Does the big-name advisor matter?

historygirl

The allure of this article is to freak out grad students about the job market and the weight their advisers may or may not carry.

Most of what's in here is true I'm sure, but a person who has a recommendation from a well known adviser would of course have more of a chance of getting accepted, that's common sense for any field.

It may not seem fair but is certainly a typical part of the human condition.

For example: If you're hiring a babysitter for your child would you rather take someone who your mother highly recommended or someone who is highly recommended by some random person you met off of craigslist.

So there's no point in allowing this publication to freak you out, if you're talented then no matter what YOU WILL succeed! :D

I don't think I mentioned being freaked out by this. It doesn't apply to me at all. However, it is a common discussion, and I think it is applicable to those people who are trying to weigh the better program and the advisor they like better. I also don't think the big-name advisor is necessarily the better choice always - if s/he is hands off, controversial, or doesn't make the phone calls, etc. on behalf of the advisee, I think there's nothing to be gained from that advisor from a name perspective.

Here is the problem that I see with attending a school simply for a big name advisor: What if your interests change? What if they have a heart attack or get in an accident?

I think it is better to go to a program with several excellent professors than to pick one just for one big name advisor.

I think it is better to go to a program with several excellent professors than to pick one just for one big name advisor.

I would second this. You never know what faculty turnover may be like. I am finishing up my masters now and after my first year in the program, half of the faculty in my department left. It is a troubling experience for me because I started out working with all of those who ended up leaving. I would also look at who your potential advisor has worked with or published with. Even though they may not be a big name yet, the fact that they have worked with those big names means that they will have those connections.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use