First Time Applied was Waitlisted - Second Time Rejected - What do you suggest should be the next move HKS MC-MPA

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get your input on what should I do moving forward.

I applied to Harvard Kennedy MC-MPA and the first time I got waitlisted and didn't get it.

The year after I applied unfortunately I got rejected.

I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience and how should I plan my next move going forward.

Do you think I should apply again next year back to back or I should wait a couple of years

Keeping in mind that you have only 3 times to apply to the same program

MBA with 3.3 GPA

Undergrad in Business Management  3.2 GPA Minor in Government

13 Year Work experience in Journalism and Public/ Community Service

International Student Applying for the Mason Fellow

11 hours ago, MCMPA23 said:

MBA with 3.3 GPA

Undergrad in Business Management  3.2 GPA Minor in Government

13 Year Work experience in Journalism and Public/ Community Service

International Student Applying for the Mason Fellow

Did you take the GRE ? You’re average in terms of the number of years you’ve been working (13 years). 

7 hours ago, DireBoss90 said:

Did you take the GRE ? You’re average in terms of the number of years you’ve been working (13 years). 

No I didn't take the GRE. the MC-MPA Mason fellow doesn't require GRE.

And since I was wait listed the first time I didn't think that it was a obstacle.

13 minutes ago, MCMPA23 said:

No I didn't take the GRE. the MC-MPA Mason fellow doesn't require GRE.

And since I was wait listed the first time I didn't think that it was an obstacle.

it’s optional for everyone now but if you did t take a lot of quantitative courses it might be a good idea to take it 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say you keep working, get involved in more community and leadership activities and initiatives, improve your profile overall in the next 2-3 years and apply with at least 15 years of work experience - but make that experience count. 

Meaning you will have lived unique different life experiences, thus your essays should be completely new, rich with a tangible personal and professional growth. Do some traveling. Do something completely different.

Go to Somalia, to Haiti, or somewhere for research and publications, for example.... But with a genuine curiosity and intentions for contributing to something difficult and for the benefit of others. Get out of your confort zone and explore different leadership positions, countries, life experiences, etc, that will actually make your application more robust and diverse, because you actually will apply like a different person. But you can't fake it. You have to live it. 

Furthermore, what does "Journalism and Public/ Community Service" even mean? That might be a reason, in terms of if they can't actually understand what you do, what you have accomplished professionally, what's your goal, what's your life plan, your dreams, etc

Also, in the mean time, try to apply to short term fellowships or scholarships at different universities or institutions. You'll find plenty of online resources on fellowships and scholarships for short term studies or executive education, like for 1-2 weeks. Try to do at least 1 per year. Even if you have to pay some part. 

The MC MPA I know all have UNIQUE life stories that if you know them you never forget them. No one is average. They all have very specific and unique life experiences that are unforgettable.

That should be your focus: sending an application that they will never forget because of how unique you are. Thus, put yourself in new personal and professional endeavors. Start a business, volunteer in something so unique, write a blog they can read online, try to get some kind of prize for for some unique contribution, put yourself in life transforming situations - professional, personal, academic, spiritual, emotional, mental, or a bit of everything. 

So when you reach 15 years of work experience, in fact you won't even recognize yourself. Change careers, expand careers, or just change things up a bit. 

The point is to make the admissions committee read your essays and NEVER FORGET your name and life story. That's how HKS works. They look for unique people with demonstrated leadership capabilities, efforts and results. 

Live in a couple of different countries for the next few years, or something. Just change your life up to different experiences. Not only for the application, but for yourself. Also, make people notice you, your work and contributions. Cultivate new high level relationships that will be willing to write real recommendations for you because they admire and trust you. 

Don't apply again until YOU KNOW that you have changed substantially and have a completely different application to send. Also, look for other mid career master degrees in other universities, like Princeton, Yale, MIT, Stanford, Columbia, etc... There are many mid career degrees. Just try the best as possible to get a scholarship. DO NOT GO INTO DEBT. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. 

Any questions, go ahead... Good luck!