MIT EECS

drunk

It seems that a couple of applicants have received the admit letter from EE MIT as seen in the results section and many more are very concerned about when the results will be out. Let's discuss and report results here!

i agree with andandand. From Last year's results page, i can guess that it is going to come soon (today or tomo).

I can confirm that at least for MIT, a lot of the EE decisions were sent out around 11pm EST last night. Looking at last year's decision notification time, there doesn't seem to be too many rounds of notifications (or at all?). Still hopeful that there will be another round though...

MIT Electrical Engineering acceptances went out yesterday and/or today (some might trickle out tomorrow, but they tend to be quick about it).

(I'm a grad students in the department, and just got a few Acceptancees to email with Congratulations.)

Thanks for that information. So the last possible date would be 11th Feb ?

It's not definite as to when the last possible date is. All I'm saying is that decisions are made and acceptances are going out. I would expect it to take them only about 1-2 days to inform everyone.

Results here only seem to be internationals. I am international, but currently living in US. Do they send out these mails depending on the permanent address that you give them?

I know for a fact that a US citizen living in MA (and attending MIT) got in the PhD program last night, so I'm guessing it's not location dependent.

Results here only seem to be internationals. I am international, but currently living in US. Do they send out these mails depending on the permanent address that you give them?

That's just because the vast majority of students who get into MIT EECS are internationals.

No one from my area (3) has reported anything yet on gradcafe, so there still might be a chance...in any case, I am going to assume I didn't get in until I hear otherwise.

So you got into Berkeley? Congrats! Did you get an unofficial admit from a Prof or the official email? Also could you please share your stats? Thanks.

I know for a fact that a US citizen living in MA (and attending MIT) got in the PhD program last night, so I'm guessing it's not location dependent.

I am a U.S. citizen studying in the U.S. (not at MIT). I got a congratulations e-mail ~10:30 pm (Eastern time) from MIT on Wednesday, 02/09. I received a letter+booklet in the mail the next day (the letter was dated February 07). The envelope was marked IV, so I'm assuming this was the area that my interests were determined to fall under. In short, to confirm, yes, the timing of this wave of admissions seems to not be location-dependent.

Some more info that you all might find useful and/or interesting:

- The letter said that information about financial support (including fellowships) will come in March

- Visiting days are March 4-5. The RSVP deadline is Wednesday, February 16, so I assume that they plan to send out all (or almost all) admissions by this date.

- My application website hasn't been updated (it still says check back in March for a decision...), so as far as I know, if you're anxious, there's no point in obsessively refreshing that website. :)

Edited by tfc

Did anyone hear back from MIT (EECS) this week (starting Feb. 14)?

If Feb. 16 is the deadline to RSVP for the open day, then chances of getting accepted are pretty slim for the rest of us who have not yet heard back !!

Also, it makes sense that most of the rejects will be handed out on Feb.18/19 if Feb. 16 is the RSVP deadline. :-(

eh? Is this true for Mechanical Engineers as well? The meet and greet in early March and the RSVP date is same for all majors?

From college confidential, I heard they give sure rejects and admits first. Yes, they have given some acceptance letters out, but I thought there are still a lot more spaces and they are hanging back with the rest of them to have an eye on the class size before making further decisions.

I thought it's a good thing I didn't get a letter from them and that they are still debating cuz I noe a friend who got a rejection letter form them and I haven't received one yet. Plus, their website says people will get to know at the latest like March, so there's hope till then! Right?

eh? Is this true for Mechanical Engineers as well? The meet and greet in early March and the RSVP date is same for all majors?

From college confidential, I heard they give sure rejects and admits first. Yes, they have given some acceptance letters out, but I thought there are still a lot more spaces and they are hanging back with the rest of them to have an eye on the class size before making further decisions.

I thought it's a good thing I didn't get a letter from them and that they are still debating cuz I noe a friend who got a rejection letter form them and I haven't received one yet. Plus, their website says people will get to know at the latest like March, so there's hope till then! Right?

No, I think that each department decides its visiting day separately (at least friends in other departments say that their MIT visiting dates are not March 4-5...and some haven't even heard back yet either), so the dates that I gave are only confirmed for EECS.

Got a letter today:

"You are officially on the wait list with 50 other students. Final decisions will be made in May. Traditionally only one or two students from the wait list are admitted.

You should continue to develop alternative plans for continuing your graduate education."

Slightly better than being outright rejected, at least...but effectively means the same thing.