Cornell/Caltech/Stanford Bioengineering

SeeingRed

Hello all- I've been lurking here for a while (pretty much throughout my applications/admissions process) and wanted to hear your thoughts on a decision I'm facing. I'm currently a senior undergrad in Bioengineering, and have applied for PhD programs in BioE/BME. Of the places I've been admitted to I think I've narrowed it down to either Stanford Bioengineering or Cornell Biomedical Engineering. Any thoughts as to how the two compare?

There are at least a couple of professors at each schools that I think I'd be happy working with, based on discussions during my interview visits as well as afterwards, so I'm thinking about other aspects as well (e.g., industry connections, ability to take classes/certificates at law/business schools, general graduate student quality of life and atmosphere, etc etc.). Also, I currently attend UCLA, so location (experiencing something different from where I am now, weather-both the pluses and minuses, etc.) is a consideration too, though not very strongly so.

I'm in BioE too and I haven't really heard great things about Cornell Bioengineering. Stanford on the other hand has a very good department.

Stanford vs Cornell anything, go for Stanford. That's what my advisor tells me. I would say that holds especially in engineering.

Hey, I wouldn't knock Cornell BME, they have a good reputation too. My friend is a first-year Ph.D. student at Cornell and is liking it so far. If you want to do anything nanotech or materials science-related in particular, it's a good place.

As far as your questions, I'd strongly suggest emailing current grad students in both departments. Most are happy to share their experiences with you and will probably be able to help you out. Also, if it's at all possible to visit, you should do so.

I'm in BioE too and I haven't really heard great things about Cornell Bioengineering.

I'm curious as to what you've heard about Cornell BME? When I went there for my visit I thought their faculty/curriculum were rather strong ...

I'm curious as to what you've heard about Cornell BME? When I went there for my visit I thought their faculty/curriculum were rather strong ...

It's more what I haven't heard, as I said, than what I have heard. :|

I don't know about specific sub-fields, so it could well be great in nano/biomaterials as christina says; I'm more into neural engineering.