look like?

2 hours ago, ltmltmltm said:

This is great! You mind sharing how the interviews will look like?

Sure! It was mostly along the lines of---there will be three members of the admissions committee and they'd be asking me questions more about my broad interests and interests that intersect with other faculty members besides my advisor, language preparation, research background. They emphasized it was more about getting to know me as a person rather than as an examination of knowledge!

I'm not comfortable posting it publicly but if you'd like to know which program you can PM me.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, michaelbubly said:

Sure! It was mostly along the lines of---there will be three members of the admissions committee and they'd be asking me questions more about my broad interests and interests that intersect with other faculty members besides my advisor, language preparation, research background. They emphasized it was more about getting to know me as a person rather than as an examination of knowledge!

I'm not comfortable posting it publicly but if you'd like to know which program you can PM me.

Thank you so much!!!!

My 2 interviews have been POI + 1 other person (1 GPD, 1 secondary advisor). 

We've chatted about:

-My academic journey
-How I came to the project
-Their thoughts on the project
-Fit assessment