MFA Graphic Design

robobabycrusher

Congrats! I also was accepted into SVA. Let me know where you decide to go.

Got news today by snail mail. SVA, accepted!

MFA GD

RISD - Interviewed - Accepted

MICA - Interviewed

CALARTS - Interviewed - Accepted

SVA - Interviewed - Accepted

Yale - Rejected

Anyone have any thoughts.. good of bad about RIT vs Parsons. I can't decide, I am so torn!

RIT is appx 60K for the entire program. (including living) It's only 4 quarters long.. which is like 1.5 years. Program; Graphic Design

NYC, NY

Parasons is appx 120k for the entire program. (including living). It's two years long. Program; Design and Technology.

Rochester, NY

Anyone have any thoughts.. good of bad about RIT vs Parsons. I can't decide, I am so torn!

RIT is appx 60K for the entire program. (including living) It's only 4 quarters long.. which is like 1.5 years. Program; Graphic Design

NYC, NY

Parasons is appx 120k for the entire program. (including living). It's two years long. Program; Design and Technology.

Rochester, NY

designr, didn't you mix up the location of these programs? Anyhow, yeah manhattan is expensive!! It's also perfectly legit (and cool) to live in brooklyn ;) But otherwise, it seems to be two pretty different programs, in terms of where it might lead you and the type of discourse, I think that'll ultimately help you decide. Feel free to share what niche/industry i.e design firm or new media artist you'd like to see yourself and maybe that'll help yourself and others reach a decision.

Got news yesterday by email. MICA, accepted!

MFA GD

MICA - Interviewed - Accepted

Yale - Rejected

CONGRATS!!! What a hard decision to make!!

Got news yesterday by email. MICA, accepted!

MFA GD

MICA - Interviewed - Accepted

Yale - Rejected

Thanks Shaubu.. yes, looks like I accidentally mixed them up. Yes, Manhattan is awesome.. but crazy expensive to live.. I was definitely thinking to live 15-20 mins away somewhere more affordable, maybe Astoria or something.

I'm basically a classic print designer, with am emphasis on new materials and the interactivity of the final piece. I really like to design pieces that you can touch & feel and play and interact with. I like to introduce non-traditional items/pieces/materials to design. Which is why I really liked the idea of Parsons.. because it sounds like it's right up my ally.. except for the fact they they use technology. I think it's a similar concept of what I enjoy doing, but with technology.

I really wanted to get my MFA to have more options.. I currently teach as an adjunct professor at a local university and I love it.. so I would like to teach, but I also enjoy working and producing in the field. So I think Parsons would give me both of those angles, plus connections.

BUT on the other hand. I love traditional print design and would love to be able to teach full time at a university.. and, if that's all I want, then I could easily go to RIT and be happy.

IF it didn't have anything to do with $$, I would say Parsons hands down. But I'm not sure what to do... they definitely seem to really like me and I really want to ask them for $$, but not sure how to go about it. =/

designr, didn't you mix up the location of these programs? Anyhow, yeah manhattan is expensive!! It's also perfectly legit (and cool) to live in brooklyn ;) But otherwise, it seems to be two pretty different programs, in terms of where it might lead you and the type of discourse, I think that'll ultimately help you decide. Feel free to share what niche/industry i.e design firm or new media artist you'd like to see yourself and maybe that'll help yourself and others reach a decision.

Thanks Shaubu.. yes, looks like I accidentally mixed them up. Yes, Manhattan is awesome.. but crazy expensive to live.. I was definitely thinking to live 15-20 mins away somewhere more affordable, maybe Astoria or something.

I'm basically a classic print designer, with am emphasis on new materials and the interactivity of the final piece. I really like to design pieces that you can touch & feel and play and interact with. I like to introduce non-traditional items/pieces/materials to design. Which is why I really liked the idea of Parsons.. because it sounds like it's right up my ally.. except for the fact they they use technology. I think it's a similar concept of what I enjoy doing, but with technology.

I really wanted to get my MFA to have more options.. I currently teach as an adjunct professor at a local university and I love it.. so I would like to teach, but I also enjoy working and producing in the field. So I think Parsons would give me both of those angles, plus connections.

BUT on the other hand. I love traditional print design and would love to be able to teach full time at a university.. and, if that's all I want, then I could easily go to RIT and be happy.

IF it didn't have anything to do with $, I would say Parsons hands down. But I'm not sure what to do... they definitely seem to really like me and I really want to ask them for $, but not sure how to go about it. =/

Yeah, Astoria is nice, I have friends that commute from there as well. Hm, to me if your goal is teaching, I wonder if you'd have more chance to TA at RIT. But more importantly, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the Parson DT methodology more focused on self-authored artistic discipline - using technology, as in most people want to pursue careers in new media art/industry and less design firms/advertising? I can still see how from what you described in your practice where you'd want to push the boundaries in medium and interactivity within design would still be an unique asset to pursue in DT, but I would imagine the climate of the program would be focusing on very different questions than maybe what you mentioned as what you'd like to teach in the future - "traditional print design".

Please hear me, I'm not making a judgement call, I think they are both great programs, I'm just basing my opinion on what you mentioned as your future aspirations. GL!

Oh no, thank you for your input.

I mean, I want the opportunity to teach... not necessarily traditional print design.

I think they are great programs as well. CCA is another one I got into that is still in the running. But I am definitely 90% sure about going to Parsons. But you know how it is.. so hard to be sure sometimes.

Yeah, Astoria is nice, I have friends that commute from there as well. Hm, to me if your goal is teaching, I wonder if you'd have more chance to TA at RIT. But more importantly, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the Parson DT methodology more focused on self-authored artistic discipline - using technology, as in most people want to pursue careers in new media art/industry and less design firms/advertising? I can still see how from what you described in your practice where you'd want to push the boundaries in medium and interactivity within design would still be an unique asset to pursue in DT, but I would imagine the climate of the program would be focusing on very different questions than maybe what you mentioned as what you'd like to teach in the future - "traditional print design".

Please hear me, I'm not making a judgement call, I think they are both great programs, I'm just basing my opinion on what you mentioned as your future aspirations. GL!

Oh no, thank you for your input.

I mean, I want the opportunity to teach... not necessarily traditional print design.

I think they are great programs as well. CCA is another one I got into that is still in the running. But I am definitely 90% sure about going to Parsons. But you know how it is.. so hard to be sure sometimes.

hahahaha yeah I TOOOTAALLYYY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT - that 10% is way KILLER! Way more significant than people who are not going through the process can imagine. If it's any consolation, AFTER you wait it all out and eventually go with your gut choice and make a commitment, it's the most liberating and affirming experience, EVER! Trust me.

I'm on the wait list for Yale. Patiently waiting, they seemed really excited with my work so I hope I can get a spot.

This whole process has been a lot of work and stress since around November.

• 10 months later...

Congrats to all!!

All of you have gotten great offers!! That's so exciting!!

I am hoping to apply this coming winter (entrance yr would be 2013) and was wondering if I could look at your online portfolios if you have one. I want to see if applying this coming winter will be even plausible or if I'll be an adequate candidate. Any advice on preparing a portfolio, application process, or anything like that you found helpful would be greatly appreciated!! Please feel free to PM me with the information. Thank you and best of luck to you all!! :)