MSW Applications (Fall 2024)

pinkshadow

Hi everyone! 

I applied to a few MSW programs in California and am creating a space here so that anyone who has applied to an MSW program for the Fall of 2024 can share updates and support each other through this process. 

I applied to MSW programs at California State University Los Angeles, Cal State San Bernardino, and CSUF for Fall 2024.

Below are a few questions to get the conversation going: 

1) Has anyone heard from any of these universities about their admission decisions? 
2) Do you know if any of these universities offer financial aid for their MSW programs and if so, how much?
3) Has anyone been offered/completed an interview? Any tips about the process or interview itself would be much appreciated! 

Good luck to everyone!

On 1/15/2024 at 11:41 PM, pinkshadow said:

Hi everyone! 

I applied to a few MSW programs in California and am creating a space here so that anyone who has applied to an MSW program for the Fall of 2024 can share updates and support each other through this process. 

I applied to MSW programs at California State University Los Angeles, Cal State San Bernardino, and CSUF for Fall 2024.

Below are a few questions to get the conversation going: 

1) Has anyone heard from any of these universities about their admission decisions? 
2) Do you know if any of these universities offer financial aid for their MSW programs and if so, how much?
3) Has anyone been offered/completed an interview? Any tips about the process or interview itself would be much appreciated! 

Good luck to everyone!

I also applied to MSW programs this cycle. I applied to UCLA, USC, Berkeley, and CSULB. Still waiting to hear back from all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied to only CSUSB and have not heard back yet, checking everyday!!

Not sure and i'm still waiting to here back from FAFSA as well. 

I believe CSUSB MSW has no interview 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to UCLA, CSULA, CSUF, CSUN, and CSULB. So far I've heard back from CSUF and CSUN, got interviewed for both. Still waiting on the others 🥲 One of my peers who also applied for MSW program in San Bernadino has already gotten accepted!

You can usually find financial aid info on their websites. Don't know too much about the details, but I know CSUF offers different aid and has different programs (Flex Program, B-HEAL); I would check on how to submit FAFSA to CalState campuses since it changed earlier this year. Here's some financial aid info for grad students: https://www.fullerton.edu/financialaid/graduate/index.php

I just went through my CSUF interview on 3/11/24. It was a group interview with 3 other candidates, and 2 interviewees who were professors/directors. The whole thing took about an hour, and everyone was asked the same 2 questions. One was about yourself/what led you to social work, and the other was about how you handle feedback. Then we all did a group discussion on time management/how to help students. They will pick you at random to answer, so whether you go first or last, make sure you have at least something ready to say! They give you a minute to gather your thoughts but it's always good to look prepared and confident.

For the one about what makes you qualified for social work: some people brought up their professional experience, while others brought up their upbringing/exposure to diverse groups. I don't think either is better than the other, so if you have both, MENTION BOTH! If you can fit in in a 5 min window. It's really just your personal statement all over again, so don't sweat like I did lol

Make sure to have questions prepared at the end to ask the interviewer. I think it makes you look invested in their program. Just make sure it's nothing you can find on their website, or you might look unprepared. You got this!! <3

On 2/27/2024 at 4:12 PM, steph28x said:

I applied to only CSUSB and have not heard back yet, checking everyday!!

Not sure and i'm still waiting to here back from FAFSA as well. 

I believe CSUSB MSW has no interview 

I'm still anxiously waiting for a response from CSUSB, I am dying to hear back already! My application wasn't complete before the 15th of January, so I am worried it wasn't added to the priority registration group. Fingers crossed!