Importance of the current student social

sbowman

My top choice PhD program has invited me out for an extensive open house. They asked me to be prepared to be on campus by Wednesday morning for two days of interviews and presentations, but mentioned that there would be an optional social hosted by current students on Tuesday night.

Initially, I had no plans to attend the social. I have met a couple of current students already, and my class schedule at my current University conflicted—I would have to have missed two consecutive meetings of a grad-level class to make it.

I'm reconsidering, and I'm curious what experiences people have had with these. It sounds fun, but it also sounds like a good chance to get familiar with the terminology, attitude and daily workings of the department before the interviews, which could be a pretty valuable help in being able to ask the right questions and avoid showing off any possible incompatibility to the faculty.

Also, as an aside, I've heard only vague mumblings about this: They know that I am interviewing at a couple of other programs that look like perfect fits for me on paper, there any danger in saying explicitly (and honestly) that their program is my unequivocal first choice?

My top choice PhD program has invited me out for an extensive open house. They asked me to be prepared to be on campus by Wednesday morning for two days of interviews and presentations, but mentioned that there would be an optional social hosted by current students on Tuesday night.

Initially, I had no plans to attend the social. I have met a couple of current students already, and my class schedule at my current University conflicted—I would have to have missed two consecutive meetings of a grad-level class to make it.

I'm reconsidering, and I'm curious what experiences people have had with these. It sounds fun, but it also sounds like a good chance to get familiar with the terminology, attitude and daily workings of the department before the interviews, which could be a pretty valuable help in being able to ask the right questions and avoid showing off any possible incompatibility to the faculty.

Also, as an aside, I've heard only vague mumblings about this: They know that I am interviewing at a couple of other programs that look like perfect fits for me on paper, there any danger in saying explicitly (and honestly) that their program is my unequivocal first choice?

If it is your unequivocal top choice, get your butt to the social. You'll value the time for questions. Also, it will give you an opportunity to get your bearings a little before the interviews. Your current profs will understand.

As for telling them it's your top choice? I did. I was *very* clear at the interview that this was where I want(ed) to be. It worked. In *any* case, assuming it's true, it will not hurt you. So go for it!

And hey, congratulations!

These will be your peers. They have been where you are and know what you're thinking and the questions you have. I am a firm believer in the "OTHER" education. The social connections you make can become important networking contacts later. Do it.

I recommend you go to all the activities, even if not mandatory, if you can. It's helpful to talk to the grad students to get a feel what the environment in the department is, the style of your potential future advisor etc. Also, in my case, the social dinner with the grad students was the first event at my first interview (the night before the actual interviews) and it helped ease my anxiety about the whole process-- I saw that they are just normal people and that made me feel at ease. But I will warn you, all these events back to back get draining after a while.

I booked a flight so that I'll be there for all of it. Thanks, all.

Hopefully if we all get along for two and a half straight days, we can get along intermittently for a few years.