U Washington Results

newms

Many of the people that received notifications from UWashington today say that 8% of 11200 applicants were accepted. When I first saw it I thought the poster meant 1200 applicants. But many people have since repeated it. Could UWashington really have received 11200 applicants? I'm wondering if maybe there was a typo in the batch email because 8% of 11200 is almost 900 admits. Surely those numbers must be wrong right? I think MIT had 2700 applicants last year.

Edit: Oh, it's for the entire grad school.

On 2/4/2011 at 10:04 PM, newms said:

Many of the people that received notifications from UWashington today say that 8% of 11200 applicants were accepted. When I first saw it I thought the poster meant 1200 applicants. But many people have since repeated it. Could UWashington really have received 11200 applicants? I'm wondering if maybe there was a typo in the batch email because 8% of 11200 is almost 900 admits. Surely those numbers must be wrong right? I think MIT had 2700 applicants last year.

I'd say it is definitely wrong,... it is just not possible ? so it is probably 1120 or 1200

i got the rejection email today too. it actually does say 1,1200. i think you're right--it's just a typo in the email and 1200 is probably the correct number

Here's the quote from the rejection e-mail:

"We received 1,1200+ applications this year and were able to admit about 8%."

Probably a typo. Bummer for the rejection though...