African History Responses?

TransnationalHistory

I study African history in a global context, and have yet to hear from Boston College, Chicago (though I see someone posted an acceptance in this field), Columbia, Emory, Georgetown, NYU and Pitt.

So far, I have been rejected by Princeton and Yale in this field.

Just checked Minnesota's online apply yourself page....rejected. It was dated today, and I notice another rejection from today on the results page, so it looks like if you're still waiting a decision will be up soon.

Anyway, since I'm already starting to think about another round of application, for the other African History applicants, what sort of language skills do you have? I've just got French, with the idea that I'd learn an indigenous language over the summers. To be competitive, do you think it's good to try to show you've started learning an African language already?

Just got into Michigan! Got a personal e-mail from Derek Peterson. In the email he said the Graduate Admissions Committee had a meeting this afternoon.

Also, if it helps anyone, the email said 4 other people were admitted this year to the field: 1 American, 3 Africans.

Edited by TransnationalHistory

Great to see some Africanists on the boards. I'm rooting for all of you!

Anyway, since I'm already starting to think about another round of application, for the other African History applicants, what sort of language skills do you have? I've just got French, with the idea that I'd learn an indigenous language over the summers. To be competitive, do you think it's good to try to show you've started learning an African language already?

Congrats on Michigan! I'm applying next year, and I speak one African language related to my area of study. I plan to pick up a European language later -- perhaps Italian, since it is the most relevant to the colonial experience of the region I plan to study. From what I gather it is not generally expected that students will have a language (European or African) for admission, but will have to pass language exams for one or two languages at some point during graduate studies. I'd imagine it can certainly help to know a language or two as an applicant, but it won't be the death of your application as it would be for applicants in fields like East Asia or the Middle East. You got into a top program for African history just fine!

Edited by Safferz