Laboni765
Members-
Posts
27 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by Laboni765
-
Can I apply to MSCS or PhD in CS with a BSIT?
Laboni765 replied to WestSouth's topic in Computer Science
A BSIT does not automatically prevent you from applying to MSCS or PhD programs. Your 3.6 GPA and Mathematics minor are positives, especially with courses like linear algebra and real analysis. For an MSCS, the main thing to check is whether you have enough core CS coursework, such as data structures and algorithms, computer architecture, operating systems, and theory. Some programs may require you to complete prerequisite courses. For a PhD, the degree title matters even less than your preparation for research. Research experience, strong recommendation letters, relevant coursework, and evidence of your ability to do CS research will be important. So yes, you can be competitive, but it will depend heavily on the individual programs and how closely your coursework matches their requirements. I would look at the prerequisites for each program rather than ruling yourself out because your degree says BSIT. -
It would be helpful to hear from anyone who has received an interview invitation from Columbia’s MS Journalism program. If you have heard back, sharing roughly when you submitted your application and when you received the interview invite could give other applicants a better idea of the timeline. Hopefully, decisions and interview invitations are being sent out in batches, so not hearing back yet doesn’t necessarily mean anything negative.
-
Why is finding funded CS grad positions still so inefficient?
Laboni765 replied to Gradnova's topic in Computer Science
The funding timing seems like one of the biggest reasons the process feels inefficient. A student can have a strong research fit with a professor, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the professor has funding available when applications are open. I also think there’s a visibility problem. It’s difficult to know whether a faculty member is actively looking for students, especially when openings can depend on new grants or projects. A system that clearly showed active openings, research areas, funding status, and advisor interests could make the process much more targeted. Students would spend less time sending generic cold emails, while faculty might reach applicants who are a better research match. The challenge would probably be keeping that information current, since funding and availability can change quickly. -
MSc Computing Science - UAlberta 2024
Laboni765 replied to talismanic.888's topic in Computer Science
I think it’s still a bit early to read too much into the “under review” status, especially for a graduate program where applications can be reviewed in batches rather than strictly in submission order. If your application has been complete since December, I wouldn’t assume the lack of an update means anything negative. Decisions can depend on several things beyond the general admissions timeline, including supervisor availability and how the department handles funding and committee reviews. It would definitely be useful if other Fall 2024 applicants could share their timelines here, particularly: When they applied Whether their status changed from “under review” Whether they received an offer or rejection That would give everyone a clearer picture of how decisions are rolling out. Hopefully you’ll hear something soon, but at this stage the status alone probably doesn't tell you much. -
Do bad grades from years that dont count towards gpa matter
Laboni765 replied to bladeeFAN's topic in Applications
I wouldn’t say you’re delusional or wasting money by applying. Your profile has some clear strengths, especially the strong upward academic trend and the A/A+ grades in relevant areas like linear algebra, probability, optimisation, ML, and statistical inference. That said, I wouldn’t assume the earlier grades are completely irrelevant just because they aren’t included in your GPA. Some programs may review the full transcript, and a C in Matrix Algebra plus a failed Discrete Mathematics attempt could raise questions for mathematically intensive ML programs. The important part is that your later performance provides a strong counterargument: you clearly improved and performed very well in more advanced quantitative and ML courses. Your research record and FAANG experience also strengthen the application considerably. For programs this competitive, admission is never guaranteed, but I’d definitely apply if the application costs are reasonable. I’d treat the most selective schools as reaches rather than assuming your early grades automatically disqualify you. -
For theory, I’d put more weight on research fit and advisor availability than on overall department size or general prestige. A larger department like UT Austin can give you a broader selection of courses, students, and research areas, while a smaller program can sometimes make it easier to build a close relationship with a particular research group. I’d compare the faculty working in your specific area rather than judging “theory” as one category. Complexity, algorithms, cryptography, computational geometry, and related areas can have very different strengths. For an academic career, your advisor, research output, collaborations, and recommendation letters will generally matter much more than a small difference in overall university prestige. If you’re also considering industry later, both schools are strong enough that I wouldn’t make prestige the deciding factor. I’d look at where several faculty members match your interests and where current students seem to be getting the kind of research opportunities you want.
