American Studies PhD?

I am a non-traditional student who changed my major as an undergrad a few years back 3 times because is was BORED with the first two, having accomplished in the "real" world what we were "theorizing" in class. So, I ended up in English with a minor in Native American Studies, then I got my MA in English/Creative Writing a couple of years later and applied to a university back home as I was really homesick. I visited in advance but was really not at all happy with the program although I was focusing on a concentration in Creative Writing. During all this time, in spite of the obvious displeasure of the various English departments, I took a number of courses in Anthropology, History, and Ethnology. I am currently teaching at a community college because I just couldn't decide what to do at my school. I want to go back and finish my PhD. But, my only logical choice for my current school (which I have not attended in 3 semesters) is to concentrate in Folklore, which I really like, but I think I really want to finish up in American Studies as that interdisciplinary approach is the real me. I have done my research and found several possible schools but was wondering if anyone had any experience in these programs.

With a past and interests as varied as yours, American Studies would be a great fit, but there is another thing to consider about the danger of American Studies and other interdisciplinary degrees. Whether you like it or not, if you hope to work in academia, there is a solid possibility that you will only be able to find work in an English or history department. Oftentimes these more traditional departments look down on interdisciplinary degrees, or, in a more ideal situation, expect you to prove that you know your way around the canonical texts and movements of a given period. So, while American Studies may seem the dream program to encompass all of your interests, at some point you'll have to hunker down and specialize in a field so that you can market yourself post-PhD to both interdisciplinary programs and one standard type of program (as my example above suggests, I think English is your best bet here).

Also, be aware that even in gaining this expertise, getting an interdisciplinary degree can prove problematic in the job market. Look at all the warnings against going to school for an English doctorate. Now imagine being someone who is going for a degree whose place within the traditional university is still questionable. For me, because of the strength of American Studies programs outside of the US, I am willing to run such a risk with an understanding that the only satisfying work I may find might be on the other side of the ocean. It's something to think about...

As for specific programs, I would suggest that you continue investigating and that even though it seems like certain departments are too restrictive for your wide-ranging interests, explore them! So many traditional disciplines are now members of the church of interdisciplinarity. There are probably many cultural anthropology and area studies programs that would be a surprisingly good fit for you. Many, although I don't speak from experience, are committed to training you in the methodology and theory of the field, but allowing you to craft your own program of study and research as well.

My biggest suggestion would be to begin thinking about your project, your dissertation. You've done a lot of coursework and if you're looking to complete a PhD, then yes the courses offered should be a consideration, but the bigger point of the PhD is writing your first book. So what do you want to say? Find professors at school who have said things that you'll turn to to buttress whatever you say or who seem to saying the same thing as you, but about a different author or time period. Once you begin to make these connections, you'll begin to find programs (be they American Studies, Cultural Anthropology, or otherwise) that make sense for you and your interests.

This is long: apologies. In short, although interdisciplinarity is attractive (especially to those of us who feel suffocated in traditional departments), attending a program in American Studies does not mean you get to avoid the reality of university/departmental biases and hiring practices. If anything, in those interdisciplinary programs you have to work extra hard to ensure that you develop two or three fields of expertise early on and learn them through and through, you need that if you ever want to get hired.

• 2 weeks later...

With a past and interests as varied as yours, American Studies would be a great fit, but there is another thing to consider about the danger of American Studies and other interdisciplinary degrees. Whether you like it or not, if you hope to work in academia, there is a solid possibility that you will only be able to find work in an English or history department. Oftentimes these more traditional departments look down on interdisciplinary degrees, or, in a more ideal situation, expect you to prove that you know your way around the canonical texts and movements of a given period. So, while American Studies may seem the dream program to encompass all of your interests, at some point you'll have to hunker down and specialize in a field so that you can market yourself post-PhD to both interdisciplinary programs and one standard type of program (as my example above suggests, I think English is your best bet here).

Also, be aware that even in gaining this expertise, getting an interdisciplinary degree can prove problematic in the job market. Look at all the warnings against going to school for an English doctorate. Now imagine being someone who is going for a degree whose place within the traditional university is still questionable. For me, because of the strength of American Studies programs outside of the US, I am willing to run such a risk with an understanding that the only satisfying work I may find might be on the other side of the ocean. It's something to think about...

As for specific programs, I would suggest that you continue investigating and that even though it seems like certain departments are too restrictive for your wide-ranging interests, explore them! So many traditional disciplines are now members of the church of interdisciplinarity. There are probably many cultural anthropology and area studies programs that would be a surprisingly good fit for you. Many, although I don't speak from experience, are committed to training you in the methodology and theory of the field, but allowing you to craft your own program of study and research as well.

My biggest suggestion would be to begin thinking about your project, your dissertation. You've done a lot of coursework and if you're looking to complete a PhD, then yes the courses offered should be a consideration, but the bigger point of the PhD is writing your first book. So what do you want to say? Find professors at school who have said things that you'll turn to to buttress whatever you say or who seem to saying the same thing as you, but about a different author or time period. Once you begin to make these connections, you'll begin to find programs (be they American Studies, Cultural Anthropology, or otherwise) that make sense for you and your interests.

This is long: apologies. In short, although interdisciplinarity is attractive (especially to those of us who feel suffocated in traditional departments), attending a program in American Studies does not mean you get to avoid the reality of university/departmental biases and hiring practices. If anything, in those interdisciplinary programs you have to work extra hard to ensure that you develop two or three fields of expertise early on and learn them through and through, you need that if you ever want to get hired.

Thank you so much. I intuited much of this but it is good to see my fears on paper. I know that it is frustrating to always be "pushing the envelope," but I am kind of used to it by now and since my area of "expertise," as it is is American Indian literature, history, ethnography, particularly the trickster, I am sure I can complete the program at my current university in English with a concentration on folk lore. I just need to get over my frustration with their restrictions.