2024 Fall UPenn GSE

LilyKitty

15 minutes ago, PopCultureScholar said:

I applied to the Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education Ed.D. program. I got a response from admissions after I asked them when we should hear from them (their response went to my junk folder - iCloud). They said I would hear in early to mid-February. 

Hi PopCultureScholar,

Thank you for sharing!! I applied to the Learning Sciences and Technology Ph.D. program. The wait is the hardest part! 

I applied for the mid-career EdD and I know that everyone gets interviewed on 2/10, but I haven't received any additional details yet. Does anyone know if they provide transport or lodging or if we have to cover our own expenses for travelling to interview days? 

5 hours ago, slegel said:

I applied for the mid-career EdD and I know that everyone gets interviewed on 2/10, but I haven't received any additional details yet. Does anyone know if they provide transport or lodging or if we have to cover our own expenses for travelling to interview days? 

Wait where did you find that out? Do they? Did you get an invite? 

On 1/26/2024 at 10:27 AM, PopCultureScholar said:

I applied to the Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education Ed.D. program. I got a response from admissions after I asked them when we should hear from them (their response went to my junk folder - iCloud). They said I would hear in early to mid-February. 

I got the same eta when I asked about the ECS Ph.D.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:16 PM, PopCultureScholar said:

Wait where did you find that out? Do they? Did you get an invite? 

For the mid-career program, they were clear throughout the process that they invite EVERYONE to a group interview on 2/10. I also got an auto-email when I submitted my application that I'd get more information from the department about next steps. But.... I haven't heard anything yet and I'm getting antsy to book my travel logistics, especially if they are out of pocket expenses!

25 minutes ago, slegel said:

For the mid-career program, they were clear throughout the process that they invite EVERYONE to a group interview on 2/10. I also got an auto-email when I submitted my application that I'd get more information from the department about next steps. But.... I haven't heard anything yet and I'm getting antsy to book my travel logistics, especially if they are out of pocket expenses!

Okay, so that was not part of my app. It makes sense for a Mid-Career program also saw over on Reddit that some of the Ph.D. programs have them as well at least in the STEM fields. That would suck to be on the hook, but if Penn GSE is like Teachers College (cheap) you likely are footing the bill but I am rooting for you not to be! If you emailed them and are waiting for a reply check your spam my reply from them went there - I almost had a heart attack. 

6 hours ago, whambam said:

I got the same eta when I asked about the ECS Ph.D.

I wonder if it is a college-wide deadline. The Education Culture and Society program was on my radar, but I refused to retake the GRE. My scores ran out last year, and it is an antiquated system and not a suitable measurement for readiness. I mean, you would think two master's, one from an Ivy and a grad certificate, would qualify for a waiver, but they claimed it wouldn't be fair - even though they did not have it as a requirement in the last few years. They don't require them for Ed. D.s, so I chose the Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education program since my research can fit there. I liked that they have an apprenticeship model, and I can still work. Penn is not my first choice (I don't like Philly), but it is a super good program, so we will see how it works out. I 100% trust that we will *ALL* end up where we are meant to be. Keep the faith; you got this! 

On 1/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, LilyKitty said:

Hi PopCultureScholar,

Thank you for sharing!! I applied to the Learning Sciences and Technology Ph.D. program. The wait is the hardest part! 

For sure. Did you write about AI in your SOP? I 100% trust that we will *ALL* end up where we are meant to be. Keep the faith; we got this!

2 hours ago, PopCultureScholar said:

For sure. Did you write about AI in your SOP? I 100% trust that we will *ALL* end up where we are meant to be. Keep the faith; we got this!

Thank you! This is so encouraging. Yes, I did mention AI in my SOP but didn't talk a lot about it as this is the emerging area I'd like to explore more. My previous and current experiences do not focus on AI.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, LilyKitty said:

Same here. I hate to say this but I have to admit that this might be a sign of rejection. I’m just preparing myself for that:).

Same. I am not holding my breath, but it would be nice to get the rejection sooner rather than later if they are going to send one.