Neuroscience PhD- Programs of Interest

vortexcortex

Hi everyone,

I am currently a biology major at UCSD interested in applying to Neuroscience Phd programs. I currently have a 3.2 overall GPA and 3.0 major GPA, which is definitely on the low side. My GRE score is a 1360(770 M, 590 V). I have 2 years of research experience, but no publications: 1 year researching neural identity genes in Drosophila, and 1 year researching opiate dependence. My main areas of research interest would be cognitive neuroscience(dealing with the study of memory, emotions, or language) or computational neuroscience(using neural networks to model how the brain functions in behavior). I'm not sure which schools would have the best research advisors for these subfields, and which would be out of range for me. Could anyone suggest a list of schools/advisors for my specific interests?

Could anyone suggest a list of schools/advisors for my specific interests?

Sorry, that's your job:)

In terms of your GPA/GRE and where you would be competitive, your GRE is fine and your GPA is a little low but not horrible. It's good that you're starting to narrow down what you're interested in, but you'll have to narrow things down much further still. Cognitive and computational neuroscience are very broad (subfields rather than interests, really), and most any school will have programs in them. Find papers that interest and excite you, look up the authors, look up the papers they cite and which cite them, and repeat. Can you understand all of the methods section? Do you find the approaches they use interesting? Could you see yourself using those methods to study what you're interested in? What questions come up when you read them? etc.

My main areas of research interest would be cognitive neuroscience(dealing with the study of memory, emotions, or language) or computational neuroscience(using neural networks to model how the brain functions in behavior).

This isn't really very specific or narrowed down. Do you have specific research experience related to any of those areas? Why are you interested in them? Assuming you're a junior right now, you still have the rest of this semester, the summer, and fall semester before you apply. Go get some experience in a lab or two doing the things that are interesting to you. Applying to places where you have good fit and have gotten in touch with a professor or two can really overcome weaker areas in your application.