Jump to content

Accepted to Top Choice with Funding -- Should I accept the offer now or wait?


wafflesandwich

Recommended Posts

I just got accepted (today) to my top choice program with funding for four years.

I only applied to three programs -- professors from the other two programs have explained that their funding is incredibly limited and that it is quite unlikely that I will receive funding from them.

Also, I am certain that this school is where I want to be and is the best option for my research interests, but have not heard gotten any official news from the other two programs.

Should I accept the offer now/soon? Or should I wait for word from the other programs?

What is the etiquette for acceptance?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's generally best to wait until you have all the information you're going to get, since you have until April 15 to accept. If it were me I'd wait until I heard from the other two schools if there was even the smallest chance that I could change my mind - you don't want to accept and then later change your mind. It's also advisable to visit the school first to get a feel of whether you'd be happy at the school and at the city in which it's located. That said, if you're 100% certain about your decision and feel like you won't change your mind even if you got in at your other 2 schools with good funding, then by all means go for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got accepted (today) to my top choice program with funding for four years.

I only applied to three programs -- professors from the other two programs have explained that their funding is incredibly limited and that it is quite unlikely that I will receive funding from them.

Also, I am certain that this school is where I want to be and is the best option for my research interests, but have not heard gotten any official news from the other two programs.

Should I accept the offer now/soon? Or should I wait for word from the other programs?

What is the etiquette for acceptance?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have all you wanted, I say go for it! Top choice and funding.. what could the other schools offer that would possibly change your mind?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I might have found myself in this same situation and I am totally feeling the urge to just go ahead and accept when I see the official offer. I still think its best to at least wait a while and think hard and long about it, cause you're committing yourself to 5 years, but the temptation to just accept is pretty hard to resist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could try emailing the other programs late this month or early next month (if you haven't heard back from them) telling them that you have an offer from #1 school with $x funding for y years and that you were wondering what the prospects are for you in their (school 2 and 3) department. It would be good to wait and be able to visit all the schools that accept you to make a fully informed decision, but it sounds like you're already sitting in a very good position, congrats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because I'm paranoid, I would suggest you at least wait until you have a formal written offer from the graduate school in your hands. Just in case. You probably need that before you can give an official acceptance anyway.

Once you have that, though, go forth and accept!! biggrin.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please, wait until you hear from the rest.

You are already in! Nothing can change - no one will rescind the offer!

So just wait until you know for sure what other schools are saying. Then you will be able to accept your top choice with the fullest degree of satisfaction! wink.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use