MFA Graphic Design

robobabycrusher

Got a call last week accepting me into SCAD's MFA in Graphic Design program plus $10k/year scholarship. I noticed not many people were applying to SCAD in any discipline. Is that school frowned upon? Is it the cost?

Also applied:

SCAD

VCU

MICA

OU (univ. of oklahoma)

FHSU

I would LOVE to go to SCAD, but I didn't apply because they don't offer enough funding.

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the school. I've only heard good things.

Interviewed last week for Tyler's Graphic and Interactive Design (GAID) program. Interview this weekend for MICA's Illustration Practice program (not design, but perhaps relevant to someone scoping out this forum).

Good luck to everyone with their interviews! When are MICA's Graphic Design interviews taking place (just curious)?

They offered Skype interviews and/or in-person interviews on 2/18, 2/25, and 3/4.

Congratulations! Did you do an interview before your acceptance? Is that where you're planning on attending? Once again, congrats!

Thanks so much! Yes, I interviewed over the phone last week and it went really well. Tyler is certainly at the top of my list, but I won't make a decision until I hear back from everywhere (need to see how the financial aid works out too).

Congrats and good luck at your MICA interview! I know someone else interviewing for the program too–she's super excited by the prospect of working with Ellen Lupton. Sounds like a great program.

Thanks so much! Yes, I interviewed over the phone last week and it went really well. Tyler is certainly at the top of my list, but I won't make a decision until I hear back from everywhere (need to see how the financial aid works out too).

Congrats and good luck at your MICA interview! I know someone else interviewing for the program too–she's super excited by the prospect of working with Ellen Lupton. Sounds like a great program.

That's wonderful. Tyler is a great school!

I'm tired of the waiting game! It must be nice to know that you at least have that as an option before you hear back from the other schools. Did Tyler offer you a financial aid package or does that come later on?

I'm pretty sure I'll find out about aid later. The department head had discussed assistantships with me–no promises or anything–but they're definitely available and include tuition remission + stipend. Hopefully I'll hear more on that soon. And yes–HUGE relief! Even though it's still pretty early (hardly mid-February), waiting is driving me crazy!! I'd even be happy getting rejections just so I can cross things off my list!

Where else are you applying?

I see. I was always curious to know if financial aid packages are offered upfront.

I know what you mean about getting rejections. Any response is good at this point, with all of the waiting and considering that's taking over our lives at this point... Sheesh!

I only applied to two other schools: University of Washington and SAIC. UW will probably take longer to respond, since their deadline was almost a month later than SAIC's. I've been browsing the threads looking for indication of when I should expect to hear from SAIC and couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard from them or know when they typically respond? Anyone else apply to their Visual Communication Design (Studio Art) MFA program?

Anyway, @hullo congrats again on your acceptance to Tyler! Although I don't personally know you, I'm very happy for you! :)

I think some schools do offer aid packages up front, but, as with everything, it varies. If I've learned anything from this process it's that there's no continuity or predictability among schools!

And thanks again, @presson. Lots of luck (and patience :) ) with your UW and SAIC applications. Be sure to post how everything turns out!

Thanks so much for the well wishes and for sharing insight from your experiences! I'll certainly post the results. Hoping others do the same as well!

Interviewed at MICA yesterday, heard back today–I'm in!! That means a yes for Tyler and MICA and still waiting on everything else, but they're my top two, so I feel pretty much done. Well...except now I need to scrounge for money, scholarships, etc...

@hullo congrats!!

Interviewed at MICA yesterday, heard back today–I'm in!! That means a yes for Tyler and MICA and still waiting on everything else, but they're my top two, so I feel pretty much done. Well...except now I need to scrounge for money, scholarships, etc...

Whoo. Congrats on MICA! I applied for the graphic design program but no word at all so far. I sense a rejection heading quickly towards my inbox. Ughhh. I was just reading a book with a foreward by Ellen Lupton, and all I could do when I opened it was squint at her name and say "WHY....."

Hey All,

Pratt/ MFA Communications Design - Interviewed

MICA - Interview end of February

Haven't heard from:

Yale

Tyler

RISD

SVA

Parsons

(All Design programs)

Anyone else hear from any of these?

Yale notifications were emailed last Friday (2/4) - just log in to your application for results. I think RISD decisions come out later in the month (I didn't apply there) - not sure about the others. Good luck!

Pratt/ MFA Communications Design - Interviewed 2/17

MICA / Illustration MFA - Accepted

Radio silence from:

RISD / 3-yr Graphic Design MFA

SVA / Illustration MFA

Hey All,

Pratt/ MFA Communications Design - Interviewed

MICA - Interview end of February

Haven't heard from:

Yale

Tyler

RISD

SVA

Parsons

(All Design programs)

Anyone else hear from any of these?

Thanks Hullo! It was a complete shock, since I was looking to be interviewed if anything. I wasn't offered funding, so I'm hoping that there's more info on the way after FAFSA stuff finds it to them. Does anyone know how that works?

Congrats!!! That's wonderful!