Plan B

raverlax

I don't want to jinx anyone but I'm a planner and would love to compare plan B's. Suppose you don't get into a school that you want, don't get the funding you want, or just decide to wait a year? What will you do in the meantime?

I decided about a week ago to withdraw my applications for MFA this year. I didn't feel like I was ready and I knew my work would be in a much better place with a little more time. You only get out of it what you put in, and I would hate to waste my time in MFA fumbling around with new ideas and direction. As my post-bac professor put it the other day (the best explanation of MFA I've heard thus far)- ' it is a time to break down ideas and build them back up. If you don't enter with a plan, identity, and focused body of work, there is nothing to analyze and nothing to gain from it'.

So that leads into my plan B. I am doing a post-bac certificate, slowly but surely. If I don't finish it, no big deal. Right now it is more about making the courses work for me and my work. I also was offered a residency at a local gallery. Well, we sort of negotiated a residency, but it will again allow me to make of it what I will.

All this talk about my work, I guess I should get back to it...

Anyone else going with plan B? Or have you thought about what it might be if you aren't happy with your acceptances?

I've been thinking of a Plan B in case I don't get accepted or don't get enough financial aid to go this year. I'm ready to go as I've taken a handful of years off and have a very specific focus and direction.

But my Plan B is to stay at my studio I have now and continue my work within the art community. I'd try to take advantage of some of the programs and grants that are available in my state that I have not applied for yet. I'd apply to some outside residencies, possibly even in Europe. I'd continue teaching workshops. And of course, developing my work in the studio.

I really don't want to wait another year. I'm completely ready and have waited long enough. I fear more about being accepted and not receiving enough financial aid to go.

Now... the waiting game.

I don't want to jinx anyone but I'm a planner and would love to compare plan B's. Suppose you don't get into a school that you want, don't get the funding you want, or just decide to wait a year? What will you do in the meantime?

I decided about a week ago to withdraw my applications for MFA this year. I didn't feel like I was ready and I knew my work would be in a much better place with a little more time. You only get out of it what you put in, and I would hate to waste my time in MFA fumbling around with new ideas and direction. As my post-bac professor put it the other day (the best explanation of MFA I've heard thus far)- ' it is a time to break down ideas and build them back up. If you don't enter with a plan, identity, and focused body of work, there is nothing to analyze and nothing to gain from it'.

So that leads into my plan B. I am doing a post-bac certificate, slowly but surely. If I don't finish it, no big deal. Right now it is more about making the courses work for me and my work. I also was offered a residency at a local gallery. Well, we sort of negotiated a residency, but it will again allow me to make of it what I will.

All this talk about my work, I guess I should get back to it...

Anyone else going with plan B? Or have you thought about what it might be if you aren't happy with your acceptances?

I honestly will study something different if it does not work this year again. I cannot afford to keep waiting year after year only to be rejected again after spending this kind of money on applications and transcripts. I have already started looking at other programs that may interest me.

This is my first year applying (after 8 years out of school), so I'm sure that if I take the time to refine my applications I'll have a better shot next year. I'm not in a rush. The programs I'm applying to are ridiculously competitive. There are countless reasons why my work could be rejected or simply overlooked this year. It would be silly to take not getting accepted as a complete denunciation. Plan B is to try Plan A again.

With the applications out of the way, I've had plenty of time recently to obsess about what I'll do if I'm not accepted anywhere or don't get a feasible offer (I'd give it a 35-40% chance, at minimum). I'll probably be fairly dysfunctional right away, but I imagine I'll come around after a few weeks. I've got a decent job, which I can keep for another year, and I suppose I'll just keep working on my portfolio for next season. I'm a little concerned that without access to a workshop I won't be able to produce much new work, but there are a few pieces that I might like to shoot over again and some different portfolio arrangements that I'd like to try out, so I should have plenty to do either way.

That sounds like a plan. Hopefully, we won't need to put them into effect.

Hi,

On this (somewhat unnerving) note (the Plan B note), I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for residencies (anywhere in the world) for young, pre-MFA artists. I think I'm going to apply to a few--ones with funding, preferably, as a plan B. So far I have Vermont Studio Center and Djerassi in CA on my list. Any other great ones?

