Syracuse - SOP question - How you expect to finance?

Artist1

I'm applying to Syracuse for the MFA painting program. They ask you to describe how you expect to finance your studies when writing your SOP.

I'm not sure how to address this? I am very low-income and would like a TA position, scholarships, and grants. And of course take out loans. But what would be the best way to address this in my SOP...instead of saying I am broke, please give me money to go.

Anyone?

I'm applying to Syracuse for the MFA painting program. They ask you to describe how you expect to finance your studies when writing your SOP.

I'm not sure how to address this? I am very low-income and would like a TA position, scholarships, and grants. And of course take out loans. But what would be the best way to address this in my SOP...instead of saying I am broke, please give me money to go.

I woould say exactly what you said. Seems to me that quesiton is so they don't give money to trust fund babies and save it for the poor students. Or so they just accept people who are paying out of pocket, but I doubt that.

I would mention specific aspects of the program at Syracuse...like TA positions, or scholarships that they may have. I wouldn't flat out say you are broke, but definitely make it clear that you will rely on those opportunities. My guess is that they want to know that you are serious enough to have really sat down and thought about how you would pay for it.

It's def a tough question....you don't want to seem like you aren't dying to go there, but you also want them to know that you need financial help. I had similar issues because some of my applications like UT Austin, and PAFA (i think) asked if I would still attend if I had no financial assistance. I finally ended up saying no....because it was the honest truth. In the event that they would accept me, I would want them to know that I need help so they can offer it.

I just went ahead and listed the funding opportunities I will need and that I'll be using loans to pay the remainder. Just need to make it clear that I do need scholarships, fellowships, grants etc to attend....or really what's the point of applying. :P