Rutgers MBA or NYU Integrated Marketing Masters Program

fstep

i got into both the rutgers mba program (ranked 57th which isn't great but 3rd in the tri-state area which's where i wanna work and good with job placement) and the masters in integrated marketing program at nyu (the degree itself is less reputable than mba ofcourse but nyu has a better brand name for sure)

my experience to date is 12 years of running a mid size marketing business which has hit some hard times so i'm looking to get a masters degree and go to work for a large company in the marketing department while keeping my business on the side.

i would love to live and work in nyc so i figure nyu as a school is the better choice/brand name but i also know an mba does have a bit better reputation as a grad degree. i did my undergrad at rutgers by the way in a hr related field.

thoughts?

It honestly depends on which Rutgers MBA (Camden, Newark, New Brunswick). It also depends on how ambitious you are in finding your own opportunities after graduation, as my impression is a lot of the Rutgers recruiting is with financial, and pharmaceutical companies. ( It could be different for MBA but that was the general impression I got from career fairs at Rutgers New Brunswick when I was there as an undergrad in a different field. )

An MBA would likely be very helpful for your own business, and running that as it is a large focus on general business. As for a large company I would say the NYU program would be better due to the reputation, and possible resources at its career service department. Since by going to Rutgers for the MBA won't help you get additional career resource help as I believe Rutgers alumni can use some of the Rutgers career services.

Plus with the concentration of really good MBA programs in the greater NYC area (Philly, Boston, NYC) I do not think Rutgers rank wise competes with the individuals competing for jobs in the NYC area. So I would consider your reasons for wanting to get the degree in your decision as I think Rutgers low comparative rank to the area does not make up for the slight impression of prestige that an MBA has over a Marketing masters degree. As NYU due to its rank probably has better employers recruiting there presenting more opportunities with employment with large companies if that is your goal. Plus you have 12 years of experience with running a marketing business which I would suspect has taught you more about business than an MBA ever could.

Good Luck.

Edited by queller

It honestly depends on which Rutgers MBA (Camden, Newark, New Brunswick). It also depends on how ambitious you are in finding your own opportunities after graduation, as my impression is a lot of the Rutgers recruiting is with financial, and pharmaceutical companies. ( It could be different for MBA but that was the general impression I got from career fairs at Rutgers New Brunswick when I was there as an undergrad in a different field. )

An MBA would likely be very helpful for your own business, and running that as it is a large focus on general business. As for a large company I would say the NYU program would be better due to the reputation, and possible resources at its career service department. Since by going to Rutgers for the MBA won't help you get additional career resource help as I believe Rutgers alumni can use some of the Rutgers career services.

Plus with the concentration of really good MBA programs in the greater NYC area (Philly, Boston, NYC) I do not think Rutgers rank wise competes with the individuals competing for jobs in the NYC area. So I would consider your reasons for wanting to get the degree in your decision as I think Rutgers low comparative rank to the area does not make up for the slight impression of prestige that an MBA has over a Marketing masters degree. As NYU due to its rank probably has better employers recruiting there presenting more opportunities with employment with large companies if that is your goal. Plus you have 12 years of experience with running a marketing business which I would suspect has taught you more about business than an MBA ever could.

Good Luck.

well the nyu program does not offer career placement. the rutgers mba is in newark, they're just starting it on new brunswick campus next semester but it's the same on the diploma, not like undergrad where going to nb is more prestigious.

rutgers mba ranks 3rd in the metropolitan area as far as i know. i'm not looking to further my business at this point as my main advertising methods have been over regulated to where i just can't recover, i'll probably sell 2/3 of it when i'm done with school and run the rest on the side so main goal right now is to get a job with a big company. please note the nyu program is part of the school of continuing and professional studies which in the nyu community is not really ranked very high but to the outside world nyu is nyu...

i know rutgers job placement from the mba is like 17th in the nation, even last year some 85% were hired within 90 days of graduation and the salaries were pretty good. with nyu though i know i would be much better in the program since it's less quantitative which is not my strength. how much do graduate school grades matter in marketing anyway?

That is interesting that Rutgers doesn't specify campus on the MBA degrees, good to know.

I would investigate the places and positions the people at the Rutgers program were placed in job wise. If these are jobs you are interested in then the MBA program may be best for you due to the placement rate it has, which was more impressive than I was expecting. Also the concentration of course in the Rutgers Marketing concentration may be comparable to a continuing education program at NYU. Also check if the NYU continuing education degree says that on the diploma when you graduate. Which one is better for your situation could come down to placements at the Rutgers program vs the focus of knowledge the NYU program could provide in marketing. Good luck in making your choice.

I always assume to some degree grades always manner. Mostly as many employers use them as cut-offs and base compensation off of them. So either way I would be sure to keep your GPA above 3.5 in a masters program of any type. Which is especially important as even if Rutgers is ranked 3rd in the area, the area is not what you will be competing with in the NYC job market.