Evaluate My Profile for PhD for Fall 2012 Applications

CanuckBoy

Hey everyone, I know it's early but I'm curious on what I need to improve to increase my odds at the schools I'm applying to. My focus is on fluid mechanics, mainly CFD. If you can help that'll be great! Thanks! :D

Undergrad Institution: Top undergraduate Canadian engineering school

Major(s): Mechanical

Minor(s):

GPA in Major:

Overall GPA: 3.79/4.0

Length of Degree: 5 years due to co-op program

Position in Class: Near top

Type of Student: Domestic

Graduate Institution: Same, second in Canada for engineering research

Major(s): Mechanical

Minor(s):

GPA in Major:

Overall GPA: 4.0/4.0

Length of Degree: 2 years

Position in Class: Top

Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores: (Taking it in June)

Research Experience:

- Published journal paper during undergrad, not in field of current research, 2nd author of 4.

- Publishing another journal paper being 2nd author of 3.

- Publishing a conference paper in May, 2nd author of 3.

- Working on another journal paper either 1st or 2nd author, should be in time before applications

- Worked for a year in R&D lab in a large multi-national company doing heat transfer analysis after undergrad.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

- NSERC Canadian Graduate Scholarship (National)

- Institutional graduate scholarship

- Various scholarships during undergrad

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- TA

- Various work experiences during undergrad

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Considering applying for PhD at:

MIT - Mechanical

Berkeley - Mechanical

Stanford - Mechanical

Stanford - Energy Resources Engineering (closely related to current research)

Georgia Tech - Aerospace

Michigan - Aerospace

Johns Hopkins - Mechanical

Penn State - Energy and Mineral Engineering (closely related to current research)

Am I limited to area(s) of research which I have experiences in? Do I have best chance of admission if I stay in my current area? What can I do to increase my odds at these institutions since I have until December of this year to strengthen my profile. I am confident that at least 2 of my LORs will be very strong.

Edited by JimMech

Do I have best chance of admission if I stay in my current area?

Perhaps, in the sense that you will likely be more able to compellingly explain 'why program X at school Y' if you have directly relevant research experience. However, I think a more important question is would you be happy working in your current area of research for the duration of a PhD program and beyond? Ultimately, you want a fulfilling experience, not just admission.

Perhaps, in the sense that you will likely be more able to compellingly explain 'why program X at school Y' if you have directly relevant research experience. However, I think a more important question is would you be happy working in your current area of research for the duration of a PhD program and beyond? Ultimately, you want a fulfilling experience, not just admission.

Thanks Addison, I agree with you completely.

I am quite happy working in my current area and I would love to continue in this field. My area is multidisciplinary, cross between CFD from mechanical engineering and earth sciences. I have found Stanford ERE and Penn State fits my current research area very well. Stanford ERE is indeed my first choice.

My intentions are to become a faculty member, hopefully back in Canada, in which my current area is not well funded at the moment. If my current research area does not work out from a long term perspective, I still would like to have an option to stay in fluids field from engineering prospective which are offered at the other schools I'm interested in for PhD.

What do you think?

Edited by CanuckBoy

• 2 weeks later...

Um, I tend to think with your credentials you will get into almost all of those places if not every single one of them. I applied for this fall and got into both Gatech, and Berkeley with funding. I have about 6 months undergrad research in CFD and applied for thermofluids areas at both schools. Your resume is EXPONENTIALLY better than mine. My GRE is mediocre at best 570/770, I have zero publications. My GPA is my only real strong point, 3.94, but consider too that it is from an unranked university with a poor but ABET accredited engineering college. Frankly, if I was applying alongside candidates like you, I don't know what the hell I am doing at schools like these. You will get in, everywhere. The stars were clearly on my side.