Thanks!

Hi,

On this (somewhat unnerving) note (the Plan B note), I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for residencies (anywhere in the world) for young, pre-MFA artists. I think I'm going to apply to a few--ones with funding, preferably, as a plan B. So far I have Vermont Studio Center and Djerassi in CA on my list. Any other great ones?

Thanks!

When I was an undergradurate I interned at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. They have some really awesome artist in residencies. In fact part of my work was to sort out the rejections from the acceptances. I will warn you it is competitive...but you should look into it.

res arts and trans arts are good places to start looking.

One thing you can do is look at the bios of the recently accepted artists to get a feel for how much experience the residency program wants.

If you are on level or close, or just love it, apply!

Edited by sarah J

Apply to the Contemporary Artists Center at Woodside, in Troy, NY. VSC is awesome has a really strong community, competitive but not horrible. Most people you meet at residencies have done an MFA. I don't have one, and I've managed to get into a handful, but I am usually one of the few without.

I honestly will study something different if it does not work this year again. I cannot afford to keep waiting year after year only to be rejected again after spending this kind of money on applications and transcripts. I have already started looking at other programs that may interest me.

If you don't mind, can I ask you what schools you applied previously?

Last year was:

UF

USF

ASU

Uni. of Arizona

Columbia

Cranbrook

Uni. of New Mexico

RISID

(this years schools are under my signature.)

Last year I did not visit any of the schools and I was still a senior. This year now that I had a year off, I visited a lot of schools across the country. This has cost me a boat load...buying plane tickets, renting cars, and paying for hotels. Despite the cost I am so glad I got to go in person and see some of these places.

So if it does not work out I will have to bite my tongue and study a so-called "professional" degree.

My dad, has helped me out with some of these fees though....

MFA or not, I will always enjoy my photography.

Edited by Chrono Trigger

Hi Chrono Trigger - I don't think this question is proper for this topic, but I'd ask anyway since you are the only one I saw here with OSU (Ohio State) on the list. Have you heard anything from them at all? I haven't heard a single word since I sent in my application - I tried to call them / email them but never got answered, and their website doesn't seem to say much. I'm simply curious whether they conduct interviews, or when approximately I should expect to hear back.... Do you have any idea?

My plan B: apply for art schools / programs in the UK, or find a job (most likely as a teacher).

Last year was:

UF

USF

ASU

Uni. of Arizona

Columbia

Cranbrook

Uni. of New Mexico

RISID

(this years schools are under my signature.)

Last year I did not visit any of the schools and I was still a senior. This year now that I had a year off, I visited a lot of schools across the country. This has cost me a boat load...buying plane tickets, renting cars, and paying for hotels. Despite the cost I am so glad I got to go in person and see some of these places.

So if it does not work out I will have to bite my tongue and study a so-called "professional" degree.

My dad, has helped me out with some of these fees though....

MFA or not, I will always enjoy my photography.

Edited by daiy

Hi Chrono Trigger - I don't think this question is proper for this topic, but I'd ask anyway since you are the only one I saw here with OSU (Ohio State) on the list. Have you heard anything from them at all? I haven't heard a single word since I sent in my application - I tried to call them / email them but never got answered, and their website doesn't seem to say much. I'm simply curious whether they conduct interviews, or when approximately I should expect to hear back.... Do you have any idea?

My plan B: apply for art schools / programs in the UK, or find a job (most likely as a teacher).

I am actually currently living in Muncie, Indiana (northeast part of Indiana) this year. OSU is about a two and a half hour drive from me. You would think I would have heard from them and Indiana University. But I too have not heard a word :/

I did visit OSU in October and they did not mention if they do interviews. They are actually in the process of moving their photography department into another building, I suspect that may be keeping them busy. The new building is going to be much nicer! One of the students was also explaining to me

you will also have the choice to choose between a 2 or 3 year program as of 2012.

well i hope you get something this time chrono, obviously not at my expense lol

• 2 weeks later...