Higher Ed Admin : Best Average Salary??

Scheacc

Hi

I am an engineer from India. I am switching to Higher Education Administration field.

I will be applying for Fall 2012 course.

I have started preparing for the applications etc.

Before I send applications, it is crucial for me to:

• Select min number of graduate schools so as to save on application costs
  • Select the programme from an education school that has highest AVERAGE salary & highest placement rate
    To be precise:
    • My acads are above average
    • My applications would be quite good and promising, I anticipate it.
    • I will be applying for Master's programme in Higher Education Administration.

Please suggest at least 10 best options :)

Thanks!

Hi

I am an engineer from India. I am switching to Higher Education Administration field.

I will be applying for Fall 2012 course.

I have started preparing for the applications etc.

Before I send applications, it is crucial for me to:

• Select min number of graduate schools so as to save on application costs
  • Select the programme from an education school that has highest AVERAGE salary & highest placement rate
    To be precise:
    • My acads are above average
    • My applications would be quite good and promising, I anticipate it.
    • I will be applying for Master's programme in Higher Education Administration.

Please suggest at least 10 best options :)

Thanks!

I just assumed that I would be poor forever by choosing education as my career path =\

That being said, you probably just want to go for the biggest name schools because of networks. I would imagine you want one of the following:

UCLA

UT Austin

Harvard

Vanderbilt

Johns Hopkins

Berkeley

Columbia

Penn

I'm not sure if they all have the program you want, but any of those schools will have huge networks with lots of connections, often equating to higher salary.

Hope that helps!

Hey Thanks a lot...

• I also understand that this is not indeed a very high paying field.
  • Still, I want to make sure I get the highest possible one.

May I please know if you provided names based on any statistical data or experience?

I could not find exact average salary on university websites.. nor did Google help :P

Please be specific to Higher Ed Admin, if you can.

More concrete replies, anybody?

Hey Thanks a lot...

• I also understand that this is not indeed a very high paying field.
  • Still, I want to make sure I get the highest possible one.

May I please know if you provided names based on any statistical data or experience?

I could not find exact average salary on university websites.. nor did Google help :P

Please be specific to Higher Ed Admin, if you can.

More concrete replies, anybody?

In my experience, average salaries for a person with a Master's in Higher Education in an entry level job in either student services or academic affairs is around 40 - 45 K. This also depends on where you hope to live-- those averages are for living in cities with a high cost of living. For places with a lower cost of living, you might be looking at under 40K for your salary. What do you want to do with the degree?

If you are interested in education research, data, and statistics, you might be able to do better-- 45 - 50K+ for entry level jobs depending on your experience.

The Chronicle of Higher Education has salaries for staff members at universities by field. The link is here: http://chronicle.com...Midlevel/64750/ (This one is for mid-level staff members, but I am sure you can find other information using the search feature.)

I never seen data on average starting salaries by higher ed master's programs-- but you can ask specific programs that you are interesting in attending what the starting salary of their graduates are.

Also, higher ed programs can be so different from each other. Some are more research focused and are interested in developing researchers and policy-makers; Others really focus on practical experiences and creating higher ed practitioners. It would be hard to suggest schools without knowing what you hope to get out of a program.

Edit: Found another one for senior level positions. It will give you an idea of what the projected salary path is for the position you desire. Although you might need a PhD to get some of these positions (and of course many years of experience).

http://chronicle.com...f-Senior/64289/

Another Edit (ha!): All of these positions are not available to you. Some of these are faculty positions-- I would focus on academic affairs, student affairs, business/admin affairs, and external affairs.

Edited by ZeChocMoose