FRQS Results Announced Tomorrow at 9AM

Hi all,

The FRQS results (for students in Quebec or applying to Quebec universities) are announced tomorrow at 9am. Yay! Let's commiserate or celebrate here. 

I also have a question. This is my first year applying to both SSHRC and FRQSC. I know that you cannot hold both. Considering SSHRC will have an increase in funding in 2025, is it better to pick SSHRC if I am lucky enough to get both?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Hi all,

The FRQS results (for students in Quebec or applying to Quebec universities) are announced tomorrow at 9am. Yay! Let's commiserate or celebrate here. 

I also have a question. This is my first year applying to both SSHRC and FRQSC. I know that you cannot hold both. Considering SSHRC will have an increase in funding in 2025, is it better to pick SSHRC if I am lucky enough to get both?

Thanks!

Hi Gretta! Came here from the SSHRC thread. I think, my preference, would be to accept SSHRC because it is considered a more prestigious and widely known award. I had friends who won both, and even through SSHRC was less money, they accepted SSHRC instead of FRQSC because of that. Someone else may have more insight into that though. 

14 minutes ago, Shannon Lynn said:

Hi Gretta! Came here from the SSHRC thread. I think, my preference, would be to accept SSHRC because it is considered a more prestigious and widely known award. I had friends who won both, and even through SSHRC was less money, they accepted SSHRC instead of FRQSC because of that. Someone else may have more insight into that though. 

Really! Wow. Okay. I guess it makes sense to pick the more prestigious one. But I'm poor... haha!

1 hour ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

You can actually (sort of) hold both! If you get both, and accept SSHRC, you can get a top-up from FRQSC to make up the difference in the funding amount. This is what I would recommend doing because then you get to keep the more prestigious SSHRC award but get the full amount of the FRQSC. If you look at the program rules, there's a section on concurrent scholarships (8.4) that explains it. 

2 minutes ago, eedu9924 said:

You can actually (sort of) hold both! If you get both, and accept SSHRC, you can get a top-up from FRQSC to make up the difference in the funding amount. This is what I would recommend doing because then you get to keep the more prestigious SSHRC award but get the full amount of the FRQSC. If you look at the program rules, there's a section on concurrent scholarships (8.4) that explains it. 

Thank you so much! Fascinating. I had never heard of that.

4 minutes ago, eedu9924 said:

I wonder if it is possible that your institution can deny you from accepting both? Because I know a handful of people who have won both and I am pretty certain they didn't accept both. Or maybe they just didn't know that they could. 

8 minutes ago, Shannon Lynn said:

I wonder if it is possible that your institution can deny you from accepting both? Because I know a handful of people who have won both and I am pretty certain they didn't accept both. Or maybe they just didn't know that they could. 

I believe it is a recent change, so maybe that's why? FRQ increased their funding from 21k to 25k in 2023-2024 so I think they changed it then, because previously FRQSC and SSHRC were the same amount. 

Just now, eedu9924 said:

I believe it is a recent change, so maybe that's why? FRQ increased their funding from 21k to 25k in 2023-2024 so I think they changed it then, because previously FRQSC and SSHRC were the same amount. 

Oh wow! That is a nice increase!

2 hours ago, Gretta Conroy said:

I got in! 🫠

my application got a 89.67/100 score and I didn’t get funding :(

I'm sorry. It really sucks. I didn't get funding either. 😔 On top of that, my score was only 82. I was 8/21 and up to 5 in my category got funding. I am feeling super sad because if my score was that low, I think my chances for SSHRC are pretty much zero. 

I have to try and prep for my candidacy exam on Thursday, and my motivation to do that is really low now. 😣

7 minutes ago, Shannon Lynn said:

I'm sorry. It really sucks. I didn't get funding either. 😔 On top of that, my score was only 82. I was 8/21 and up to 5 in my category got funding. I am feeling super sad because if my score was that low, I think my chances for SSHRC are pretty much zero. 

I have to try and prep for my candidacy exam on Thursday, and my motivation to do that is really low now. 😣

I’m so sorry. 😞 That’s not a low score though. Anything above 70 is eligible to receive funding. It is relative and depends on the grades of the people in your group. I was talking to someone in FRQNT and he scored less than me and was first in his group. 

Good luck on your exam!!! If it helps, I feel incredibly unmotivated now too. 

7 hours ago, Shannon Lynn said:

Thank you. I had really hoped to do better. I guess onwards and upwards. :) Good luck with the SSHRC!