"I want to study with Professor Y", how much mention of Professor Y should be in?

*Note: This forum is really great for passing time while waiting to hear back from schools. ^_^*

*2nd note: I say Professor Y because I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to join the X-Men. ;)*

So for me, the reason I want to go to my dream school is because there is a professor there whose work I am a big fan of, and obviously I would like to study with him. I actually emailed him back in the Fall and inquired about attending his institution, and he said he would be happy to have me as a student, but I'm not so sure how much that will really help in the application process.

Anyways, in my SOP I made a fair amount of references to the professor in general, and really drove home the point that I'm a big fan of his books and that I was actually inspired to pursue a PhD through them, and I even referenced an article he wrote later on in the SOP. But now I'm wondering if maybe I went a bit overboard. I'm kind of afraid it may have seemed like I was sucking up to get into his program, What do you guys think?

My professor at my institution said I shouldn't be TOO specific or only be willing to work with only one person. He told me that students like that were dangerous to departments because they are not flexible enough. It's not really that they think you are sucking up, but just that since you are only willing to work with him what if he loses funding? What if your interests change? What if he takes another student? etc etc. A lot of places have lab rotations regardless if you said you only want to work with one person.

I do think you probably went a bit too overboard based on the advice my professors told me, but if the rest of your application is very strong then you still are okay. Also, unless that professor is on the admissions committee it wont help you too much that he said he wanted to take you in.

Edited by SuperPiePie

I was told that it's good to have a Prof on your side who's willing to take you as a student. However, you must still be evaluated against all of the other applicants in the program who may or may not want to work with the same Professor Y. It's nice that you know who you want to work with, but perhaps you should also outline secondary interests or that you admire the works of second professor in that program. <-- If that's true of course. Essentially, I agree with SuperPiePie. You seem to have written alot, but maybe it was only a paragraph? I also wrote a pretty long paragraph about the two professors that I'd like to work with.

*Note: This forum is really great for passing time while waiting to hear back from schools. ^_^*

*2nd note: I say Professor Y because I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to join the X-Men. ;)*

So for me, the reason I want to go to my dream school is because there is a professor there whose work I am a big fan of, and obviously I would like to study with him. I actually emailed him back in the Fall and inquired about attending his institution, and he said he would be happy to have me as a student, but I'm not so sure how much that will really help in the application process.

Anyways, in my SOP I made a fair amount of references to the professor in general, and really drove home the point that I'm a big fan of his books and that I was actually inspired to pursue a PhD through them, and I even referenced an article he wrote later on in the SOP. But now I'm wondering if maybe I went a bit overboard. I'm kind of afraid it may have seemed like I was sucking up to get into his program, What do you guys think?

I wouldn't worry if I were you. I think being as specific as possible about your fit with the program, and in particular, a professor is always a good thing. Mentioning second and third interests is good (I did this in the context of writing about how I'd utilize specific aspects of each professors work in my own, and my impact on their work) but, for better or worse, you still need your primary professor to endorse the application. Might as well be as specific as possible, especially since you already contacted him.