Comp/Rhet Writing Sample Topic--Advice?

Comp/rhet folks: what kind of writing sample did you submit? I have half a semester and a summer to come up with something before application season hits, and I'd like to get a feel for what others have done. There's no undergrad thesis in my department, so that's out. I have various academic papers, of course, but they aren't research heavy for the most part. The most English-y papers I have are from a classical rhetoric class where we analyzed discourse through, for example, the lens of Aristotle's common topics; these papers have a very class-assignment flavor. My other class papers are about technical writing (my major): a literature survey on modularizing online help, a web interface critique, archival research about a technical communicator, an essay on historical strategies for professionalization of the field, and so forth. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that adcomms would rather see something related to the field of rhetoric and composition.

So: what did you submit? If it was a research article, what methodology did you employ? What questions did you ask? Did you instead submit an essay or other genre? How did you generate ideas if you weren't given the initial concept by a professor or class assignment?

Edited by techcommie

Comp/rhet folks: what kind of writing sample did you submit? I have half a semester and a summer to come up with something before application season hits, and I'd like to get a feel for what others have done. There's no undergrad thesis in my department, so that's out. I have various academic papers, of course, but they aren't research heavy for the most part. The most English-y papers I have are from a classical rhetoric class where we analyzed discourse through, for example, the lens of Aristotle's common topics; these papers have a very class-assignment flavor. My other class papers are about technical writing (my major): a literature survey on modularizing online help, a web interface critique, archival research about a technical communicator, an essay on historical strategies for professionalization of the field, and so forth. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that adcomms would rather see something related to the field of rhetoric and composition.

So: what did you submit? If it was a research article, what methodology did you employ? What questions did you ask? Did you instead submit an essay or other genre? How did you generate ideas if you weren't given the initial concept by a professor or class assignment?

Hi techcommie. I submitted the introduction + part of a chapter of my master's thesis, which was on Cape Verdean and Brazilian women's fiction and short poetry, and the intersections of identity, culture, race, gender, and movements towards independence within each nation. Obviously it was not technically within the field of rhetoric and composition, but it did tie in with what some of my research interests are (writing and identity, gender theory, etc) for my phd work. My undergrad was in English, my MA was in Gender and Cultural Studies, and I applied mostly to Rhet/Comp programs that would incorporate those things, along with my other interests. I would say just pick a solid piece of writing that demonstrates your ability to research, think critically, analyze whatever it is you're writing about, and write well, and perhaps has some connection to what you want to study in grad school. Hope that helps some. But definitely don't feel like your sample *must* be within the field of rhet/comp. Many rhet/comp applicants don't have backgrounds in rhet/comp, strictly speaking.

I didn't apply to Rhet/Comp programs, and I don't know how well this applies to your given situation, but:

I majored in both Classics and English, but spent more of my time/energy in Classics, including an undergrad thesis that became my writing sample. My SOP talked about 20th/21st c. Jewish-American fiction; my writing sample was a study of a Greek poet from the Archaic period. It sort of showed something of the theoretical approach to literature that I was claiming I'd use in graduate study, but only if you were looking for it. The more important thing was that it showed I could write well, think clearly, and do literary research. I could have used things "more related" to my field, but I went with the stronger paper and applications have been going pretty well so far.

On the other hand -- you've got plenty of time. Contact departments you're interested in, and see whether they do, in fact, care.

Depends on the type of PhD program . . . If it's geared toward technical communication, do an analysis of a technical or scientific document. I'm pretty sure I got into Minnesota (Rhetoric and Scientific/Technical Communication) because of my writing sample: social semiotic analysis of BP.com during the clusterfuck in the Gulf, analyzing structures of photographs, videos, website design, and press releases. However, if it's a program geared more toward composition, do a paper on composition theory. If it's geared toward cultural rhetoric, do a paper like Snappysorbet's. For Syracuse (Composition and Cultural Rhetoric), I submitted the aforementioned paper and a shorter paper I had delivered at a conference: a critique of the Sophistic, postmodern view of "the rhetorical community" with help from Chantal Mouffe (political theory), and Kenneth Burke and Richard Weaver (20th century rhetorical theory).

In other words . . . it'd better be rhet/comp related! But draw on your strengths as a science major, too. Some type of rhetorical analysis of a scientific text is always fascinating.

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear what you all have done.

If you have your MA and are going PhD or are just applying for PhD straight from undergrad then it's probably much more advantageous to have a sample in the rhet/comp field, like over a classical text or Augustine or a modern theorist. If you are shooting for an MA (which is quite common actually considering a large chunk of grad programs don't allow PhD apps without MA's) then you can get away with a well written paper over something outside the field.

Since you've had a classical rhetoric class that's probably a great place to start.