EverThinker Posted July 13 Posted July 13 Hi! I am currently pursuing a degree in Software Engineering at Western Governor’s University. Right now I have 42 credits from sophia.com towards my degree. I want to pursue a PhD in Computer Science or Computer engineering, with a focus on Computer Architecture, Computer Vision, or Reinforcement Learning. I’ve taken courses at my local uni before, but took too many courses at once and became overwhelmed when I found out I was losing my scholarship (Moved 17 min into the bordering state). Anyway, I recently joined the Ga Air National Guard and can go back to school for free, but I would lose my 39 of my credits and essentially be starting from scratch. If I did that I would go to my CC for a year then transfer my local university for their Pre-Engineering program, they’re T100 for CS research. With the Pre-Engineering program I could transfer to Georgia Tech through REPP or UGA for Computer Engineering. Is it worth it to transfer or should I just stay at WGU get a job after I graduate in defense, then pursue a masters or multiple masters to get research then apply to a PhD program. I have the Service Cancellable Loan and the Gi Bill to help me cover my degrees. Any advice would be appreciated.
Maya Reyes Posted July 20 Posted July 20 I would not make this decision based only on whether WGU is online or whether the local university is ranked in the top 100. The more useful question is which path gives you the preparation that a research-focused PhD application will actually need. WGU is an accredited university, and finishing there could be the fastest route to a bachelor’s degree and a job. The potential weakness for your specific goal is not the legitimacy of the degree. It is that areas like computer architecture, computer vision, and reinforcement learning usually require strong math and theory courses, research experience, and detailed letters from faculty who know your work. Those things can be harder to build in a competency-based online program unless you create them elsewhere. The local route may be worth the lost credits if it gives you real access to research labs, upper-level math and CS courses, faculty relationships, and a clear engineering transfer pathway. But I would verify all of that before giving up 39 credits. Get a written transfer-credit evaluation, confirm that your community college is an eligible pathway institution, and check the current course and GPA requirements. Completing a pathway does not necessarily guarantee admission. I would also avoid planning on “multiple master’s degrees.” One research-oriented master’s with a thesis, strong letters, and meaningful research would usually help more than several course-only degrees. If I were deciding, I would compare two concrete plans: time to graduation, out-of-pocket cost, access to research, required math courses, and who could eventually write strong letters. Good luck! EverThinker 1
Laboni765 Posted August 10 Posted August 10 I wouldn't make the decision based only on whether the university is online or local. I'd compare what you'll actually gain by transferring. Some questions I'd consider are: Will most of your completed credits transfer, or will you lose time and money? Is the local university significantly stronger in your field or better recognized by employers or graduate programs? Does it offer opportunities you can't get online, such as research, internships, networking, or campus recruiting? Can you realistically afford the additional costs, including tuition, housing, and commuting? If your online program is accredited, you're learning well, and you're already building relevant skills and experience, transferring may not provide enough benefit to justify the disruption. On the other hand, if the local university offers substantially better opportunities that align with your long-term goals, the move could be worthwhile. Without knowing the names of the universities, your major, and your career plans, it's difficult to say which option is the better choice.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now