-
For the areas you mentioned, I’d probably lean toward Python. It is flexible for scientific computing and works well for data analysis, machine learning, and processing experimental data such as spectra. MATLAB can also be a good choice, especially if it is already used in your department or research group. Maple is particularly useful when symbolic mathematics is a major part of the work. For your interests, I’d choose based partly on what tools are commonly used by the researchers you want to work with. That can be more important than finding one language that is universally “best.”
-
How much does reputation of the grad program matter
Laboni765 replied to I like math and CS a lot's question in Questions and Answers
Yes, it is absolutely possible to build a research career from a mid-tier university. The university’s reputation can influence opportunities, especially for highly competitive academic positions, but it is not the only factor that matters. For a research-focused career, I would pay particular attention to the advisor and research environment. Working with a professor you already know, whose research genuinely interests you, can be a significant advantage if they are actively publishing and have strong collaborations. During a PhD, things such as quality of publications, research experience, conference participation, collaborations, and recommendation letters can become much more important than the name of the institution alone. I would not choose a program solely because it has a higher ranking if the research fit and mentorship are substantially worse. If your goal is to stay in research, having an advisor who can help you develop a strong research profile may be more valuable than choosing a more prestigious school with a poor fit. -
Given the $20k scholarship and the shorter program, Cornell seems like the stronger choice unless there is something specific about CMU's program that better matches your career goals. Both schools have strong names in computer science, so I would not put too much weight on the difference in overall rankings or general name recognition. For a professional master's, the more important questions are what courses you can take, the recruiting opportunities, and the total cost. The 16-month CMU program may give you more time to network and search for jobs, which is a real advantage. On the other hand, paying significantly more for those extra months only makes sense if you expect CMU's program, location, or recruiting network to provide opportunities you are unlikely to get at Cornell. I would compare the actual total cost and employment outcomes before deciding. If the career opportunities look similar, the Cornell scholarship is difficult to ignore.
-
Your profile looks like it is moving in a good direction, especially given that you still have time before applying. The strongest part is probably the research experience that connects directly to your stated interests. A few things I would focus on: Try to make your research experience as substantial as possible rather than collecting many short projects. A strong letter from a professor who knows your research work well can be more valuable than a letter based mainly on reputation. If the IoT project leads to a publication, that could strengthen your application, but I would not treat publication as the only measure of a successful research experience. Your GPA is something worth improving if possible, particularly in core CS and math courses. For research-focused graduate programs, the fit between your interests, experience, and the faculty you want to work with will also matter a lot. Your current profile seems to have a clear direction, so I would focus on building depth and being able to explain your research interests and contributions clearly.
-
I’m interested in getting into cybersecurity, but I’m still trying to figure out which area would be a good starting point. I’ve been looking into things like network security, cloud security, and penetration testing. They all seem interesting, but I’m not sure whether it’s better to explore a little of everything first or choose one area and build deeper skills there. For people who are already studying cybersecurity or working in the field, how did you decide which area to focus on? And are there any fundamentals you’d recommend learning before specializing? I’d appreciate hearing about your experiences and what you wish you had known when you were starting out.
-
If you are just starting, I would focus less on finding the “perfect” course and more on choosing one clear learning path. For general programming, Python is often a good starting point because the syntax is relatively easy to understand. If you are interested in websites, start with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The best course is usually one that includes practice and small projects rather than only video lectures. Try to build simple things as you learn, even if they are basic at first. It also helps to avoid jumping between several courses. Pick one beginner-friendly course, complete a reasonable section of it, and then decide what area of programming interests you most.
-
For an MPA, I'd put R and Python at the top of the list, but I wouldn't try to learn both at the same time. If your main goal is statistics, data analysis, and working with survey or policy data, I'd probably start with R. It has a strong focus on statistical analysis and data visualization, and you can do a lot without needing a heavy programming background. Python is also an excellent choice, especially if you're interested in broader data work, automation, or eventually working with machine learning. Libraries such as pandas and matplotlib make it useful beyond statistics. Before starting your program, I'd focus on learning basic programming concepts, data manipulation, visualization, and how to work with CSV files. You don't need to become an advanced programmer over the summer. Being comfortable cleaning a dataset, analyzing it, and creating a few useful visualizations will be much more valuable for an MPA.
