UCLA or UCBerkeley PhD Finance

fel

I got accepted at UCLA-Anderson SM for PhD Finance and at UCBerkeley Haas BS for PhD Finance and Real Estate

What program has a better research projection?

Which one would you choose?

• 10 months later...

How did UCLA let you know? Email/phone call/website/post/other??

My understanding is that UC Berkeley is the top UC school and UCLA is #2. Thus, unless there is a significant difference in the admission packages or personal prefs, UC:B would be the better choice. Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

I would tell you to definitely go with Berkeley. The reason is that Berkeley has devoted significant resources to its Economics program and the Haas School of Business. As a result, these programs have become the flagships of the university. In particular, Haas has a strong international business focus and a good placement record. I think that both schools have great resources for their respective business schools, but I highly doubt that you could top the resources that Berkeley will make available to you in and out of the classroom (including Silicon Valley and the Financial District).

Although UCLA is a fantastic school in general, the Anderson School of Management is not in the same league as the top business schools like Haas.

The one thing you may want to consider though is the major differences between the two cities. L.A. and San Fran considerably different from one another. I can tell you from my own experiences living in both cities that you may want to take that into consideration. Of course this shouldn't completely sway your decision, but since you will be there for a while, you should consider it.

• 9 months later...

I got accepted at UCLA-Anderson SM for PhD Finance and at UCBerkeley Haas BS for PhD Finance and Real Estate

What program has a better research projection?

Which one would you choose?

What is your specialization going to be? UCLA has a good reputation for stuff like portfolio management but if you're going to do financial econometrics or asset pricing then it's a different proposition.

• 2 months later...