Anyone heard from Duke Sanford Public Policy PhD?

2011fall

just found out that someone from 'result' got email interview by PhD of public policy from Duke Sanford on 26 January (or 23 Jan??)........but i did not.....is this a bad sign???? grrrr....alright, yeah, i am getting panic.

I have almost been too busy to think about the admission results....but....now i am getting nervous and thinking of deleting one school on my list already...

anyone else got any interview (phone,email or whatever news) or news for these schools? --Chicago,NYU,Maryland and George Washington--phd in public policy? or any idea if they normally had interviews??

i hope there won't be any interview. Just be quick--either kill me or let me go to the heaven. Simple as it is!

:blink:

Edited by 2011fall

I didn't apply to Duke, but I emailed UMD to find out what is going on. I have been told that the adcom started reviewing applications only couple of weeks ago, and have not reached any decision regarding shortlisting of candidates. Here is the verbatim:

"The finalists will be notified for an interview-type process a bit later in the Spring. The incoming class will be very small, as you are aware of. But the committee just began reviewing applications a couple of weeks ago, so we have not selected finalists yet."

Wait is really painful, but what else can we do except waiting, right?

Hang in there.

I didn't apply to Duke, but I emailed UMD to find out what is going on. I have been told that the adcom started reviewing applications only couple of weeks ago, and have not reached any decision regarding shortlisting of candidates. Here is the verbatim:

"The finalists will be notified for an interview-type process a bit later in the Spring. The incoming class will be very small, as you are aware of. But the committee just began reviewing applications a couple of weeks ago, so we have not selected finalists yet."

Wait is really painful, but what else can we do except waiting, right?

Hang in there.

it is really better to know the time line...relaxed a bit on this.. thanks!!

Not to add to the confusion but I checked last year's results page on this site for UMD and it seemed like people were getting notified the first week of March or so. That's sort of the timeline I expected anyway.

Guys, Duke did conduct phone interviews. I know because they called me a couple of weeks back. But as they pointed out in their mail, "many decisions are yet to be made and not every top applicant will be immediately contacted to schedule an interview".

As for timeline, going by last year's notifications (Feb 19), I'm expecting us to know by end of next week.

Guys, Duke did conduct phone interviews. I know because they called me a couple of weeks back. But as they pointed out in their mail, "many decisions are yet to be made and not every top applicant will be immediately contacted to schedule an interview".

As for timeline, going by last year's notifications (Feb 19), I'm expecting us to know by end of next week.

Hi Harriser, thanks for this update! i should have read this before i sent email to the admission director in Sanford...hahah~~anyway. I have been thinking of asking him and read some posters on the forum to see if I should contact him. I got pushed out to do so this morning when i read some one from the result is shortlisted. I did not get the interview nor anything.

I am not saying that i will be one of those top applicants. But your post here surely release me. Let's wait it out :)))

I wish everyone good luck!!! ( i will post whatever he replied IF i heard back from him)

Cheers!

by the way, you concentrate in Econ? mine is in sociology.

Good luck to both of us!:D

Hello Harriser,

May I ask how did they contact you to set up an interview? I just recently realized that the email account listed on my CV isn't working correctly. The email listed in my admissions application does work however. Granted, I prob. didn't receive an interview anyway, but just wanted to make sure I didnt miss any attempt to contact me.

The waiting is painful

Also I was wonder if you had contacted any of the professors earlier in the application process? Did you initiate any type of interview/conversation earlier on?

JohnnyQuest (one of my favorite cartoon characters, btw), Duke emailed me at the account I indicated when applying online. As for initiating contact, I didn't do that earlier on. In fact, I've always been skeptical of doing that because it can backfire spectacularly. I guess I'd rather be judged on the application itself rather than any previous contact. Unless of course, that contact was made organically (at a conference/through another Professor/etc)

Yes, I'm planning to concentrate in Econ. They have a few people I''m really interested in working with.

Looking forward to hear what their reply to your email is. Good luck!

Hi Harriser, guess you should have heard back the result already. i emailed admision director and no reply. But the desicion letter just came out right the next week,

Good luck!!

hey 2011fall, did you get into Duke? What about UMD? Did you hear back anything from them as yet?

I applied to 6 schools. No news from any of them yet. Wait is killing me now.

Thanks.

Hi Harriser, guess you should have heard back the result already. i emailed admision director and no reply. But the desicion letter just came out right the next week,

Good luck!!

hey 2011fall, did you get into Duke? What about UMD? Did you hear back anything from them as yet?

I applied to 6 schools. No news from any of them yet. Wait is killing me now.

Thanks.

Nope, got rejected from Duke. Heard nothing from UMD yet. I decide not to ask anything from now on. Just wait for the results. :blink: