Visiting Weekends 2011

newms

so I was thinking I was probably out of the CMU running .. but then I looked at the results for the robotics institute (I didn't apply to CS), and it seems like they send out their notifications around the 18th-23rdish .. also, I found this for their visit weekend: http://www.ri.cmu.edu/events/openhouse11.html

which is different from what I've heard about the CS weekend .. so I'm going to keep the hope alive for a little longer!

I just attended a visit weekend at Penn State at State College this past weekend (11/12 February) for the PhD computer science program. The event was put on by the school of engineering, so other majors like electrical engineering and mechanical engineering were also covered at the event.

I am pretty sure of what school to attend. In addition, I cannot attend any visiting days due to work.. How do I mention politely that I will not be visiting? Would it negatively affect me? Especially that the department is small in size and they do not accept a lot of people

Thanks

I am pretty sure of what school to attend. In addition, I cannot attend any visiting days due to work.. How do I mention politely that I will not be visiting? Would it negatively affect me? Especially that the department is small in size and they do not accept a lot of people

If they already accepted you, then it doesn't matter. Just tell them that you have to be at work during that time and that you regret not being able to attend etc. Otherwise, see if you can arrange a phone interview or something of the sort. Also, if you find a day or so some other time than the visiting weekends, you can talk to them and ask if you could visit then, if they would reimburse you etc. I am talking more so about the program you said would like to attend than the others. It is always nice to see the school you'll be spending your next 4-to-7 years at (if we're talking about a PhD).