ThM Funding

RyanN

Just wondering if anyone had information about ThM programs. Number one, are they worth doing for someone wishing to eventually get a doctorate, and two, is there any funding available for it?

Just wondering if anyone had information about ThM programs. Number one, are they worth doing for someone wishing to eventually get a doctorate, and two, is there any funding available for it?

Usually there's not much (or any) funding for ThM programs unless, for example, you're an international student visiting for one year because your church paid for it, etc. If you're asking if a ThM is worth doing as a way to help you gain admission to a PhD program, it depends on what school you want to attend, what you'll study, and who you'll work with. As a rule of thumb for top-tier programs, ThM degrees can be icing on the cake for an applicant with a superior MDiv and very strong GRE scores. On the other hand, for top-tier programs, a ThM usually won't help an applicant with insufficient GRE's and/or GPA's.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, it will make you more competitive during the application process, but ghost6 is 100% correct that it will not override other core weaknesses. As for funding, it depends. I received ~70% of tuition at Brite Divinity School.

I would suggest a Th.M. if you're still not sure what your Ph.D. project will be. The kiss of death during the Ph.D. app process is not have a specific, thought-out project. A Th.M. goes a long way to helping with this, and also pushes you to start doing work at the doctoral level (so official doctoral work is not a completely new experience).

I actually asked a professor just that, and here's the definitive answer he gave me: depends. If you're doing an MDiv without much research focus, it could help to give you some direction heading into a PhD program. Also, it depends on the quality of your MDiv/MA program and what kind of program you're looking to enter for a PhD. If you're looking to get into a top flight PhD program but coming out of a less than rigorous masters program, then it could help to prove your mettle with a ThM from a stronger institution. Like the others have said, though, I don't think it's a make or break sort of thing. It won't cover glaring weaknesses, and if you're already a strong student, then you are still a strong candidate without it.