DC to New York

It just so happens that my admit day for Columbia is going to be at the same day as when I'm visiting DC (I'm originally from CA). I would like to go out to Columbia to check it out so I was wondering if any of you knew the cheapest or fastest way to get to NY from DC and vice versa. I know there are Chinatown buses, but I would like to avoid them because I can't stand sitting in buses for too long. Do any of you know any way to get there on train without being as expensive as Amtrak?

Guest magemaud

My daughter goes to school in DC and Amtrak is, as you already know, very expensive. Even with a Student Advantage membership, it costs about $ 75 from DC to stops in New Jersey where we live. She has friends who live on NYC and they find it's cheaper to FLY on Southwest Airlines from BWI to Long Island, then take the LIRR into Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brandeis alum
It just so happens that my admit day for Columbia is going to be at the same day as when I'm visiting DC (I'm originally from CA). I would like to go out to Columbia to check it out so I was wondering if any of you knew the cheapest or fastest way to get to NY from DC and vice versa. I know there are Chinatown buses, but I would like to avoid them because I can't stand sitting in buses for too long. Do any of you know any way to get there on train without being as expensive as Amtrak?

Nah, Amtrak sucks big time. Very expensive and takes just as long as the bus if not longer. Not sure how they still make money. Even cheap flying will still be at least as expensive as Amtrak, although it will certainly get you there faster - but if you factor in the time it takes to get from LGA or JFK to Columbia University, that might add an extra hour. If your goal is to get to CU, DO NOT fly into MacArthur or other LI airports because they are even farther away - MUCH farther away. They might be cheaper, but if you're gonna do that you might as well take the Chinatown bus. Also keep in mind that BWI is at least an hour away from downtown DC.

As far as travel from DC to Columbia U. goes, I really would recommend either Greyhound or the Chinatown bus, because Amtrak blows on all levels, flying is too expensive, and airports aren't all that close to CU. Just go on one of the off-peak buses, and your trip will only be 4.5 hours instead of the usual 5 to 5.5. For me a cheap 5 hour bus ride beats taking the metro to Vienna Fairfax, trasnferring to the Wash Flyer, flying from Dulles to MacArthur, and then God knows how you will get from MacArthur to CU! Round trip bus tickets are $30-50 depending on which line you decide to take. The Greyhound bus will drop you off at Port Authority which is much closer to CU than where most of the Chinatown buses drop you off.

Guest magemaud

I disagree that cheap airfare would be about the same as Amtrak. Okay, maybe to Newark, La Guardia or JFK, but Southwest ROUND TRIP from BWI to MacArthur is $ 58. But brandeis alum is right, the bus is probably the most convenient, time efficient and cheapest way to go. If you're determined to go on the train it would be possible to go from Union Station to Baltimore on the MARC train, use Amtrak just from B'more to Philly, then take SEPTA to Trenton, NJ and pick up NJ Transit to Penn Station there. That would be cheaper but it sounds like a nightmare to me.