-
I’d be careful with relying on exam dumps for a 2026 cybersecurity exam. Even if a dump claims to be “updated,” there’s no reliable way to know whether the questions are accurate or still reflect the current exam. A better approach is to work from the current exam objectives and use legitimate practice questions to identify weak areas. For cybersecurity exams especially, understanding why an answer is correct matters because questions can test the same concept in a different scenario. I’d focus on areas such as networking, security fundamentals, authentication, vulnerabilities, incident response, and whatever domains are listed in the current exam blueprint. If someone has recently passed the exam, their experience with the exam format, difficulty, and topic distribution would probably be much more useful than sharing recalled questions. Just make sure any study material you use is permitted by the exam provider.
-
I wouldn't make the decision based only on whether the university is online or local. I'd compare what you'll actually gain by transferring. Some questions I'd consider are: Will most of your completed credits transfer, or will you lose time and money? Is the local university significantly stronger in your field or better recognized by employers or graduate programs? Does it offer opportunities you can't get online, such as research, internships, networking, or campus recruiting? Can you realistically afford the additional costs, including tuition, housing, and commuting? If your online program is accredited, you're learning well, and you're already building relevant skills and experience, transferring may not provide enough benefit to justify the disruption. On the other hand, if the local university offers substantially better opportunities that align with your long-term goals, the move could be worthwhile. Without knowing the names of the universities, your major, and your career plans, it's difficult to say which option is the better choice.
-
Your profile looks competitive, especially for top 20 programs, and I think you have a realistic chance at some top 10 schools as well. Your strongest points are: A 4.0 master's in Applied Data Science. Strong quantitative skills with R, Python, Stata, and SQL. Research experience, including a thesis. Professional experience as a political data scientist. Research interests that align with quantitative political science and political economy. I would spend extra time tailoring each application to the department. Admissions committees want to see that your research interests closely match the faculty you hope to work with, and that your statement of purpose explains those connections clearly. I would also keep a balanced application list by including highly competitive programs alongside several strong alternatives. PhD admissions are often unpredictable, so applying to a range of programs usually improves your overall chances. Strong recommendation letters, a well-written statement of purpose, and a solid writing sample can make a meaningful difference.
-
Your profile looks stronger than you seem to believe. A 3.9+ GPA, multiple research experiences (including competitive REUs), graduate coursework, and strong research-oriented recommendation letters make you a competitive applicant for many of the schools you listed. I wouldn't remove schools like Brown, Duke, Rice, Northwestern, or JHU just because they feel intimidating. They are certainly reaches, but they're realistic reaches given your background. The biggest factor will probably be research fit and how well your statement explains your interests in optimization, statistical machine learning, and biomedical applications. The only suggestion I'd make is to balance the list a bit more. Adding a few solid mid-tier programs where your research interests are well represented can reduce the risk of a difficult admissions cycle. Admissions at this level are unpredictable, so having a mix of reaches, targets, and a handful of safer options is usually a better strategy than trying to predict where you're "good enough."
-
A Java developer's salary depends much more on your experience, location, and the type of company than on Java alone. Someone with strong knowledge of Java, Spring Boot, REST APIs, SQL, and version control like Git will generally have better opportunities than someone who only knows the language basics. For entry-level roles, salaries are naturally lower while you're building experience. Mid-level and senior developers often earn significantly more, especially if they work on cloud-based applications, distributed systems, or enterprise software. If you're trying to estimate what you could earn, it helps to mention: Your country or city Years of experience Whether you're targeting startups, large companies, or remote jobs Those details can make a huge difference in the expected salary range.
-
For systems, PL, databases, and architecture, the biggest boost usually comes from demonstrating sustained research in one area. If possible, turn one or two of your strongest projects (such as the OS, compiler, or DBMS) into publishable research or open-source work that others can evaluate. I'd also prioritize: Strong recommendation letters from researchers who know your work well. Publications in internationally recognized venues that are respected in your target subfield. A clear research narrative in your statement of purpose instead of listing many unrelated accomplishments. A balanced application list that includes a mix of reach, target, and safer programs. Admissions at top CS programs are heavily driven by research fit, so identifying faculty whose interests closely match yours can matter as much as another publication.
