Plan B?

hn531

Hi,

First, I just want to congrats the people who got their acceptance letters. Second, I just want to say that I'm been reading posts/threads on Grad Cafe for a while now (maybe more than a year?). I decided to start this thread for people like myself who are still waiting to hear back from their schools.

Anyway, what's your plan B or .... Z? Just in case if I didn't get accepted to anywhere.

I think I will actively apply for technical positions in the Boston area. Starting salaries are around 55-60-70K a year, which isn't that bad. A friend of mine who just graduated found a job for 75K a year.

Thanks.

Anyway, what's your plan B or .... Z? Just in case if I didn't get accepted to anywhere.

i'm working full time right now, so my "safety school" was actually my job. i also made sure to apply to at least one less competitive school so that i would probably have the option to go to school if i really wanted to.

if heaven forbid you dont get in to anywhere, are you going to try again for the spring? or just focus on working?

another option for you could be to work and take classes on the side. a lot of companies will pay for tuition if it relates to your job and if you stay for a certain amount of time after completing the class.

Hi,

First, I just want to congrats the people who got their acceptance letters. Second, I just want to say that I'm been reading posts/threads on Grad Cafe for a while now (maybe more than a year?). I decided to start this thread for people like myself who are still waiting to hear back from their schools.

I think I will actively apply for technical positions in the Boston area. Starting salaries are around 55-60-70K a year, which isn't that bad. A friend of mine who just graduated found a job for 75K a year.

Thanks.

My plan B is applying to some low end schools for MS so that I can do some thing for a year or so and then apply for Ph.D. next year again.

By the way I have applied at CMU, UVA,NCSU, and Ohio State.

My GRE is 1310 (q-780,v-530)

B.Sc. GPA - 3.0

MAster of Computer Application GPA-3.92

I have no publication but assisting a professor in research in Text mining. I have three above average LORs.

I think CMU saga is finished.

Can you rate my chances on the other 3?

Thanks in advance.

lol. damian i'm really rooting for you to get into a school now!!

I appreciate that! But seriously, I don't have any other options so that would be an equiprobable solution. I'll be sure you record it and have it send automatically to the adcoms.

lol seppuku is always an option.

i'm working full time right now, so my "safety school" was actually my job. i also made sure to apply to at least one less competitive school so that i would probably have the option to go to school if i really wanted to.

if heaven forbid you dont get in to anywhere, are you going to try again for the spring? or just focus on working?

another option for you could be to work and take classes on the side. a lot of companies will pay for tuition if it relates to your job and if you stay for a certain amount of time after completing the class.

I think the whole process and idea of academia is draining all of my energy and spirit. I don't think I can afford to do a MS program right now. Some people told me it costs around 50-60K a year for a competitive school. And i'm not sure if it's worth it to do one at a non competitive school.

Right now, my plan B is to find a 60K job after graduation, but it will be hard since I don't come out of a top tier school.

Also starting a start up sounds really appealing. =D

lol seppuku is always an option.

I think the whole process and idea of academia is draining all of my energy and spirit. I don't think I can afford to do a MS program right now. Some people told me it costs around 50-60K a year for a competitive school. And i'm not sure if it's worth it to do one at a non competitive school.

Right now, my plan B is to find a 60K job after graduation, but it will be hard since I don't come out of a top tier school.

Also starting a start up sounds really appealing. =D

Which other schools you have applied for?

yeah this whole issue with money eats at me too. the opportunity cost of foregone salary plus the cost of tuition and living expenses is always giving me second thoughts.

i'm really hoping for an acceptance from a school w/ funding for MS students (uiuc i'm talking to you!).. does anyone know if BU gives funding for MS? i thought i read that somewhere, but i can't find it anymore

you said youre in the boston area right? try emc--i'm pretty sure they're the largest employer of software engineers (thats what i'm assuming you're looking for) in massachusetts, and starting salaries are usually around 65k+

yeah this whole issue with money eats at me too. the opportunity cost of foregone salary plus the cost of tuition and living expenses is always giving me second thoughts.

i'm really hoping for an acceptance from a school w/ funding for MS students (uiuc i'm talking to you!).. does anyone know if BU gives funding for MS? i thought i read that somewhere, but i can't find it anymore

you said youre in the boston area right? try emc--i'm pretty sure they're the largest employer of software engineers (thats what i'm assuming you're looking for) in massachusetts, and starting salaries are usually around 65k+

Thanks!. I will look into that. I'm in the Boston area. =D 65K is enough for me to pay off my student loans and psychiatrist bills. lol!

Ohh one thing, I feel like I lost an edge in the industry because i spent the last 2 years doing research. And I feel like employees look at particular skill sets. I can't really say I have 2 years of C++ development or Java development or whatever. But I have used many program languages in the research projects that I did.

My CV is way too research oriented.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hn531

Thanks!. I will look into that. I'm in the Boston area. =D 65K is enough for me to pay off my student loans and psychiatrist bills. lol!

Ohh one thing, I feel like I lost an edge in the industry because i spent the last 2 years doing research. And I feel like employees look at particular skill sets. I can't really say I have 2 years of C++ development or Java development or whatever. But I have used many program languages in the research projects that I did.

My CV is way too research oriented.

Any suggestions?

dont worry. if it makes you feel better, a lot of the job applicants out of school that i've seen suprisingly dont have much coding experience

you'll probably want to rewrite your resume and tailor it to relate to the descriptions of the jobs that you are applying to though. ive been involved in a few hirings at my company, and i was surprised to see how many generic resumes we received. it was pretty obvious which applicants just batch applied, and which ones took the time to do it properly

My plan B is the same as plan A, just with different schools.

I stupidly applied to only 3 schools because I was again (stupidly) overconfident about my chance.

One has unofficially rejected me,

One I didn't know is too small and very often rejects good people because research interest is not compatible.

And I haven't been interviewed by them yet, so ... sigh....

The other one, I'm still waiting with all chances still intact.

I've already proceeded with plan B by applying to schools from places I dislike as long as the schools have good reputation :P

To my surprise, many good schools still have Master program deadline open.

My favorite school is now the most hated one, I have already started cheering against them last week in the basket ball game (sadly they still won.. sigh..)

Sooo anxious to get an admit from one of the other two schools, so I can start burning jersey and stuff from my formerly-favorite school that I have already (stupidly) bought >_<

I have a pretty well-paying job right now, and I raked in enough in the last 2 years to fund my entire Ph D myself, so funding is not an issue for me at all.

The only reason I go to grad school is because I can still keep the IP right of my research, and the profs can probably help me doing research.

Well, if it has to be another year applying to more schools, if it has to be through 2 years of Master.. so be it!!!

I will not give up, harakiri is not an option, I will continue applying to all schools that still have deadline open!