MDIV/JD

Presbygeek

S I just figured out what I am doing with my life. Not exactly great timing considering the application season is almost over.

Does anyone know of any schools that have good dual degree programs. I am looking to do a Masters of Divinity in conjunction with a Juris Doctor.

Additionally, one that does not require the LSATs.

Wish I had figured this out earlier!

S I just figured out what I am doing with my life. Not exactly great timing considering the application season is almost over.

Does anyone know of any schools that have good dual degree programs. I am looking to do a Masters of Divinity in conjunction with a Juris Doctor.

Additionally, one that does not require the LSATs.

Wish I had figured this out earlier!

You aren't getting away with getting a JD anywhere worth going to that won't require the LSAT. That and are you really wanting to take on ~$100,000 in debt? Because that's what the top programs cost, and in this economy if you aren't graduating from one of those you're going to be in deep shit. There is a glut of lawyers right now and even those with years of experience are finding it hard to keep or get jobs.

You aren't getting away with getting a JD anywhere worth going to that won't require the LSAT. That and are you really wanting to take on ~$100,000 in debt? Because that's what the top programs cost, and in this economy if you aren't graduating from one of those you're going to be in deep shit. There is a glut of lawyers right now and even those with years of experience are finding it hard to keep or get jobs.

Seconded

There are several universities where you can do a dual M.Div./J.D. degree. At some of those, (Harvard and Yale for sure, probably others), you can apply to the M.Div. first and then apply for the JD the following year after you're already in the M.Div. program. You'd have to take the LSAT at that point, but not *this* year, if it's the timing that's the concern.

The advantage to this would be that you might be able to take a few classes at the law school during your first year, which can help you make sure it's what you really want to do before taking on tons of debt, and may increase your chances of getting accepted to the JD program (assuming that you do well in those classes, of course.)

There are several universities where you can do a dual M.Div./J.D. degree. At some of those, (Harvard and Yale for sure, probably others), you can apply to the M.Div. first and then apply for the JD the following year after you're already in the M.Div. program. You'd have to take the LSAT at that point, but not *this* year, if it's the timing that's the concern.

The advantage to this would be that you might be able to take a few classes at the law school during your first year, which can help you make sure it's what you really want to do before taking on tons of debt, and may increase your chances of getting accepted to the JD program (assuming that you do well in those classes, of course.)

Duke and Emory also have good JD/Mdiv programs. But I also think its important to think about why you want to do both because it is a big investment.

Vanderbilt has a combined MDIV / JD too. Like Febronia mentioned, I believe you can apply after your first year. But yeah, Tahuds' remarks jibe with everything I've been hearing recently about law.

You've received some great advice so far! If you really want to do a JD/Mdiv, do it! I suggest, however, that you have a solid reason for wanting to do both degrees. As others have mentioned, the market is currently saturated for JD's, and if you want to be a lawyer, you REALLY need to go to a phenomenal school. Unlike medical school, where one graduates from law school is extremely important. If it helps, I plan to apply to medical school sometime during my MDiv (or Phd or MPH...not sure what program i'll choose yet) or sometime directly after. Go for it :)

While everyone's advice sounds pretty good on the surface, don't you think that someone who wants to get a joint MDiv/JD has a different purpose in pursuing a JD than becoming a corporate lawyer? I mean, most of these joint degree programs focus on social justice issues, advocacy, urban poverty, etc. The whole point of the joint degree is that it is NOT just an MDiv and it is NOT just a JD. Give presbygeek a break - you don't pursue a joint MDiv/JD if you really want to work for Akin Gump in New York or Vinson & Elkins in Houston. They don't care about it, and there is no way you could compete with their other candidates. There are, however, a plethora of not-for-profit and religious groups that are always in need of legal help by someone who understands the people working there. In fact, the reason most not-for-profits fail is because they can't keep up with the ever-changing legal, regulatory, and tax requirements WHILE ALSO running a not-for-profit successfully.

Presby - Don't let those wise ones deter you. Unless, that is, you really want to be a corporate lawyer, then I officially retract my statement.

While everyone's advice sounds pretty good on the surface, don't you think that someone who wants to get a joint MDiv/JD has a different purpose in pursuing a JD than becoming a corporate lawyer? I mean, most of these joint degree programs focus on social justice issues, advocacy, urban poverty, etc. The whole point of the joint degree is that it is NOT just an MDiv and it is NOT just a JD. Give presbygeek a break - you don't pursue a joint MDiv/JD if you really want to work for Akin Gump in New York or Vinson & Elkins in Houston. They don't care about it, and there is no way you could compete with their other candidates. There are, however, a plethora of not-for-profit and religious groups that are always in need of legal help by someone who understands the people working there. In fact, the reason most not-for-profits fail is because they can't keep up with the ever-changing legal, regulatory, and tax requirements WHILE ALSO running a not-for-profit successfully.

Presby - Don't let those wise ones deter you. Unless, that is, you really want to be a corporate lawyer, then I officially retract my statement.

i completely agree. as long as Presby knows exactly why he / she wants to do it, I say go for it. Presby can get a killer teaching job with an JD/Mdiv. I know a few relatives that have such degrees, and they teach ethics at law schools, med schools, and graduate programs. As baylor2011 mentions, there's plenty of opportunities available in social justice issues, advocacy, urban poverty, teaching, and much more.

however, and to reiterate, you still want to go to a decent law school.