Interview - how much about art history and contemporary art criticism?

illum

Hello everyone. :)

I just found this forum today and it's been so helpful reading all the posts, and also just simply knowing that so many people are suffering through the same application experience as well! I applied to Yale (sculpture), UT Austin, Columbia, MICA, RISD and Stanford. So far I have one interview in late March. I heard that usually they ask you to present your portfolio for 20 minutes or so, and then have a general discussion with you. It's my first year applying, so I don't even have an idea what an interview is like. I wonder how much of the interview will be about discussions on art history or contemporary art criticism - anyone knows? Will they ask me to comment on certain artists / historical movements? Am I expected to throw names of contemporary artists here and there? Is it OK if I say things that are a bit more liberal artsy - e.g. telling them that my art is influenced by certain writers and philosophers, instead of directly relating my practice to so and so hot contemporary artists?

Very thankful for your reply!

Hello everyone. :)

I just found this forum today and it's been so helpful reading all the posts, and also just simply knowing that so many people are suffering through the same application experience as well! I applied to Yale (sculpture), UT Austin, Columbia, MICA, RISD and Stanford. So far I have one interview in late March. I heard that usually they ask you to present your portfolio for 20 minutes or so, and then have a general discussion with you. It's my first year applying, so I don't even have an idea what an interview is like. I wonder how much of the interview will be about discussions on art history or contemporary art criticism - anyone knows? Will they ask me to comment on certain artists / historical movements? Am I expected to throw names of contemporary artists here and there? Is it OK if I say things that are a bit more liberal artsy - e.g. telling them that my art is influenced by certain writers and philosophers, instead of directly relating my practice to so and so hot contemporary artists?

Very thankful for your reply!

From my experience its not about throwing around contemporary artist's names, but just being able to discuss your work in a way that shows you are familiar with some art history or contemporary thought. Definitely bring in stuff from writers who don't write about art, its not about being fake, just introduce your work, and where you see it going.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two phone interviews, so I don't know if they will apply to in-person interviews, but here's some food for thought:

- be able to place your own work within an art-historical framework (where do you see your work fitting-how have you been influenced, etc.)

- know something about critical theory (I have a personal beef about this since you don't generally study critical theory as an undergrad - it's more a graduate level issue). But both interviewers asked me about my take on critical theory, so I would definitely start reading up on it so you are not caught unaware.

- be able to talk intelligently about some contemporary artists whose work you are following

- practice presenting your work with friends familiar with fine art

- be yourself - if you're reading other things besides art-related that are influencing your thinking then they want to know about it too -- they really want to understand who you are and what you're thinking about.

- be confident - you got this far, right!!

Good luck!!