2024 PhD Social Work Acceptance Advice

Hi there! I am hoping to get advice. I just received an offer letter to attend my top choice, fully funded PhD in social work program. My dilemma: I just started a job I adore at a non-profit  doing clinical work in the same field and specialization area of which I would be researching. I started that job within the past month. (I adore it because of how healthy the work environment is and I'm afraid I'll never find something that healthy again. It's financially stable and I believe in the work I'm doing. Let's call this NewJob, for ease of explanation.

Some backstory: when I submitted my application to PhD programs, I was at a different job (OldJob) that I was not enjoying as much. I submitted the PhD applications fully expecting to still be working at OldJob at the time of future enrollment, or to be rejected from the programs I applied to. Then I lost OldJob through no fault of my own in November. The PhD applications were submitted before I started interviewing for various positions after losing OldJob. I only applied to two schools with really competitive applicants (aren't they all, though). I honestly did not think I would get in to any of them. I think you can see where I am going with this. 

Surprise! I got accepted and it's to my dream school. 

The problem I am having is that my current colleagues think I am the perfect fit for the role at the NewJob, and I think I fit really nicely into the non-profit. I worry that if I accept this PhD offer, I'll only be able to give them 6.5 months at NewJob after they've spent so much time and effort hiring and training me; they've also had a lot of clinical staff turnover in the past couple of years because of clinicians doing shady things. Again, this NewJob offers a healthy work-life balance, a wonderful work environment, real camaraderie amongst the new staff, and a stable income. 

If I wasn't so worried about letting down my new clients/my new colleagues and worrying about finances in the current economy, the answer would be so easy and I would have smashed that "accept admission offer" button yesterday. I do worry about entering into a program during a time where so many global catastrophes are going on and I carry so much student debt from undergrad/my MSW. 

Equally as worried I am that I will never be accepted to this same program if I were to walk away from the table this year. I have never wanted to do just clinical work for the rest of my life, and I've always seen myself doing a PhD since I knew it was a thing that one could do. And I feel this program I got into is a perfect fit for me and my career goals. 

Any advice that might help me decide on what to do? I am going to be asking the graduate admissions person what timeline we are looking at for a final decision and whether a one-year deferral is an option (super rare in PhD programs, I know).  Thank you so much in advance. If waiting for an admissions decision didn't give me an ulcer, this definitely will. Haha 

6 hours ago, StewedBeans72 said:

Hi there! I am hoping to get advice. I just received an offer letter to attend my top choice, fully funded PhD in social work program. My dilemma: I just started a job I adore at a non-profit  doing clinical work in the same field and specialization area of which I would be researching. I started that job within the past month. (I adore it because of how healthy the work environment is and I'm afraid I'll never find something that healthy again. It's financially stable and I believe in the work I'm doing. Let's call this NewJob, for ease of explanation.

Some backstory: when I submitted my application to PhD programs, I was at a different job (OldJob) that I was not enjoying as much. I submitted the PhD applications fully expecting to still be working at OldJob at the time of future enrollment, or to be rejected from the programs I applied to. Then I lost OldJob through no fault of my own in November. The PhD applications were submitted before I started interviewing for various positions after losing OldJob. I only applied to two schools with really competitive applicants (aren't they all, though). I honestly did not think I would get in to any of them. I think you can see where I am going with this. 

Surprise! I got accepted and it's to my dream school. 

The problem I am having is that my current colleagues think I am the perfect fit for the role at the NewJob, and I think I fit really nicely into the non-profit. I worry that if I accept this PhD offer, I'll only be able to give them 6.5 months at NewJob after they've spent so much time and effort hiring and training me; they've also had a lot of clinical staff turnover in the past couple of years because of clinicians doing shady things. Again, this NewJob offers a healthy work-life balance, a wonderful work environment, real camaraderie amongst the new staff, and a stable income. 

If I wasn't so worried about letting down my new clients/my new colleagues and worrying about finances in the current economy, the answer would be so easy and I would have smashed that "accept admission offer" button yesterday. I do worry about entering into a program during a time where so many global catastrophes are going on and I carry so much student debt from undergrad/my MSW. 

Equally as worried I am that I will never be accepted to this same program if I were to walk away from the table this year. I have never wanted to do just clinical work for the rest of my life, and I've always seen myself doing a PhD since I knew it was a thing that one could do. And I feel this program I got into is a perfect fit for me and my career goals. 

Any advice that might help me decide on what to do? I am going to be asking the graduate admissions person what timeline we are looking at for a final decision and whether a one-year deferral is an option (super rare in PhD programs, I know).  Thank you so much in advance. If waiting for an admissions decision didn't give me an ulcer, this definitely will. Haha 

In addition to asking for a deferral, would it be possible to ask to go part-time instead of full-time? That means, of course, that you won't be guaranteed funding, but you'll be able to do both at once. Or, alternatively, would you be able to switch to part-time at your job?

And though it may be rare to defer PhD school, I have heard stories where people who were on the waitlist got in years later, so you could always reapply -- if your application was strong enough to get you in this round, it is bound to be stronger next time you apply because you'll have more experience. 

On 2/27/2024 at 7:08 AM, PrincessOfThemyscira said:

In addition to asking for a deferral, would it be possible to ask to go part-time instead of full-time? That means, of course, that you won't be guaranteed funding, but you'll be able to do both at once. Or, alternatively, would you be able to switch to part-time at your job?

And though it may be rare to defer PhD school, I have heard stories where people who were on the waitlist got in years later, so you could always reapply -- if your application was strong enough to get you in this round, it is bound to be stronger next time you apply because you'll have more experience. 

Thank you for your advice! It is helpful and hopeful. :)