Enlighten me on UWisc...

tt503

So, there is *the* person that I want to work with at U Wisc. in their Sociology department (Community & Environmental Sociology, PhD track). This person would be a ridiculously good research fit for me, and I think I'm qualified (like everyone else who applies).

Now, not always accurate, but Petersons.com, shows that these are their statistics: Average age 32. 195 applicants, 46% accepted, 25 enrolled.

Is this skewed (e.g. the Ph.D. admissions/rejections are offset by a high admissions rate to an unfunded M.S. or something), because 46% is a high number for one of the best programs in the country.

Thoughts on this?

Also, any "unofficial" knowledge of the program's admissions process would be helpful (e.g. GRE cutoffs, making sacrifices to certain deities, etc).

From what I've heard, admission will be quite different at Wisconsin this year because they're admitting everyone with full-funding for a number of years (whereas before they'd admit a bunch, let them fight for funding, and see who would sink and who would swim), so I wouldn't count on any statistics out there. Even if they're accurate, they're outdated.

• 1 month later...

I've been accepted to this program and here's what I've learned so far:

- only accepting 15 students per cohort, so it's significantly more competitive

- the post above is right - they guarantee funding for five years. sweet deal! :)

- not sure how the GRE scores factored in; however, I applied to another program at UW-Madison that put a lot of emphasis on GRE score; I was pleased that the Soc department communicated minimally about the GREs. it really does seem like they looked at the 'whole package.'

I'd suggest sending your top professor an email with your interests, scores, and how your research would be furthered by working with him/her. In general, I found the UW folks very helpful, if time-crunched. You could also call the Sociology Department and ask any general questions of the secretary. They were happy when I asked for a grad student or two to contact with further questions - that has been incredibly helpful!

Good luck!

From what I've heard, admission will be quite different at Wisconsin this year because they're admitting everyone with full-funding for a number of years (whereas before they'd admit a bunch, let them fight for funding, and see who would sink and who would swim), so I wouldn't count on any statistics out there. Even if they're accurate, they're outdated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

just came back from UW-Madison Sociology visit day - a few more stats and thoughts to throw your way. Specifically: they accepted 24 students out of 350 applicants; from now on, all cohorts will be smaller than 15 students. a good program just got more competitive! BUT, if you can make connection with your dream professor, that's HUGE! Who in particular are you interested in working with?

So, there is *the* person that I want to work with at U Wisc. in their Sociology department (Community & Environmental Sociology, PhD track). This person would be a ridiculously good research fit for me, and I think I'm qualified (like everyone else who applies).

Now, not always accurate, but Petersons.com, shows that these are their statistics: Average age 32. 195 applicants, 46% accepted, 25 enrolled.

Is this skewed (e.g. the Ph.D. admissions/rejections are offset by a high admissions rate to an unfunded M.S. or something), because 46% is a high number for one of the best programs in the country.

Thoughts on this?

Also, any "unofficial" knowledge of the program's admissions process would be helpful (e.g. GRE cutoffs, making sacrifices to certain deities, etc).