Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello I am Applying to ML masters for Autumn 2027, I also have a subfield / applied ml focus. Looking for feedback / if i am delusional.
Undergrad: Computer science degree from top 100 college internationally, best in country
Nationality - Eu citizen 

GPA: 4.05/4.2. Years 3-4, mostly A/A+. However gpa is only calculated from last 2 years so not knowing full transcript is relevant for masters year 1 i did not open a book and got mostly cs, year 2 i got mid grades first semester and also failed discrete maths, however i got all As the second semester. 

for example some maths grades since i think the more top tier programs care about them- Matrix Algebra (C), Foundations of Maths I (C+), Foundations of Maths II (B-), Failed Discrete Mathematics on first attempt, passed on repeat,  Linear Algebra II (A+), Calculus II (A), Graphs and Networks (A),  Probability (A+), Optimisation (A+), Machine Learning (A), Deep Learning (A),  Information Theory (B+), Statistical Inference (A)

Research: First-author paper at A tier conference internationally, thesis is being submitted to a national conference.
Work Experience - FAANG six month internship, currently working at same company, normal software development, i also have cumulatively i think around 12 months of research intern / assistant type experience, both just at colleges no special places.
Letters: I would say one very strong, one pretty good and one good / ok.
I am looking at top tier programs like:
KTH MSc Machine Learning, EPFL Data science masters, Edinburgh, Cambridge MPhil, ETH zurich, UCL machine learning masters

However I'm wondering if i am delusional given my profile / I am wasting my money by applying?

 

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I wouldn’t say you’re delusional or wasting money by applying. Your profile has some clear strengths, especially the strong upward academic trend and the A/A+ grades in relevant areas like linear algebra, probability, optimisation, ML, and statistical inference.

That said, I wouldn’t assume the earlier grades are completely irrelevant just because they aren’t included in your GPA. Some programs may review the full transcript, and a C in Matrix Algebra plus a failed Discrete Mathematics attempt could raise questions for mathematically intensive ML programs.

The important part is that your later performance provides a strong counterargument: you clearly improved and performed very well in more advanced quantitative and ML courses. Your research record and FAANG experience also strengthen the application considerably.

For programs this competitive, admission is never guaranteed, but I’d definitely apply if the application costs are reasonable. I’d treat the most selective schools as reaches rather than assuming your early grades automatically disqualify you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use