-
Why a Well-Structured Study Guide Is the Key to Exam Success
Laboni765 replied to pojiso5250's topic in Decisions, Decisions
A study guide is most effective when it encourages active learning rather than passive review. One of its biggest advantages is that creating it helps you identify the most important concepts and connect related ideas, making the material easier to understand and remember. Some practices that make a study guide more useful include: Organize topics into clear sections with meaningful headings. Explain concepts in your own words instead of copying definitions. Include practice questions or flashcards to encourage active recall. Review the guide over several sessions using spaced repetition instead of cramming. A well-designed study guide also makes it easier to spot gaps in your understanding before the exam. Instead of simply reading through information repeatedly, you spend your study time recalling, applying, and reinforcing key concepts, which generally leads to stronger long-term retention and greater confidence on exam day. -
Your trajectory is actually one of the strongest parts of your application. Admissions committees usually care about whether your recent work demonstrates that you can succeed in a mathematically rigorous PhD, and your MPH GPA, programming background, CDC experience, and upward trend all help tell that story. If I were prioritizing your remaining coursework, I'd focus on: Real Analysis (probably the single most valuable course) Probability Theory using a calculus-based text Mathematical Statistics Numerical Analysis (nice to have, but secondary) I would also try to get involved in a research project where you can apply statistical methodology rather than only programming. A strong letter from a faculty member who can speak to your mathematical maturity would likely carry significant weight. Finally, apply broadly. Your goals are ambitious, but having a balanced list of reach, target, and safer programs will give you more options without limiting your long-term opportunities.
-
Updated MD-102 Questions and Exam Topics Discussion
Laboni765 replied to Anthony Alonzo's topic in City Guide
Could you share the exact question or the specific point you want clarification on? The answer depends on what part of the MD-102 exam update you are asking about (for example, exam topics, removed areas, or preparation strategy). Without the original post details, it would be difficult to give accurate advice. If you paste the question text or the relevant comment here, I can help explain the topic and suggest what areas are worth focusing on.- 5 replies
-
- md-102 exam questions
- md-102 dumps pdf
- (and 1 more)
-
Your profile looks very strong overall, especially for Statistics. The combination of a 3.99 GPA, rigorous math/stat coursework, and several research experiences gives you a lot to work with. I also wouldn't worry too much about adding more coding courses; you already have Python, SAS, MATLAB/Simulink, and relevant modeling experience. The main thing I'd focus on is making your application tell a coherent research story. You have experience across forecasting, biomechanics, algebraic geometry, and NLP, which is impressive, but your SOP should explain how those experiences led you toward statistical learning or your other intended area. For schools, I wouldn't limit yourself to a particular ranking range. Build a balanced list and look closely at faculty whose current research genuinely matches your interests. Having several potential advisors at each program is more important than the school's overall ranking. Your profile seems competitive enough that I'd definitely include ambitious programs, but also keep a reasonable range of schools to account for the unpredictability of PhD admissions.
-
Gut check on what programs to apply to
Laboni765 replied to strws's question in Questions and Answers
I’d be happy to give a gut check, but I’d want to see the details of your profile and current list first. Things like your GPA, major, research experience, publications (if any), relevant work experience, and what kind of program you’re targeting can make a big difference. If you share the programs you’re considering, I’d look at whether the list has a reasonable mix of reach, target, and safer options rather than focusing only on rankings. I’d also consider fit with your research interests and whether individual faculty are actively working in your area. The biggest thing I’d avoid is applying based solely on a program’s overall reputation. For PhD applications especially, advisor fit and research alignment can matter more than small differences in ranking. -
M.S. in Cybersecurity to M.S. in Computer Science
Laboni765 replied to risingcodeninja's topic in Computer Science
I think Dubai’s tech growth is interesting because it’s not just about adopting the latest technology, but also about building an environment where companies can actually use it effectively. Areas like AI, cloud computing, fintech, and smart infrastructure are creating more demand for skilled software developers. The international nature of Dubai also seems to be an advantage, since companies can bring together talent and ideas from different markets. At the same time, long-term success will depend on developing strong local technical talent and maintaining good engineering practices as the industry grows. It will be interesting to see whether Dubai can turn this rapid investment in technology into a sustainable ecosystem for startups and established companies alike.
